• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burlington street

classroom in front is where we took pottery and the classroom to the right of that needlework

BURLINGTONSTSCHOOL010_zps748b8b25.jpg

fire escape to the newer block still there and this is the block where mrs orton took us for cookery lessons..

BURLINGTONSTSCHOOL009_zps335d19ad.jpg

Astoness are the photos you have posted of the building on the left hand side of Burlington Street as you approach from Newtown Row? If so, they show the school which was used for "backward" children in my day. The senior girls used to do housewifery over there too. I certainly don't recall the main schools Infant, Junior and Senior Girls looking like any of your photos, and I believe the main school was demolished sometime in the mid-80s

l left Burlington snr girls school dec of 1950....and the pictures are definately of the "special school" it was for handicapped children, l think even blind children attended there....l never went to housewifery there though we always had to trudge to Albert Road school for that to learn the basics of washing ironing and cooking...which i.m sure most of us already knew...having to do chores around the house from an early age.......Brenda

Raymond Brookes i lived in Barton Street used to scale wall to play football in play ground remember Mr BENBOW
he also used to care take for school opposite, further up road very nice man we where always hungary he used
to give us left over food after school hours names i remember Barry Canning Johnny Turner Brian Malkin Collin Beasley

Ray, l remember Mr Benbow, l can see him know with his cap on, don'nt think l ever saw him without it...some of the names l remember, Johnny Turner lived in Parliament Street, and his grandparents lived next door to me in Copley Street, he was just a little older then me ..not by much though... always a tomboy l paled around with David Carter, Mike Reed and Brian Stanford.. l know my brother Harvey Barr knew Barry Canning also Knobby Cross...l still ,keep in contact with David and he and his wife Ruth have made a couple of visits to Texas a few years ago.....now you've got my memory bank going so l shall be having a pleasant evening to reminisceing about the good old days in Aston......Brenda

3 more

Attachments

• GERRARD..BURL.BUCK 006.JPG
    GERRARD..BURL.BUCK 006.JPG
    593.4 KB · Views: 38
  • GERRARD..BURL.BUCK 007.JPG
    GERRARD..BURL.BUCK 007.JPG
    512.4 KB · Views: 38
  • GERRARD..BURL.BUCK 008.JPG
    GERRARD..BURL.BUCK 008.JPG
    545.3 KB · Views: 42
Oh! the memories..glad someone had the foresight to take pictures...spent all my schooling at Burlington st, and really enjoyed it....Brenda

Thanks for the photos Lynn, in pic.3 the building on the left in the Infants & Juniors and shows Talford Street totally demolished. The pic. of the smaller building is the Senior Girls School which was opposite Copeley Street (Brenda Barr lived next door but one).

Brenda, when looking at earlier posts on this thread you mention Johnny Turner being the grandson of the Turners who lived next door to us both. This is not so, John Turner and his sister Sheila lived in Barton Street, in one of the houses leading from Park Lane behind Jones' fish & chip shop, these houses had very long front gardens. The son of the Turners our neighbours lived in Parliament Street, I can't remember his name at the moment, he had 4/5 children but they were a bit younger than us.

Joe Turner number 11 Parliament street two sons and two daughters one of the daughters now lives in America Johnny have not heard of him for quite a few years
Raymond still lives in Birmingham through an illness he as both is legs amputated my brother Keith is still in touch with him.

thanks for the info john and sylvia..always good to have someone who knew that area so well..

cheers

lyn

Back