• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Carnegie Institute

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
WAR WORKERS NURSERY AT THE CARNEGIE INSTITUTE, HUNTERS RD, HOCKLEY, BIRMINGHAM, WARWICKSHIRE, ENGLAND, UK, 1941.

This was where the women used to leave their children to be looked after whilst they went to work in the local factories. The middle picture is of the nurse laying out the children for their afternoon nap.

Attachments

• large.jpg
    large.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 16
  • large (1).jpg
    large (1).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 18
  • large (2).jpg
    large (2).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 16
My children, when young and before school age - which was a sensible five years old then and not some form of kindtergaten - always had an afternoon nap. It was respite for mother and ensured that the children were not being difficult and crying a lot later in the day. They were ready for bed when dad came home -providing I was not at a long fire.
It is frequently quite plain, when out or shopping, that many young children are tired out and hence a nuisance to everyone, not just the parents. Sadly, it seems, that childhood seems very curtailed in years for most young children these days.

Given the date of 1941 and situated in Hockley, caused to to wonder if any Forum Members are amongst those youngsters having forty winks! :biggrin:

Well Alan,I came from Hockley but I was'nt born till 1946 so I was'nt one of those children, and to be honest I cannot remember a thing till after I started school. I can't even remember the day I started like a lot of people claim to. I must have had an afternoon nap though cos it became a habit and I still do :rolleyes:

Back