• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chadwick Martha

claire-brum71

master brummie
My Gt Grandmother i am told had a few business's in Bimingham .. not sure of the years, but she had a furniture shop, a restaurant, and was a dressfitter, could anyone find something out on her for me please? If it's going to cost then please do not worry yourself, many thanks Claire

***********Update, i now have her marriage certificate dated 19.12.1899 it says she is a Press Worker (aged 19) husband William Chadwick (aged 20) her father James Harvey Barnes residence at time of marriage Hingeston Street (I've looked it up and it's in Hockley near the Train Station) if anyone can find her with her Dad Joseph on a census i'd be very grateful as i can't seem to :( rumour is she was born in Wales, but i am now unsure of that now, withness's looks like John Jo Ranklin and Ada Barnes any help will be most gratefully recieved *****************

Re: Martha Chadwick

Claire
Not much luck in 1896,1912,1921 or 1940 Kelly's. Only entry even vaguely similar is a Mrs Maud Chadwick,draper of 118 Summer Lane in the 1940 edition. Of course her businesses might not be in her name.
Mike

Thanks for that mike.... was worth a try, wish her grandkids remembered more and had asked thier parent's more questions when they were smaller lol She was apparently a woman of some means altho finding anything on her is proving elusive :(

Hi,In the 1861 census, I've found a Martha Chadwick aged 40,living in Dale End,whose husband,Robert was a hat manufacturer. They had 4 children,3 born in Lancashire and the youngest born in Carlisle.

Thanks Ladylinda but that one is too old.. she married William Chadwick in birmingham i think??, she was welsh apparently thier first child was born in Birmingham in 1902 but i havent been able to find her or William on the 1901 census, i even checked Wales incase.. all i have is info off the daughter and a grandchild of one of their 11 children!! Aunty Jeanie remembers as a kid going to the restaurant so i assume it would have been in the 1940's or there abouts given the kids were all born between 1902 and 1924 so assuming she was 20 when she had her first that makes her born about 1882 i believe but she could have been younger when she married i am not sure

Hi,would this be the marriage?View Record
hoverArrow.gif

Martha Ann H Barnes1899Oct-Nov-Dec Birmingham (1837-1924)WarwickshireView Record
hoverArrow.gif

William Chadwick1899Oct-Nov-Dec Birmingham (1837-1924)WarwickshireName:William ChadwickYear of Registration:1899Quarter of Registration:Oct-Nov-DecDistrict:Birmingham (1837-1924)County:WarwickshireVolume:6dPage:25 (click to see others on page

It could well be ladylinda. the date would fit with the first born being born about 1902.. my Aunt said they lived Wainwright Street and most of the kids were born there, but i don't know how to go about getting any info as like i said they aren't on the 1901 census that i can find and if that is their marriage they should be shouldn't they.. i just don't know so any ideas would be welcome, thanks

To check if that is their marriage,you could send off to the General Registry Office for the certificate.The cost is £7.00.(I do it on-line) This would then probably give you an address,their occupations and fathers name and occupation. It also gives the name of witnesses as well. And,of course,the place in Birmingham where they married (church or reg office). Good luck with your search,and more people may come up with more ideas of course!!

Thanks Ladylinda, it could well be them if they married, i'll get the certificate and see what it throws up :)

just had a quick look at Wainwright St on the 1901 census.It comes under Warwickshire,Aston Manor,District 58,page 1 onwards.Can't see any mention of the Chadwicks.Perhaps they lived elsewhere first.

Thanks Ladylinda, they may well have, but where i don't know.. it's mad but noone in the family seems to have any knowledge of her, who her parents were etc.. they cant even remember her husbands family info either, i've had a whle year of trying to find info and got absoutely nowhere.... my grandads Family are proving hard to find, found the Sargents after a bit of stuggle with name spellings, my Nan new loads about them and her Family although they originate in Lancashire and Scotland so are also proving a nightmare to get any further then Gt Gt Grandparents, it's dismaying and i think how lucky some people are to have got back to the early 1700's when i cant get past the 1800's on anyside lol I may have to get the electoral roll and mooch threw till i find them in Wainwright Street, just annoying they aren't on the 1901 census, atleast i would have something to go on.. but they must have been around the Aston area as the Sargents who they married into were all Aston/Balsall Heath/Ladywood, Nechells area, they didn't seem to move very far away from each other from what i can see

Thanks to that Marriage enty and subsequent purchase of it, and three hours help off a cousin of a cousin who i found on genes we found Martha the little minx!!! She was born in Tewkesbury and lied on her marriage she was 16 not 19 naughty girl lol Having found her siblings and mother, i have since matched with loads of people i am related to and have got her mothers side back to 1655 with the help of matches on various websites.. i am just so happy and have many weeks of finding out all about the family i thought i would never find, so to everyone out there don't give up!!!! :)

1930 Electoral Register William & Martha Chadwick are living at -
162 Brearley Street , Birmingham.
They are at the same address in 1920 and 1930 , however it seems Martha is listed by her middle name Annie.

Hi Bojalu, many thanks for finding that.. looks like they lived there quite a while, will see if this address rings any bells with any family members, I have just made contact with one of her sons grandkids, so we are slowly together trying to piece it all together :)

Am looking for more info, having spoken to a cousin she remembers living at 162 and said that Martha had a cafe/restaurant near the Aston Hippodrome that my Gt Nan worked in, and a big double fronted shop which was a drapers and sold everything a few streets away from Brearley Street, can anybody help find anything please or does anyone remember them??? :)

not sure if you have been given this info claire but just in case

electoral rolls

1920 charles william chadwick and martha chadwick 177 havelock rd.

1930 same couple living 58 college rd.

1930 william and martha chadwick 162 brearley st.

1935 same couple same address

That's interesting Shera thankyou, I have a feeling the first ones aren't mine from info i got on another thread after follwing it up, but the second ones are, apparently she bought 162 Brearley Street, it's just trying to find her business's that is the problem, I know when she died her second husband George Higgs took it all and the children got nothing :( she is very illusive though disappearing between 1899 when she married in Birmingham and then appearing 1920 in Brearley Street, theory is she was in Wales but i can't find anything even checked 1911 census.

Hi there,in the update in your first post you asked for any census with Martha and her father Joseph. Not sure whether you have this or not,but in 1891 they are living at 9,Double Alley,Tewkesbury.
Martha A Barnes
Relation Daughter
Father's Name:Joseph
Mother's Name:Harriet
Where born:Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, England
Joseph Barnes 47, Harriet Barnes 47, William Barnes 11, Martha A Barnes 8
So glad that you managed to get the marriage certificate and find more relatives.It just shows that you can get there if you keep searching!

Hi,

Thats throws a different light on things that she remarried, no wonder I could'nt find her on the 1945 Electoral Register :D

Unsure if you have her second marriage details-

Martha A CHADWICK = George R HIGGS
Birmingham Sept Q 1944 : Ref: 6d-753

In 1945 Martha Higgs is living with
Edna Harrison
Catherine Walker
Evelyn Walker
Albert Chadwick
Jennie Chadwick
at 20 Sutton Street, Aston Ward.

The same year George R Higgs is staying at 311 Aston Brook Street.
Remember this was during WW2 so perhaps he was staying there working for the war effort.

Regarding business by Aston Hippodrome have you tried website
Astonbrook-through-astonmanor ?
Perhaps someone may remember her on there.

See my previous post that she is listed as Annie on 1920 to 1925 Electoral register, so business's may be in that name rather than Martha.

Bo

clare
i grew up with a chadwick and the chadwicks lived in inglby street spring hill
hockley bham 18 . they bought a couple of old houses in barford rd
and also they had a business in park rd hockley which was just up
the road from the train station
i cannot remember the house number it was a very well kept house
and the kids was trained to clean the house it was spick and span
if i remember correctly they bought these house for a couple of grand a peice
so you can see how far back i am going .you would not buy an house
in barford rd now for that money .
there business was up park rd [ top end ] just before you got to benson rd
and factory rd hockley .
have a nice day and all the best in pursuing , best wishes astonian ;;;

Linda, thanks for that, she said in 1899 at her marriage she was 19, that clearly proves she wasn't, she disappears for nearly 20 years after then turns up under Annie, bless her she's making things difficult lol

Bo that's fabulous, thankyou, I know the last three are her children, wonder who Edna was, another puzzle for me.. I don't know much about George so that's interesting. I'll check the Aston Brook site, may turn up something now i know more information about what i'm looking for.

Astonian, I wonder if they are my family, sounds like it could be, I know Martha had money as she bought Brearley Street and all the kids had rooms there when they married, so she'd certainly be able to buy more property... amazing how cheap houses were back then, my nan bought hers in the 70's for £6,000 be great if it was like that today wouldn't it.

Back