• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christ Church Cemetery Yardley Wood

ColinB

gone but not forgotten
I visited Christ Church, Yardley Wood today and met members of B14 Facebook Group who are attempting to clean up the churchyard there, to see what they have achieved in a short time is a credit to them. They are still on the look out for help in restoring this cemetery and would welcome anyone with time to spare. Maybe you have relatives buried here it would be a nice gesture to pop along and help by tidying their grave.
There are pictures before and after on their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/profile.ph...ristchurch-Church-and-Cemetry/196805823724084 or I have further contact details, they are usually there between 10-2 Saturday and Tuesday.

Colin

Colin, mom says that the church and the state it is in was in the Mail last week. It's just up the road from my Aunty and my cousin got married there - I was one of the bridesmaids in 1972 -but Aunty Ivy says the druggies have got in there and it's not a pleasant place when they are round, such a shame.
Lets hope they get enough people helping to make a difference.
Sue

Sue, there are problems with some of the local yobs, but they don't seem to be around when they are working there.

Colin

As part of their efforts to restore the Churchyard, members of the Yardley Wood-Christchurch Church and Cemetery group https://www.facebook.com/groups/293651323978813/ have made memorial crosses for the 15 War Graves in the Churchyard, and will be placing them on the graves Friday morning at 11:00, during a short service at the Church.
This year "They will be remembered"

Colin

How lovely Colin it would be nice if other churches followed their example. Well done all concerned.

How lovely Colin it would be nice if other churches followed their example. Well done all concerned.[/QUOT
Sorry to hear the churchyard is in such a mess, I grew up in Cleeve Road,
only five minutes away from the Church.Too far away to offer any help
even if I was fit enough, Bernard

I may be wrong but I think this may be a B14 area group initiative not simply the Church but wait to be corrected.

How lovely Colin it would be nice if other churches followed their example. Well done all concerned.[/QUOT
Sorry to hear the churchyard is in such a mess, I grew up in Cleeve Road,
only five minutes away from the Church.Too far away to offer any help
even if I was fit enough, Bernard
I attended Yardley Wood,
Senior Boys School until Easter 1944. I can remember, we had assembly every morning and one morning the Headmaster, Mr Spicknal(not sure how you spell his name) told us that HMS Hood had
been sunk by the Germans, off Iceland and that two former pupils of
the school had died on board.We then sang "Eternal Father strong to
Save". You could join the navy at 14 in those days, Bernard

My Aunty says you can see where the work is being done and it looks better - she lives in Cleeve Road and walks up that way occasionally!
Sue

Back