• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Byng Kenrick Girls' Grammar School

Hi Kim. Don't recall all those names, but I do remember the twins Jean and Susan Windmill, I think they were. Lived very close to the school. I have a feeling you were in a different class to me. I'm in touch with several of my old schoolchums, Gill Thomas, Carol Smith, Wendy Adams, Lesley Ashley to name but a few. Do any ring a bell with you? It's wonderful getting back in touch with friends from the past........I'm lovin' it!!!!!! Keep adding the memories, I'm in nostalgia heaven. LOL! xx

Hi, I was also a pupil of BK between 1964-1971 (Form 1.2 with Mrs Wilkinson , geography) and I have a copy of the original year register for the year 1964 so I can let you have pupil names if you want to contact me. I have fond memories of the old school but sadly no photos... does anyone have any ? It would be so much easier to connect faces to names. I have since realised what an excellent school this was, compared to the education our peers experienced. Margaret nee Regan

For any 'old' BK ladies out there, sadly Miss Derrick died more than 10 years ago. She was a lovely teacher.
If any of you are interested in meeting each other to catch up, the Christmas get together in the Jewellers Arms on December 15th may be an opportunity. Organised by Astoness. I think it starts at noon. Details are to be found elsewhere on the Forum.
batmadviv

Rosemarie 'Rosie' Wells (nee Apperley) at Byng Kenrick 1960 - 67
Originally of Horrell Road, Sheldon, died 3rd March 2013 in Scotland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also sadly Rita Thornton née Workman died in November 2012. She was a pupil at Byng Kenrick GGS from September 1960 to July 1965.

Hi my mom went to bk girls in the 60's and I went in the 80's. Mr thomas and miss Clark taught us both!

I remember drooling over the boys on the other side of the fence - we used to walk along the perimeter at lunchtime and feign nonchalance as we sauntered by pretending to talk but really watching the boys play footie. I only remember a few names though - we rarely had the opportunity of meeting with any of the boys - John Martin, Dave Porter and Mickey....? Summer of '71 - hotpants, skinny rib jumpers and T.Rex......
I was at Central 19671975-Denver Hewlett and Michael Bell are the guys you refer to.

I was at Byng Kendrick from 1968 until 1972 my name was Wendy McDonough I have so many memories of my time there spent with good friends I especially remember Jane Davis who was killed in the Birmingham pub bombings. Also Jennifer Wakelam Pat Farrugia Sonia Deakin. We were all girls from Sheldon. Happy memories of Miss Derrick Mrs McAlpine Miss Jones Mrs Sandler

I was at Byng Kendrick from 1968 until 1972 my name was Wendy McDonough I have so many memories of my time there spent with good friends I especially remember Jane Davis who was killed in the Birmingham pub bombings. Also Jennifer Wakelam Pat Farrugia Sonia Deakin. We were all girls from Sheldon. Happy memories of Miss Derrick Mrs McAlpine Miss Jones Mrs Sandler
Hi Wendy. I was in Janes class in the 6th form and remember all of the other girls too

Jane and I were very good friends and every time the pub bombings are in the news I think of all the life she has missed it's so very sad

Hello Margaret. Remember me - Christine Hutchins? We were in the same year and were at Shirestone Road together, too. In the full school photo published, as a first year, I am on the front row.

Hi All. I'm replying to Wendy's post but this is for anyone who was at Byng Kenrick or Central from 1968 - 1975. Wendy mentioned Jane Davis who was killed in the Birmingham pub bombings. This November 21st will be the 40th anniversary of her death and we would very much like to mark the occasion in some way and celebrate/ remember her life. If any one is interested please post in this forum. If you'd like to post something on your Facebook page too, looking for anyone who might be interested and then return any info to this forum, that would be brilliant. Let's get as many people as possible involved - she's worth it!

(I used to be Pat Farrugia in a previous life). Looking forward to being bombarded with posts !!

Back