• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Calthorpe Motorcycles, Barn Street, Bordesley

emevans

knowlegable brummie
I am trying to research George Hands, Calthorpe Cycle and Motorcycle Company that was situated in Lion Works on Barn Street between 1905 and 1938. Looking along Barn Street on Google Earth I believe the original facade of the main Lion Works building and the adjacent office still exists on the right hand side of Barn street when walking with Digbeth behind you.

A photograph of the Calthorpe factory or Lion Works must exist in someones collection but I suppose it is asking too much if anyone has any experience of working for George Hands all those years ago?

Many thanks.

Emlyn Evans a Smethwick born lad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply Postie. I have found wikipedia to be an unreliable source of informtion on several occasions. The wikipedia write up appears inaccurate due to the fact that in 1912 Hands moved the car construction side of the business to a new factory in Cherrywood Road. The move was necessitated due to overcrowding of Lion Works in Barn Street. Although the Barn street premises extened to the banks of the River Rea at the rear of the factory, there was not enough room for cycle, motorcycle and car manufacture.

Em

I met George Hands in the early 1970's. He was a friend of my parents (I knew him as Uncle George, though I don't think he was) and was living in a bungalow in the village of Wixford. I have vague recollections of spending weekends staying at the local village pub (The Fish?) when I was very little.

When I met him, "Uncle" George, he presented me with a Calthorpe radiator which he dragged out of his garden shed. I still have it!!

Thank your for the reply `bosun'. An interesting letter about Uncle George. I am surrised that no one who worked at the factory has answered my call.

Best wishes and many thanks once again.
Em

Back