• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Busby’s Bric-a-Brac

Faye8248

proper brummie kid
My Nan ran what I believe was called Busby’s Bric-a-Brac shop in the 1940’s/1950’s in Hockley, Birmingham. She told lots of stories of her time owning and running the shop and for a long time she had the till in her kitchen that we played with growing up.

I hoped someone may know of the shop and have a photo please?

My Nan ran what I believe was called Busby’s Bric-a-Brac shop in the 1940’s/1950’s in Hockley, Birmingham. She told lots of stories of her time owning and running the shop and for a long time she had the till in her kitchen that we played with growing up.

I hoped someone may know of the shop and have a photo please?
Would you know the name of the road/street?

well you came to the right place faye....i know how you must feel because i feel that any photographs to do with our family history are so important to have...actually i must have passed the shop many times on the no 8 bus getting off at the library to go to spring hill rollar rink....i will double check my files and if i find anymore will post them for you

lyn

well you came to the right place faye....i know how you must feel because i feel that any photographs to do with our family history are so important to have...actually i must have passed the shop many times on the no 8 bus getting off at the library to go to spring hill rollar rink....i will double check my files and if i find anymore will post them for you

lyn
I would really appreciate that, thank you

W.E.Busby , furniture broker is listed at 267 Icknield St from the 1966 edition of Kellys, which probably refers to 1965. Before it was Henry E Bateman, furniture brokers.
Corrected

W.E.Busby , furniture broker is listed at 267 Icknield St from the 1966 edition of Kellys, which probably refers to 1965. Before it was Henry E Bateman, furniture brokers.
Corrected
I remember Busby's it was a second hand shop,I remember buying a dansette record player and the lady who owned the shop allowed me to save for it by putting 10 shillings a week away untill I had enough to pay for it.I think the year was 1963/64.

I remember Busby's it was a second hand shop,I remember buying a dansette record player and the lady who owned the shop allowed me to save for it by putting 10 shillings a week away untill I had enough to pay for it.I think the year was 1963/64.
Thank you for sharing that story. I’ve got a 1950’s record player in my house now and I bought that from a second hand shop.

Corrected
W.E.BUSBY WAS 207 ICKNIELD STREET..they used to live at 35 hingeston street before they had the shop..

Back