• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Camp Hill Past & Present pt 1/2

Joseline

proper brummie kid
Hello everyone, it's my first posting on this platform but I have been an avid user for over 2 years now. I have learnt a lot about Birmingham browsing this site, which I am extremely grateful for.
I have recently made & uploaded on YouTube a video of Camp Hill Past & Present and I thought you might be interested in watching it. So here is the link to the video. I hope you like it.

Also, I am looking for the current sites of 2 pictures in Ravenhurst St, Deritend.
photo 1: 89 Ravenhurst St; photo 2: Ravenhurst St fire station.
Any idea?
Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 89 Ravenhurst St, 27 Feb 61.jpg
    89 Ravenhurst St, 27 Feb 61.jpg
    829.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Ravenhurst St fire station.JPG
    Ravenhurst St fire station.JPG
    427.8 KB · Views: 15
Hello everyone, it's my first posting on this platform but I have been an avid user for over 2 years now. I have learnt a lot about Birmingham browsing this site, which I am extremely grateful for.
I have recently made & uploaded on YouTube a video of Camp Hill Past & Present and I thought you might be interested in watching it. So here is the link to the video. I hope you like it.
hi joseline...where do i start...thanks for that amazing video you have put together and thank goodness for members like yourself who are happy to share photos and the research they have done...the music that accompanied the video suited my mood as i watched...sad because there were many historical buildings that should have survived the brutal demolision of this cities history and of course it still goes on and will continue to do so...i am not so stuck in the past not to know we must have progress but does it have to be at such a heavy cost and only to be replaced by souless boring areas with no life in them that remind me of the old song. "little boxes"..moan over

thanks again and i hope someone can help you with your ravenhurst st question

lyn

I hav emy doubts as to the accuracy of the fire station photo. the 1910 Kellys does not lists a fire station in Ravenhurst st. Possibly it was a fire in Ravenhurst st attended by the local fire station, which would I think have been in Moseley St.
The map below gives the position of no 89 in red (ignore the blue marker)

Ravenhurst st c 1889.jpg

Excellent work!
How the area has changed over the years, my Nan and Grandad were married at the big church in the early 1900's - nice to see it's still standing.

I hav emy doubts as to the accuracy of the fire station photo. the 1910 Kellys does not lists a fire station in Ravenhurst st. Possibly it was a fire in Ravenhurst st attended by the local fire station, which would I think have been in Moseley St.
The map below gives the position of no 89 in red (ignore the blue marker)

View attachment 178412
Thank you Mikejee :) I am not going to add the Fire Station pic to my video because of too much uncertainty. I'd rather be on the safe side.

hi joseline...where do i start...thanks for that amazing video you have put together and thank goodness for members like yourself who are happy to share photos and the research they have done...the music that accompanied the video suited my mood as i watched...sad because there were many historical buildings that should have survived the brutal demolision of this cities history and of course it still goes on and will continue to do so...i am not so stuck in the past not to know we must have progress but does it have to be at such a heavy cost and only to be replaced by souless boring areas with no life in them that remind me of the old song. "little boxes"..moan over

thanks again and i hope someone can help you with your ravenhurst st question

lyn
Hello Lyn,
Thank you so much for watching. I'm glad you enjoyed the video. I plan to cover most of Bham to show how the area has changed throughout the years. Camp Hill pt 2 will be ready soon. Take care.

The Fire Station Houses were at #100 - Ravenhurst Street - Percy Stinchcombe and #101 Ravenhurst Street - William Johnson.
The Wheeled Escape would have been stored outside the 2 Fireman's houses.
(Source - 1911 Census)
Thank you so much, I almost gave up with that photo... :)

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
The 1911 Birmingham Fire Brigade Annual return highlights
2 Personnel.
1 Curricle Fire Escape.
1 Large Hand Pump.

1911 BFB Return.JPG

Hi Joseline,

Many thanks for bringing your film to the forum.
I have many happy memories of the area as I went to K.E. Camp Hill School
there in the 1950s.
It looks to be now in a very desolate state. Let's hope that redevelopment
is kind to it.

Kind regards
Dave

What a beautiful and sympathetically produced video Joseline! I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

Like Dave89, I went to the school at the top of Camp Hill which had been converted to Waverley Grammar Lower School, by the time that I attended (1959-61), so many of the old photos brought back childhood memories. I'm eagerly looking forward to part 2

Back