• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childhood TV PROGRAMS

I loved American programmes as a kid especially Top Cat (wasn't Phil Sylvers one of the voices ?) and Yogi Bear. I expect the US made a concerted effort to sell their programmes over here in the late 1950s/60s. I also loved Bewitched and the Lucille Ball Show. Although Lucille Ball was meant for adults, I liked the slapstick-type humour. Viv
Viv, those were timeless shows. There is a small town near us in TN about 30 mins away that has a Lucille Ball museum and festival each year. Last year we took our two youngest grandchildren 10 & 13, to our surprise they were big Lucille Ball fans and knew everything about her. They had a parade with Mayberry police cars etc., The town normally had about 1,500 people but f the festival which was two days they usually had about 15 to 16,000 people.

I loved American programmes as a kid especially Top Cat (wasn't Phil Sylvers one of the voices ?) and Yogi Bear. I expect the US made a concerted effort to sell their programmes over here in the late 1950s/60s. I also loved Bewitched and the Lucille Ball Show. Although Lucille Ball was meant for adults, I liked the slapstick-type humour.
I used to love Bewitched and the nose twitching Samantha. I practiced that move for hours but it never worked for me…!
Apparently the names Samantha And Darren became very popular for babies here after the show was aired in the UK.

I'd have loved that festival Richard. Lucille Ball was a big part of our viewing in the 1950s/60s. I think we were influenced by my dad's family who emigrated to California in the 1950's. In fact naively I wanted to be American ! I thought everyone in the US lived like Lucy and Ricki.

I'm still transported back to that programme when I travel to the US to stay with my son. Amazing how those programmes of 70 years ago influenced our view of the world.

My mum knitted me a polo-neck sweater - like TopCat's Choo Choo but with an English twist. It had beetles sewn on to the roll collar because I adored the Beatles. Well done mum. Viv

Last edited:
Yes Lynn, Bewitched. That was another programme which convinced me that was the lifestyle.I wanted. The programme was filmed in a very similar way to I love Lucy. Viv

I used to love Bewitched and the nose twitching Samantha. I practiced that move for hours but it never worked for me…!
Apparently the names Samantha And Darren became very popular for babies here after the show was aired in the UK.
Yes, I love Lucy, Bewitched and the Honeymooners with Jackie Gleeson were just fun to watch!

Not strictly childrens television, but i remember being off school for a couple of weeks with some childhood ailment, measles or mumps or something and to keep me quiet my mom used to put the tv on and at the time bbc were showing trade test transmission films for going over to colour tv, these were on for about 30 mins and were quite interesting, one i remember was called Cattle Carters which was transporting cattle across Australia, and another one was about a home made car a guy built from scratch, think it was called something like The Home Made Car.
There were lots of others as well, quite interesting and informative when you have read all your comics and drank all the Lucozade and nothing else to do.

WHO REMEMBERS SOME

MUFFIN THE MULE
BILL AND BEN
LARY THE LAMB
FOUR FEATHER FALLS
ANDY PANDY
RAG TAG ANB BOBTAIL
I was just about young enough to enjoy the early Muffin, with dear Annette Mills but Bill and Ben and Andy Pandy were more my children’s generation. I used to listen to Larry the Lamb on the radio in Children’s Hour but never heard of it being on TV. I don’t know the others but I’ve lived in Australia for 60 years so it’s not surprising.

Not strictly childrens television, but i remember being off school for a couple of weeks with some childhood ailment, measles or mumps or something and to keep me quiet my mom used to put the tv on and at the time bbc were showing trade test transmission films for going over to colour tv, these were on for about 30 mins and were quite interesting, one i remember was called Cattle Carters which was transporting cattle across Australia, and another one was about a home made car a guy built from scratch, think it was called something like The Home Made Car.
There were lots of others as well, quite interesting and informative when you have read all your comics and drank all the Lucozade and nothing else to do.
After reading your post this morning, this came up in my FB feed!

FB_IMG_1693385559902.jpg

Back