• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childhood Games

james houston

Mr Sparks
When we were kids playing in the street you always had to pick who was IT or ON when playing hide and seek ,tag,kiss chase etc.we would choose a rhyme to do this.We sometimes used Eeny Meeny Mynee Mo but most of the time used a rhyme that went(excuse spelling)
Air eye dummer racka chicka poppa rum bush bang O U T spells out.Has anyone else heard of this rhyme and do they know what it's all about.Thanks Jim

Jim

My mother would say

"Air eye dummer racka chicka poppa lollypop a rum bang bush, O-U-T spells out".

Not a million miles away.

There were a few others, one I could recall had a slightly 'adult' theme to it.

"Dip dip dip, my little ship, sails on the ocean, you're not it!!!"
Something like that anyway!
My brother did "One potato two potato three potato four,five potato six potato seven potato more", with each others fists piling up, never knew how that scored though.
rosie.

Rosie, there is a 2nd childhood games thread, started on 14th Feb - if you use the search it is about halfway down the page, not sure how to link it to this post - that also mentions the one potato game amongst others.
Sue

We used to say, 'Eeny meeny mackeracker, dare eye dummeracker, chick a lacker lollipop, a rumpum push.' If 'push' was you, you were out, or not in or it.

Thank you Sue, I must have missed that! I'll check it later.
I've just remembered Pea-shooters! Mine was a bit rusty. I think we used pigeon peas?
rosie

Yes rosie i think they were pigeon peas, i used to hide my pea-shooter in the out side toilet because if mom found it i would have been in trouble, and the pea-shooter would have been in the bin.

My grandchildren love to play "farmer, farmer may we cross your golden river", they love to be chased so tell me to choose a colour they aren't wearing. When it's their turn to be "on" the rules are bent a little.

Back