• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Can YOu Remember Your First Day At Work

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
I did 10 minutes ago.

My youngest Son Oliver 16 has just left the House to start his first Job.

Its only part time but I feel like its my first day I even have the Butterflies as I write this.

Re: Can YOu Remember Your First Day At Wok

Yes I can Alf, I was 13 and got a job at Mavis's hairdressers on the Litchfield rd Aston. I put my dress on I made at school I can still remember what it looked like with a sticky out skirt and loads of net under, it was white with big pink roses on and a very wide waspie belt on. I was in or of Mavis she looked so glamorous and still does, she smelt lovely too and I thought I want to be just like her when I am older. I got the job and stayed with her till I was about 23yrs. She lives on Rodeo Drive in America and still looks amazing at 74yrs.

My first job was at Tulgroves working on a hand press, the money was really good, it was piece work, and boy did I work fast to get thet extra money.

here we all are about 10yrs ago all the girls at a meet up, we have one when mavis is over, she is the blonde in the middle and I am by her side on the left.
Line up from left, Barbara, me, Mavis,Jill,Carol,Rhoda and Diane

View attachment 36813

Alf,

Fortunately I can't remember that first day! At the age of 14 I started work at Berry's 'Magicoal' fault finding and fixing. I had a work bench at the end of the assembly line that was 'manned' by a bunch of women that looked like the cast from West Side Story! I guess that they thought that they all looked 'sexy' but to my young eyes they looked like my mother.
icon10.gif

I was never very happy at work as my childhood ambition was to make a career in the RAF, but mom wouldn't let me and didn't sign my papers for RAF Halton. I then switched my dreams to becoming a pro cyclist and in an interview for my next job, near the jewellery quarter, the boss asked me what my ambitions were, I said "to become a pro racing cyclist" He nearly blew his top saying that he meant in his firm. I got the job and also became a pro racing cyclist. That's having your cake and eating it.

Graham.

I stayed on at school had one interview and got the job. It was at Craelius Diamond Drilling Co. I dreaded it even though my bosses were lovely [apart from one] and he was English. The others were Norwegean and Mr Felstrom was my mentor. I realised on the first day office work was not for me but what would I tell my parents as it was I who wanted to stay on at school and take my exams. I remember being shown round that day introduced to Gerry Levine factory manager and being told to hold two handfulls of industrial diamonds. Within a year I was off doing the job [or one of them] I had wanted to do. Patty did Dianne on your photo go to our school?. Jean.

I think so Jean a couple of years younger. Her last name is Maltby and that was her sister by her Rhoda, they lived in Holland rd

I was 16 when I started my first job. This was after spending a year at college learning shorthand, typing and bookkeeping. The firm was in Vittoria Street in the jewellery quarter and they made leathergoods; handbags, briefcases etc.(they used to supply Midland Educational referred to on another thread) There were three of us in the office - and one of the ladies was the wife of the boss!!! The wages were good for that time, £3.10s.0d. a week. I left after twelve months to work for the M.D. of a nail/screw manufacturer in Hurst Street.Anthea.

Alf, my first job was a part time one at the Co-Op butchers on Wheelwright Rd Erdington. I was about 11 or 12 and my Nan got it for me as a regular customer. I can remember it vividly even today. First thing on Saturday morning I had to clean the fresh chickens delivered. That entailed scoring around the bottom of the necks and pulling the neck skin and head off. Then chopping off the neck to keep for later. Then shoving my hand up their bums (should have gone on to be a doctor!!) to feel for and pull out the liver, heart and crop. Careful not to puncture the crop because that would leave a bitter taste in the chicken. Chuck that away and put the liver, heart and neck inside the chicken so people could make gravy with them. The last thing was to make sure that there wasn't too much fat stuck around the hole at the bottom - I'd pull some away and leave a bit to ensure some nice juicy fat while it cooked. (Going to have to have a roast chicken dinner tomorrow now!)
During the day I learned a bit from the butcher with his cheeky chat with the customers - it stood me in good stead later in life. I won't explain what he did with a chicken's neck and his apron!!!!!!!!!
The worst bit was at the end of the day. I had to scrub the 2 wooden chopping blocks with a wooden thing with metal prongs. It sort of planned the dirty wood off and left them spotless - at least that was the idea.
I loved that job.

David after that I'm glad we are having Pork tomorrow.

The 'Worker' has just returned home.

'How did you get on'? 'Didn't know you had to stand up that long in the Kitchen' 'Well you were working in one'

With that he went up to his bedroom

Special day for your son Alf. He probably won't say much about it as I know only too well.

My first day at work was in the British Railways office at New Street Station. The station was more or less in it's original condition in those days. There I was in a small typing pool of eight and then later on ten girls. I was given an old(even in 1957) Underwood typewriter with a cork platen. It was well oiled and very fast. I received a free pass for travel on the diesel from Gravelly Hill station which was a bonus since I think my wages were two pounds, ten shillings per week.

It was a great place to work even though the Supervisor was very strict
and it was a bit like school except you received a pay packet at the end of the week! Stayed there for over a year. Learned a lot about life from those older women in the office!

Enjoy your pork tomorrow Alf. Hope the crackling's nice and crispy for you. We're in Southwold in November so I'll try to get down to say hello!

I will David

Also I'll enjoy seeing you at last

My first day working in a factory was Shellys Aston Brook St.
My 15th.birthday 31.12.1951,there was a power cut,and we were sent home early.

My first job,before leaving school was butchers boy,for Bert Steele in Upper Sutton St.Aston,I was about 11.However,I learnt more there than school could teach me.

Alf - I'm worried, I've tried hard to remember my first day at work and I can't. I vaguely remember having to make about 20 cups of tea twice a day with sugar in some, no milk in others, make sure the right cups got to the right people, saucer for the boss etc, but I don't think they gave me that responsible job on my first day. I suppose it was good training. :D

Last edited:

My first job was as a lab-technician in the Chemistry Dept at Birmingham University. I started on January 6th 1963, right in the middle of the worst winter in living memory. My boss was the Senior Technician Mr Ken Goodfellow, who liked to portray himself as a hard nut, but was really an old softie at heart. My first day was spent being shown around and being introduced to everyone, and making my first batch of coffee - about 25 cups if I recall. I think it was several weeks before I actually did anything remotely connected to work....

I was always glad to get to work, as the labs were lovely and warm after the freezing two-bus journey to work. They were a good bunch of guys and gals, many of them real characters, and one thing is certain - in those days nobody ever collapsed from over-work at the Uni. Outside term-time there was rarely enough to keep you busy all day, and there were all sorts of 'foreigners' going on, including the rebuilding of a car engine in one of the labs. I loved that place, and still go back from time to time, but after four years I realised that I could make a lot more money working in an industrial lab, and reluctantly left. What I really missed were the Saturday-night 'hops' at the Students Union - I saw The Who, Cream, The Animals, Alan Price, Georgie Fame, Gino Washington, John Mayall, and many, many more.

Big Gee

My first day was at Birmingham Co-op in 1977, Are You Being Served was on TV at the time and I imagined that was how it really was lol and I wasnt far wrong. I was a Trainee Sales Manager on the grand sum of £16 a week....I left in 1979 as the Co-op was sliding towards its close in the city centre

I left school at fifteen in 1955. I wanted to be a tailor because my dad was always on about how much suits cost. I spent the next few weeks hand sewing pocket flaps, it drove me mad. My brother worked on the Co -oP milk so I went there for a job. No luck but I could start Monday at the bakery in Stetchford. I went for it and was an assistant on the round that served Shard End. We went over the bl***y Baily Bridge twice a day. I was still not happy because I was working until 4 in the afternoon and my brother on the milk was home by dinner time every day. I eventually got a transfer onto the milk but it was not to last.

HI I REMEMBER MY FIRST DAY AT WORK IN THE OFFICES FOR ASTLEY VULCAN FINANCE .IN LIONEL STREET.MY WAGES WERE £3.4s.5p..I GAVE 2.00 TO MY MOM.10 SHILLINGS FOR A CLOTHING CLUB 5 SHILLINGS FOR BUS FARE AND 5 SHILLINGS FOR A LUNCH EVERY DAY.THAT LEFT 4 SHILLINGS AND FIVEPENCE TO BUY MY STOCKINGS AND HAIR LACQUER AND GO TWICE A WEEK TO THE WEST END BALLROOM ..HOWS THAT FOR MAKING YOUR MONEY STRETCH...I WAS SCARED STIFF ON MY FIRST DAY AS I WAS WORKING WITH OLDER GIRLS (I WAS FIFTEEN ).BUT THEY WERE VERY KIND TO ME ..THEY CALLED OUR OFFICE SUPERVISOR FLORRIE .WHICH I THOUGHT WAS REALLY FORWARD BUT I SOON GOT INTO THE SWING OF THINGS.......

my first day at work at astley vulcan finance co in lionel street. i earned £3..4..5p.a week .i gave my mom 2.00 ....10 shillings to a clothing club .5 shillings for bus fares ..five shillings for dinner tickets ... the other 4s 5p i went twice a week to the west end ballroom and bought my stockings and hair laquer and makeup. hows that for making your money eke out ....i was really nervous as i was working with older girls but they made me feel at home and i soon settled into the job ...

I can't remember the first day, but it was at the Metro-Cammell works in Common Lane, Washwood Heath. I guess we were shown around, given our pay numbers (mine was 9176!) and lockers for overcoats, etc. Nice cooked dinners and puddings in the canteen there, I remember.
Factory work wasn't for me, though, so I didn't stay too long.

I can't recall my first day either, how daft is that. As I have often banged on I worked Kynochs or ICI as it became, I stayed until we were married and moved away from Birmingham. This year I met up with a couple of old pals from those days, there were five of us, two of the girls I have satyed in touch with but it had been 50 years since I saw the other two.
Here they are/ L to R Joyce, Maureen, Peggy, Lorna. I went to school with Lorna

View attachment 36922

di..how lovely to meet up with your friends after 50 years thats a great pic of them...well i know i was very nervous when starting my first job in the jewellery quarter..i was certainly the baby there...the only men were the owner of the firm and the manager.. all the rest were woman no younger than about 40..need not have worried though as they treated me like one of their own kids...happy days...

lyn

Hi there, I stayed on at school for an extra year for shorthand and typing, then at 16 i got a job at william newman in hospital street, in the buying office, mr. Wiggley was my boss i enjoyed my time there,

Yes,I can remember my first day at work.I can even remember the date-16th September 1968 (I can't remember what I was doing yesterday though!). I was a student trainee with the CEGB at Nechells Power Station.I had a BSA motorbike in those days,and it rained all the way from home in Sutton to the power station,which was just about the last thing I needed to arrive on my first day looking like a drowned rat!
I remember having to report to the Deputy Station Superintenant, a Mr.Albert Stafford,and was then given a tour of the power station by a trainee who had started the previous year.At least the rain had stopped for the journey back home!

hi alf my first job was in a office for 17shilling a week in 1945 gave that up went to work at cranes in floodgate street near the bullring
is the street still there

my first was as an office junior at mulliners in bordesley green road
it was a wonderful company friendley staff good conditions
xmas party canteen etc

my first was as an office junior at mulliners in bordesley green road
it was a wonderful company friendley staff good conditions
xmas party canteen etc

Will this bring back memories alana

GZU7-Body-Plate.jpg

Just corrected a missed letter in the Title