• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Castel or Cassell. Boot & Shoe Factory

G

Gouldy

Looking to find any information on three Polish immigrant brothers who landed in Birmingham c1850s and started a Boot and Show factory in Church Street, B'ham. Abraham, David and (unknown) with the surname of CASTEL or CASSELL. David left for Australia c1862 with the others staying behind continuing the business.

My rellies started a Boot and Show factory in Curch Street off Colmore Row around 1850s. I don't know the name of the factory but I do know their surname was Castel (maybe Cassell). I would dearly love to know more.:dft005:

I have written something on the other thread re Cassell an Castel. Had a look at directory entries for Church St.. the only boot or shoe connections listed for the three directories 1855-68 are
12 Darley George., shoemaker
64 Wells James, boot &, Shoe maker

42 Edwards R, boot & shoemaker

57 Bayliss,Richard. boot & shoemaker
Mike

I'm starting to think they were frauds. They were never there at all. I had an Uncle who visited B'ham in the 1950s to locate the family, and even had a newspaper article written, and he never found them. I wonder if the synagogues keep records. There couldn't have been too many synagoges at that time - surley.
Thanks Mike
Graham

Graham
Not really useful but for completeness looked in the 1894 Commercial Directory of Jews of Great Britain which can be down loaded from the internet (I think from the internet archive) and found:
Cassell, Abm., 71 LOWER TOWER STREET. Pawnbroker and jeweller
Mike

Thanks again Mike. I don't quite know where to go from there. Shipping records don't have much as to a passenger's origin. Then again I have no clues as to their year of arrival. I have it that David Cassell left by ship for Australia in 1862.
Thank for your persistance but I think it's a bit of a dead end.

Cheers
Graham

Abraham Cassell born 1845 Poland
1871 with wife Matilda and son Aaron 11 months in Trentham Street
occupation Tailor
by 1891 in church Street occupation Pawnbroker.

Dear Alberta, It sounds like him. Oh wow! That fits with the other entries. Back to the drawing board now. He had a brother with him, most likely a tailor also.
Thanks heaps.
Graham

Can't find the brother anywhere and cannot find Abraham before 1871 except for his marriage to Matilda Goodman in Sept 1869 ref 6d 293
Abraham registered as Castle
Aaron their son registered Cassell June 1870 ref 6d 102

Last edited:
I have found an Abraham Cassell, aged 64, on 1891 census. He is a painter/glazer (Notem) living at 4 Bath Passage. His place of birth is given as Russia and he is married to Rachel, age 44, also born in Russia. They have 9 children Anne (17), Abel (16), Charles (14), Flora (12), Rebecca (11), Miriam (9), Harry (7), Lewis (4), Sarah (9m) all born in Birmingham

There is a Solomon Cassell aged 35 whose birth place is overseas-foreign- Russia place NK, he is also a glazier. He is boarding with his wife, Mary aged 33 born overseas- British- Poland place NK. They are boarding with Jane Phillip at 8 bk 92 Sherlock St.

Dear Alberta and Mikejee, I am running with the likliehood of my log lost rellie being Abraham Castle married to Matilda in Trentham street and Chuch Street. He was born in Poland, and the family was changed to Cassell. That fits what I know. If you wonderful people find anything else I would be most appreciative.
Cheers, Graham

Hi Gee-em, Although I'm still chasing the third brother of David and Abraham, it is interesting that on David's official docs here in Australia, it gives his father's name as N.K. Castel. You mentioned N.K. also. I wonder what that means? A person's initials or a place??
Cheers, Graham

Graham
Do you think that NK means that where in Rrussia (or Poland) they were born was Not Known
mike

Do you think that NK means that where in Prussia (or Poland) they were born was *N*ot *K*nown mike

Good point Mike. I don't really know but I'll take your advice.

I guess a Marriage certificate should give me the parents names for Abraham Castle and Matilda Goodman M:sept 1869, then that should prove rellie or not. Graham.

Hi

In the 1901 census I have found a Abraham Cassell (transcribed as EASSELL) aged 54 born in Poland, Russia (BS- british status?). He is a Pawnbroker, listed as an employer living at Lower Tower Street.

His wife is Matilda aged 56 born in Birmingham?

Children: Harry born 1871 Bham
Alberta B1875 Bham
Philip B1883 Bham

regards

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne, I think Abraham lost his Jewish faith, judging by the children's names. Thank you kindly for that. It was thought that the first child was Aaron. Maybe he died by 1901. Cheers Graham

Hi Graham

Have you seen the family tree on Ancestry? (or is it yours?).

If you search for Aaron Cassell it comes up with father as Abraham Cassell B1844 Poland and Mother Matilda Levin B1853 Birmingham.

Siblings are Harry, Sarah, Louis, Charles and Philip.

Suzanne

No that family tree is not mine, in fact I am not a member of that organisation. Maybe I should. Thanks for the tip. Cheers Graham.

Hi,I have a Abraham Cassell in my family tree born c1825 in Preuben (Prussia),his daughter(Annie) was my gt grandmother,they became furriers in birmingham,if it's the same family.regards jason.

Hi Jason,
I want to believe that we have a connection here, but my Abraham Cassell/Castel was born 1845, I believe. It has also been suggested that he had 3 sons and a daughter Alberta born 1875 all in Birmingham. Maybe Alberta could have been Annie in handwriting. And yes it was Prussia. Abraham had two brothers, one of which is David, who I am related. They all came from Prussia and settled in B'ham. It would be hard to believe that their could be someone else at that time that was not related with the same name from the same country. What do you think?
Thanks, Graham.

Hi Graham,it is possible they are related,maybe alberta was one of abrahams siblings children?
The other possibility is they aren't related at all,our line, we think came from the town of Kassel in germany,
apparantley when a lot of these families fled they took the name of their hometown as they're surname,which then became angelised.follow the link it may help you.
regards jason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kassel

Hi Jason, Thanks for the Kassel info and have checked it out and seems a very likelihood. Do you have any siblings for Abraham? Graham

Hi Graham,no we don't have any siblings as yet,still searching.if i find anything of interest i'll be sure to let you know.good luck.jason

Hi Jason, According to the Melbourne Births Deaths and Marriages, my David Castel was married in Ballarat, Victoria 6-2-1876 and lists his age as 30 years. His parents were listed as NK Castel & Genndel NK. I do not know what the NK means. His birth place was listed only as Poland. I have also found a handwritten note by a distant descendant who says he has an old and worn photo of Abraham and his family. The face are indistinguishable but may still hold some clues as to his children. I will try to make contact with him and get back to you. Cheers Graham.

N/K means Not known, so the Christian name of Davis's father is not known, neither is the surname of his mother.

Have you seen the information on the 187/81/91/ and 1911 Census for Abraham Cassell Pawn Broker, born Kola, Poland in 1844/5 ?
Let me know if you would like me to post it here.

98 Wrentham Street Birmingham
Abraham Cassell age 26 married Tailor born Poland
Matilda do 26 Birmingham
Aaron do 11months do

70 Lower Tower Street - shop
Abraham Cassell age 36 married Pawn Broker born Kola Poland

1891 71 Church Street
Abraham Cassell head age 47 married Pawn Broker born Poland
Matilda do wife 46 do Birmingham
Louis do son 19 single Assistant Pawn Broker born Birmingham
Sarah do dau 14 Scholar do
Charles do son 12 do do
Alberta do dau 10 do do
Philip do son 8 do do
Martha Nowell Servant 29 do Servant domestic Staffordshire

I can't find the family in 1901

102 Pershore Road Kings Norton Worcestershire

Abraham Cassell head age 67 Marr Retired Pawn Broker born Kola Poland
Matilda do wife 66 do Birmingham
Harry do son 40 single no occupation Private means do
Ellen Davies serv 22 servant

Abraham and Matilda had been married for 41 years, there were 9 children born, 6 living and 3 had died.

Last edited:
Thank you Di for this. I did have some information already but with no confirmation as to whether these are my missing rellies. If they are, the info I have and with what you have supplied, the following is what we have all but 2 children.
Abraham Cassell b: 1845 Poland > BIRMINGHAM, UK
Matilda Goodman b: 1844 BIRMINGHAM, UK m: ??-9-1869
2) Aaron Cassell b: ??-6-1870 BIRMINGHAM, UK - died
2) Harry Cassell b: 1871 BIRMINGHAM, UK
2) Louis Cassell b:1872 BIRMINGHAM, UK
2) Alberta Cassell b: 1875 BIRMINGHAM, UK
2) Sarah Cassell b: 1877 do dau 14 Scholar do
2) Charles Cassell b: 1879 do son 12 do do
2) Philip Cassell b: 1883 BIRMINGHAM, UK
I somehow have to find Abraham's siblings to see if it ties in. Maybe the 3 brothers lived together prior to 1869 when Abraham married.

Hi Gouldy. I can't see any of the brothers other than Abraham in 1871. I bet they were living together and mistranscribed. Can you imagine arriving in Birmingham speaking Polish in the mid 19th century. I will let you know if I find the other brothers.

Back