• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cannon Hill Park

#63 Cannon Hill Park
#63 Cannon Hill Park (6).jpg

#64 Cannon Hill Park
#64 Cannon Hill Park (7) - Entrance.jpg

#65 Cannon Hill Park - Cricket Pitches - c1900s
#65 Cannon Hill Park (8) - 1900s.jpg

#66 Cannon Hill Park - Bandstand
#66 Cannon Hill Park (9) - Bandstand.jpg

#67 Cannon Hill Park - Bandstand
#67 Cannon Hill Park (9A) - Bandstand.JPG

#68 Cannon Hill Park - Entrance
#68 Cannon Hill Park (10) - Entrance.jpg

#69 Cannon Hill Park - Entrance
#69 Cannon Hill Park (10A) - Entrance.JPG

#70 Cannon Hill Park - Entrance - c1905
#70 Cannon Hill Park (11) - Entrance - 1905.jpg

#71 Cannon Hill Park - Entrance - c1908
#71 Cannon Hill Park (12) - Entrance - 1908.jpg

I came across this old photo of Cannon Hill Park today, it confirms something that I have always knew and often wondered what happened to it. I'm talking about the existence of a second smaller glacial boulder that in the time I am talking about was much nearer the larger boulder.

I remember visiting the park one day in the late 50's or early 60's and discovering it was gone. We always assumed that somebody had rolled it into the lake as that sort of behaviour is not a new phenomenon. Only I know the lake has been drained since then and I wonder why it was not replaced. Does anybody know what really happened to this second smaller glacial boulder?

Hi, Phil,

This Cannon Hill Park boulder is interesting. You say it was missing in the late 50s or early 60s, and I remember one just like it being in Farm Park, Sparkbrook. Just like the Cannon Hill one, it was rumoured it was a meteorite. I visited a much-changed Farm Park a few years ago and saw the boulder had gone. However, the Cannon Hill boulder was back on view when I took a nostalgic walk around there. Could they have been one and the same, interchanged between the two parks over the years?

Regards, Ray

#74 - Cannon Hill Park - Lake
#74 Cannon Hill Park - Lake.jpg

#75 - Cannon Hill Park - Floral Crown
#75 Cannon Hill Park - Floral Crown (1).jpg

#76 - Cannon Hill park - Multi-View
#76 Cannon Hill Park - Multi View.jpg

A tram turning into Willows Road, opposite Cannon Hill Park. A similar view is shown in post #19. In this 1907 view men seem to doing something in the middle of Edgbaston Road (left). Road works ? Viv.
image.jpeg

The ICC Champions Trophy is back at Edgbaston again. Noticed these guys in Cricketeers outfits near the park.

Edgbaston Road was closed yesterday from 9am until 11am but the no 1 bus was let through.

Hi, Phil,

This Cannon Hill Park boulder is interesting. You say it was missing in the late 50s or early 60s, and I remember one just like it being in Farm Park, Sparkbrook. Just like the Cannon Hill one, it was rumoured it was a meteorite. I visited a much-changed Farm Park a few years ago and saw the boulder had gone. However, the Cannon Hill boulder was back on view when I took a nostalgic walk around there. Could they have been one and the same, interchanged between the two parks over the years?

Regards, Ray

Sorry Ray I only saw this post today whilst replacing some images to the thread, The glacial boulder I was talking about was the much smaller one to one side of the larger one. I don't ever remember the larger one going missing, as it must weigh a couple of tons you would need a crane to shift it. As I understand it the boulders were found whilst the lake was being excavated , as there was once a lake in Farm park perhaps the boulder there was found in the same fashion.

cannon hill (2).jpg cannon hill park-2.jpg
My Dad used to take us three lads and Mom to Cannon Hill and it was always the same. nice café, plenty of people fishing and very tranquil.

Cannon hill1.jpg
cannon hillpark early-1900s-.jpg
Like many other families, we always enjoyed a day out at this park.

Our early 20th century ancestors certainly knew how to chill out ! But I think they also really valued their free time and spent it outdoors whenever possible (unlike today where so much time is spent glued to a TV set!) viv.

PS did I say "TV set" ? That's a dated phrase.

#77 - Cannon Hill Park - 1927
#77 - Cannon Hill Park - 1927.jpg

#78 - Cannon Hill Park - The Lake
#78 - Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.JPG

#79 - Cannon Hill Park - The Lake
#79 - Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.jpg

#80 - Cannon Hill park - The Lake from the Bridge
#80 - Cannon Hill Park - The Lake from Bridge.jpg

Back