• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Catholic schools in Brum, 1960s/1970s

G

garfage

Hi there, I am trying to rebuild a bit of my past and searching for info/maybe even old school chums from the 1960s. I was at 2 schools, St Peters RC which apparently according to an old school report from 1968 I have was on 'Broad St, Birmingham 1' and then at St Francis, which is still going, in Hockley, leaving there in 1972 to go to Grammar School (St Philips, Edgbaston).

I think St Peter's has gone - does anyone have any information on that - and also last time I drove past St Phil's it seemed to be shut down - again, does anyone know what befell it? (I was there 1972-1979).

Cheers!

Hi Garfage; I went to St Peters RC from 1945-52 then to St Chads.
The picture shows the end of the priests house and the two doors to the right they
use to have Boy Scout meetings in there. Head mistress Miss Clements other teachers Mr Padden/ miss Lester/miss Higgins art/ if you go through the symphony hall towards the canal just as you leave the hall stop look up thats where the school
was I did it the other night when I went to see The Eagles lovely memories.
It used to be St PETERS PLACE, at the Broad St end there used to be another church, also an antique shop called Shakespere House. hope this helps.....

Sorry guys, the pix seems to have disappeared, sorry?
All photos before a certain date were lost when the site suffered an attack there is a message at the top of the page to this affect. Many have been replaced where the member is still here and has access to the photos still.

Hi there, I am trying to rebuild a bit of my past and searching for info/maybe even old school chums from the 1960s. I was at 2 schools, St Peters RC which apparently according to an old school report from 1968 I have was on 'Broad St, Birmingham 1' and then at St Francis, which is still going, in Hockley, leaving there in 1972 to go to Grammar School (St Philips, Edgbaston).

I think St Peter's has gone - does anyone have any information on that - and also last time I drove past St Phil's it seemed to be shut down - again, does anyone know what befell it? (I was there 1972-1979).

Cheers!
Hi I went to saint francis school 1967

Hi lyn I lived in barker street just up the road me my brother n sister went to st Francis me Christopher Jackie n Micheal surname Butterly
hi spud..i guessed you must have lived close...yes i know barker st but not your family name..i lived in villa st...have you tried putting in st francis school in the search box..i will have to check but i think we may have a dedicated thread for this school

lyn

hi spud..i guessed you must have lived close...yes i know barker st but not your family name..i lived in villa st...have you tried putting in st francis school in the search box..i will have to check but i think we may have a dedicated thread for this school

lyn
Hi lyn I’ve searched a few places but no luck on any old pictures of st Francis school I remember the priest that was there from the church think it was caning emery or Henry not sure was long ago I have a photo of him if I can I will try out photo on here if I can

Attachments

• IMG_0931.png
    IMG_0931.png
    793.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0932.png
    IMG_0932.png
    895.1 KB · Views: 5
Hi lyn I’ve searched a few places but no luck on any old pictures of st Francis school I remember the priest that was there from the church think it was caning emery or Henry not sure was long ago I have a photo of him if I can I will try out photo on here if I can
Think this is sister Bernard not sure

thanks for the photos spud its always good to have them...was st francis school at the bottom of brougham st ?

lyn

thanks for the photos spud its always good to have them...was st francis school at the bottom of brougham st ?

lyn
Yes corner of brougham street and nursery road then next road down was hunters road which saint francis church was on have a nice evening lyn was nice to get message from you

Yes corner of brougham street and nursery road then next road down was hunters road which saint francis church was on have a nice evening lyn was nice to get message from you
spud the school is still there but i cant be sure if its a rebuild or the one you went to...have a good evening

lyn

Back