• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Call the midwife

I also noticed that the blanket was crochet and not knitting. These days knitting isn't as popular as it was in the 1950's and even in catalogues nowadays, I notice that lacy KNITTED cardigans and jumpers are referred to as crocheted. Perhaps a lot of people don't know the difference anymore.

The western half of North America (Canada and USA) must all be on a similar PBS schedule. We have "Call the Midwife" in Canada (BC and Alberta) as well. If it were not for PBS we wouldn't need a television.
SR

l know his is going a little off subject , l to noticed, knitting on" Call the Midwife", l have always knitted... did'nt all we all learn to do that at school knitting squares for the army blankets....l always knitted in the UK and am still doing it to-day,a scottish friend and l started up a knitting class at the local community center years ago, we found the Texan woman very eager to learn as most of them crotchet...when my mother would come visit she would go to the to the classes not for knitting but for crotchet , after mom had got the crotchet down tact she never picked up another knitting needle, preferring it to knitting...l did'nt catch on to it and am still knitting....l have tried to get my granddaughter interested but no go , just hoe its not a dying art.... Brenda

I think it is making a bit of a comeback, apparently quite a few of the pop singers are knitting backstage.
I can knit passably well but mom does it so much better - and quicker - than me. I don't do much. My girls don't knit, never showed any interest,although Kate is wanting to learn now she is teaching.
Sue

MUKIWA. a white boy in Africa. By Peter Godwin. memoirs of a young boy growing up in what was then Rhodesia, a really good read, a classic tale of the inevitable change, when Ian Smiths goverment

Call the Midwife, 2030 Sunday evening, Melbourne Australia. Wouldn't miss it for quids, and nor would many of my friends. Gritty but very realistic. Regards, David.

The order of nuns in Call the Midwife were in real life the Order of St John the Divine, an Anglican order. They moved from Poplar in East London to Alum Rock in Birmingham many years ago and are no longer a nursing order. As they are now down to five sisters they have put their convent up for sale and are moving to smaller premises in Marston Green. The order is one of the oldest Anglican orders and sisters from the order went to the Crimea with Florence Nightingale. That is why senior nurses in hospitals are called sister to this day.

Back