• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cattell Road between the Atlas and Arsenal St

B

billwalkey99

Any chance anyone has a pic of Cattell Rd Between the Atlas and Arsenal St? I have tried describing my old house to my wife but can't get it right.

Our house was 122. No matter how I look I find everywhere but in that short straight bit where we lived.

The attached picture is probably the nearest I can find to Cattell Rd & Arsenal St. I do hope that someone can do better though, Bill. This is an area of interest to me as I had family at 136 Cattell Rd.

Thank you. Actually the pic goes far enough down, except we were on the other side. Number 136, wouldn't that have been past Arsenal St? What name are you looking for. I lived there for quite a while.

Bill I am so pleased that the picture covers the correct stretch of road, even if it was more or less opposite your house. Photos of Bordesley are very hard indeed to find. I do have other pictures of unnamed Bordseley locations -I can remember some parts & not others so if you would like others do say & I will post on BHF.
My grandparents lived at 136 Cattell in the 1930s, so probably before your time, close to what is now the Roost PH which stands on the corner of Arsenal St.

This picture is Callell Road from the other way, still not what you wanted, but perhaps it will give some idea of the house you lived in look like.

When I lived there 1953 - 1960, the pub on the corner of Arsenal St and Cattell Rd was the Marquis of Lorne, still standing all alone after demolition many years later. The next time I went by, the name of the pub had changed.

Small Heath Church of God of Prophecy 146 Cattell Road, Small Heath, Birmingham. Len

Icarus, They must have had lots of converts in this Season praying for promotion to the Premiership and it worked!!!. Len.

Some 30-odd years ago, I took a number of shots around the Bordesley Green. By then, of course, most of the area had already been decimated. I've found the roll of negatives which are scuffed, scratched and the emulsion badly reticulated but I've managed to salvage a few of them.

This is a pic of the Marquis of Lorne pub, which I believe was later used in the Michael Elphick 'Boon' series. Pity the houses you were interested in had already been demolished!
MarquisofLorne-LR.jpg

This shot was taken from Little Green Lane, looking across to the snooker hall. The remains of the Elite cinema can be seen behind the advertising boards. The ads are for Marley flooring and the Mini car with the slogan 'Nips in and out like Ronnie Biggs'. :D
BG012-LR.jpg

Icarus what a couple of gems. I love these old photo's. I have a lot of old negatives but don't know how to get them printed. The problem is the size I think.

Thank you for the photos, Icarus. The Marquis of Lorne is particularly meaningfull & the Boon connection is entirely new to me - I shall watch with interest if the series is ever repeated.
Thank you for your response, Brummie Nick. It just goes to show new sources can turn up in the most unexpected places.

Posted this photo of the Elite Cinema built in 1917, closed late 1940s- 50s and then demolished, on the cinema thread recently. Len.

Last edited:
Thanks for the effort. This was the way the Marq was the last time I was there - TOO LATE!!!!

Another pic from my 70's negatives of Bordesley Green area. Can anyone identify this school (?) and where I would have taken it from?

BG019bLR.jpg

Icarus, Would it be a rear view of the library now a mosque and taken from Garrison Lane/St Andrews Rd area. Len.

I'm sure thats Tilton Rd School, taken across the wastground from around the middle of Templefield St. Note the railings around the Playfround on the roof, cant have been many of those about

P.S. I reckon during winter as well. LOL

Back