• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Centenary Square development 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a tank to feed the oblong fountain - see artist's impression in post #12 Lyn.

The one good thing about the development of this area - as I see it - is, hopefully, it will finally have a sense of being 'finished/completed '. When I worked there up until the 1980s it felt unfinished and slightly abandoned. It was a side of town that lacked focus. Be good to see it achieve that this time, but let's see ......

Viv.

Look at 'Centenary Square' now then look at 1st pic in Vivienne's post #27 ! I'll say now more or I'd be banned. Eric

Without wanting to upset anyone, I think the hall of memory is looking very tatty. It could do with a good jet wash while it's fenced off.

Look at 'Centenary Square' now then look at 1st pic in Vivienne's post #27 ! I'll say now more or I'd be banned. Eric

you have started me off again eric...totally agree with you...also agree with you froth..will the billions being spent around there on re development you would think they could afford a few coppers to jet wash our hall of memory..they have done baskerville house but there again maybe the hall of memory comes very low on the list of buildings to clean up
lyn

Baskerville House is now owned by a commercial organisation isn't it? So the council are not involved. But I agree that the Hall of Memory needs a cleanup

Hopefully the shambles will have been tidied up in time for the XXII Comonwealth Games in 2022. I'm sure it will be - if not heads should roll! :eek:

February 2018 in Centenary Square.

Towards Symphony Hall

Towards the Hall of Memory

Towards the Municipal Bank

Area outside The REP has now been hoarded up.

Great pics, thanks to all who posted them. I have really enjoyed looking. I know it's a building site, but it's history in the making.

Sorry I haven't read all of the thread, but does anyone know what is going to be built on the old registry office site.

Just looking through the pics and zooming in to see what's happening near to the old registry office site, where the Strawbridge forge once stood, and spotted a van that belongs to a company that I worked for for 12 years and my partner still works for them! How spooky!!!!! Sorry off topic!

Sorry I haven't read all of the thread, but does anyone know what is going to be built on the old registry office site.

Note it is Register Office not Registry Office.

The project on that whole site is called Arena Central and on the link below is a map showing the plan for the site.

https://arena-central.com/development/masterplan/

The building on the old Register Office site (where I got married) is shown as plot number 3 on the map.

This building will be known as 5 Centenary Square and will be offices.

If you scroll further down that page you can see a drawing of what the building MAY look like (the design is not final yet).

I stand corrected guilbert53! Thank you.

And thank you for the information, very interesting.

Could it be an office of registry, I will feel much better then!!!!

Panoramic update as of March 2018.

This is the site of 5 Centenary Square / 1 Arena Central.

Arena Central with the HSBC building at 1 Centenary Square / 2 Arena Central.

The site in September 2013

What a mess, it looked perfectly all right to me before all this work. The cost, and for what, I,m sure the money could have been .spent better elsewhere.

I couldn't agree more, Elmdon Boy. In 1961, when I left Brum, we'd already had a giant mess created with the start of the Smallbrook Ringway, and I remember several people saying to me then that this would never be finished. 57 years later I look at this mess and have formed the opinion that they were right in 1961. I no longer have the opinion that we will have what could be described as a great city full of life within a reasonable span of time.

Maurice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back