• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Charge of the light brigade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADELE

master brummie
Hello to all you good folks out there. Im trying to do a favour for some one over seas who had a relative who served and survived the the charge of the light brigade. She has no ideas where to try and find out more about him, can any one help .
His name was Weneslaus or Wenzel Vaclaz Preucil born in Austria 1849 1850. He was transfered to the british army with some Czech calvary before the Russo Turkish war. He was one of the 180 odd men who survived the charge, after the war he carried on teaching recruits to the cavalry.
Any help will be passed on with full credit to the person who found it.
Thanks Adele:)

Ok got some of that info wrong. I think he joined the army in 1849 1850, he wasnt born then.
Adele

The 17th Lancers and the 8th,11th Hussars,were the cavalry taking part.
There is someone on the forum who was in the 17th.Lancers...but it would have been before his time.:rolleyes:.

Hello, Adele,
Please, please excuse me for stepping into your thread with no hope of helping you out in tracing Herr Preucil, but I would like to draw our members' attention to an excellent book about the behind-the-scenes account of the charge of the Light Brigade by Cecil Woodham-Smith. It's called "The Reason Why" and is a fascinating insight into the interpersonal relationship between Lord Raglan, Lord Lucan and Lord Cardigan which goes a very long way into explaining how - as Alfred, Lord Tennyson put it - "some one had blundered".
A "must" for anyone into battle strategy, psychology or even biographies. db84124

Thankyou both for that I will pass on the messages, Does anyone know any good web sites about the battle or how my friend might find out more about the survivors.
Adele

Adele,

Just Google "Charge of the Light Brigade" and you will find reams of information.

Old Boy

Honour the Light Brigade: A record of the services of officers, non-commissioned officers and men of the five Light Cavalry Regiments, which made up the ... from September 1854 to the end of the war (Hardcover) by Cannon Lummis

You might be able to loan from the library or buy a second hand copy via the internet.

Terry

Years ago, some time in the 1960's, I was going out with a girl who rented a room from a Mrs Robinson somewhere in the area of Bromford Lane/Wheelwright Road. I remember the name because the Dustin Hoffman film 'The Graduate' featuring a Mrs Robinson was out at the time. In her sitting room Mrs Robinson had old photos of military men, including one of a group of soldiers who had taken part in the Charge Of The Light Brigade. She told me that one of the soldiers was her grandfather, but I can't remember if he was her maternal or paternal grandfather, and haven't been able to establish if anyone by the name of Robinson took part in the Charge.

I thought the David Hemmings film of The Charge was essentially convincing and fairly authentic.

Big Gee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back