• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chance Brothers: were you there? Can you help with a new book?

Most interesting, but how fortunate that it was taken against that background! This actually dates it to after 1970 (the 'new' geometric logo was designed in 1970), but the patterns on the Chance Fiesta plates indicate it may be late-1970s, perhaps after 1979 if the floral one (middle shelf), under the Panda tray is from the Bouquet range. Was this taken at his retirement, but any 'chance'?

[apologies for the awful, and oft-repeated pun!]

I also thought having that background would be a bonus to you.
Yes, it was at his retirement, and I would be incorrect about the date.
If my father retired at 65, then it would place it about 1970-1973!

I cannot be certain about these dates,
as I also seem to think they stayed on after retirement age!!
So as you said it could be later.

No, this is smaller if anything, unless the forum auto-reduces images? You would need to scan the photo in with a 300dpi setting, or higher (printing resolution is 300dpi - dots per inch). Basically, as high as the scanner can go.

As it might be too large to post here, feel free to e-mail it to me (address from ChanceGlass.net web site).

David,
I'll email you a 1200 scan,
but it's not much better than the original photo.
Incidently, the original is quite small,
and the image I posted here is a makro of it.

After seeing the hi-res scan it does look as though it is a design from 1979, so c.1980 would nail it. Thanks for showing it to me.

this is really interesting and another little piece of history to add to my paper work..thank you!.... has anybody researched or put together a complete list of Chance 'situations vacanct' as would have been advertised in local newspapers. A friend of mine has spent many many hours putting together such a book on all the Situations Vacant for the pen nib making industry...makes fascinating reading!

I have scrutinised every snippet from online newspaper sources, like The Times Online and 19th Century British Library Newspapers. Every item has been carefully stored. However, the amount of Sits Vac that appear for Chance Brothers in these newspapers is quite small. However, I did find some fascinating Australian adverts by agents for Chance, selling crown glass and pressed glass.

I really need access to the dedicated Midland's newspapers when time permits.

I am glad some info was found for Ethan's photo.......great stuff!

Thanks all, for your interest in my little piece of history.
My father would have been 65 in 1980,
so David, you were spot on!
If I uncover anymore information, I'll be back.

Back