• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Centenary Square development 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.
The drawing in post #18 has two Halls of Memory. Maybe WW2 or a future war was anticipated in 1935 when the drawing was produced. Or maybe it was simply to maintain the symmetry of the the plan. Viv.

Looking at #15 there are various buildings behind the Civic building on Broad Street. Directly behind is a glittering structure (Hotel?), then panning right a flatter building, then one with "+" signs all over it (Mailbox?). Grateful to know what they are. Thanks. Dave.

1 Centenary Square (under construction for HSBC UK), Holiday Inn Express. Arena Central site.

Centenary Plaza / Nitenite Cityrooms and The Cube (near The Mailbox).

and the Hyatt Hotel.

Thanks Ellbrown. The Hyatt looks very impressive but I think that's been there a year or two. Hotel rooms are well sound-insulated these days so I expect that they don't get too much noise from all the building work outside. Dave.

Can't believe the HSBC building is being built so close to the lovely grade 2 listed Alpha Tower. I bet the staff working in the offices are right peed off about loosing their view!

Can't believe the HSBC building is being built so close to the lovely grade 2 listed Alpha Tower. I bet the staff working in the offices are right peed off about loosing their view!

i was saying the same thing froth when i went to the library last week...what a mess it all looks...seems to me as though they are building very close to other buildings so close that the workers in one building could swap their sarnies with the workers in the other building at break time..:D. its looking like a tin of sardines in town...

The concrete lined round hole in the last pic in post #11 looks to be in about the same position as the fountain in this 1960s/70s Shoothill view of the area.

And thinking a bit more about the name of this area pre Centenary Square, was it once called 'Peace Gardens' or something similar owing to the Hall of Memory and The Colonnade ? Viv.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks Ellbrown. The Hyatt looks very impressive but I think that's been there a year or two. Hotel rooms are well sound-insulated these days so I expect that they don't get too much noise from all the building work outside. Dave.

The Hyatt opened around 1990 I think. It has a link bridge to Symphony Hall which is used when a political conference is on (e.g you may see politicians crossing it on TV).

First photo in #22 from Ellbrown shows a "glittering building" behind the civic building which is the Holiday Inn by Express. Stayed there for 3 nights this week and photo below shows the view from our bedroom window on the 10th floor, looking towards the Library. Workmen were digging a very large hole right below us. Not sure what that will be for? Dave.
P1030009.JPG

First photo in #22 from Ellbrown shows a "glittering building" behind the civic building which is the Holiday Inn by Express. Stayed there for 3 nights this week and photo below shows the view from our bedroom window on the 10th floor, looking towards the Library. Workmen were digging a very large hole right below us. Not sure what that will be for? Dave.
View attachment 120951

Think that's for 3 Arena Central.

dread to ask really ell but what is 3 arena central???...thanks for the photo dave ... with a view like that i hope you got a discount on your room:D

lyn

dread to ask really ell but what is 3 arena central???...thanks for the photo dave ... with a view like that i hope you got a discount on your room:D

lyn
It was certainly not the best view that we have experienced from a hotel. However, everything else was OK and we were out most of the day, so it was dark and the workmen had finished when we returned. Only 7-8 minutes walk to New Street Station. Dave.

lyn

It's this:

https://arena-central.com/offices/3-arena-central/

Located at the heart of the development and opening directly on to Bank Court – the centrepiece of the new public realm – the 240,000 sq ft 3 Arena Central received detailed planning consent in December 2016.

Offering efficient floorplates of up to 18,299 sq ft on the upper floors, 3 Arena Central will provide an outstanding business location with geometric glass and metal façades creating a contemporary and complementary reflection of the high quality, fully managed public realm in which it will be set.

In August 2017, 3 Arena Central secured Birmingham’s largest pre-let in over a decade with the Government Property Unit committing to take the full building on a 25 year lease to house some 3,600 civil servants and a number of functions, including the HMRC’s Midlands regional hub.

Site clearance work was started in autumn 2017 with the building expected to be ready for occupation by spring 2020.

While Arena Central benefits significantly from its location close to Birmingham’s key public transport hubs, three basement floors will provide secure car parking and cycle storage spaces with associated lockers and shower facilities.

Yes that whole "square" of land is called Arena Central and it is where the old ATV studios used to be, and the Register Office (where I got married), and I think also a hospital was there, as well as a car park.

It is bordered by Broad St in the North, Bridge St in the West, Holliday St in the South and Suffolk St Queensway on the East.

The old Municipal Bank is currently on that land as well as Alpha Tower and the Crowne Plaza hotel, plus a brand new Holiday Inn Express (opened less than 1 year ago).

The huge new HSBC headquarters is being build on that site, as well as Dandara apartments (in front of the Crowne Plaza hotel).

I believe the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) are also going to build a building on that site.

And over time apartments and offices will be built on the site (at one time it was going to be mostly apartments but I believe it is now going to be mostly offices).

Arena Central web site

https://arena-central.com/

Last edited:
January 2018 in Cenenary Square.

Some of the railings near what was the end of Broad Street have been removed near the future Midland Metro extension.

Water tank

View from the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back