• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burial search - Francis Aldridge

Spugalugs

proper brummie kid
Hi, I'd be grateful if anyone can suggest how I can find out where Francis Alldridge born Tamworth in 1792 and died Jan 1875 in Brum was buried ? (preferably a free website for a change!!) Prior to his death he was living in Icknield Street. I have checked Ancestry with no joy and Family Search gives me the date but no location.

Hi Spugalugs, he was buried in All Saints Churchyard Hockley. It was closed in 1891, and "laid out"

If you go to Familysearch Homepage, choose catalog, then search on the dropdown menu for film number, you can put in the film number and you will get the location. I hope this makes sense!!

rosie.

Spugalugs here is the church. Unfortunately it is no longer there and also the graves have been removed. I went to All Saints School which was attached to this church.

all saints church.jpg

Thanks Rosie, every days a school day !! There is soooo much to learn. Can I ask what "laid out" means and do you know when they remove the graves, what actually happens to the headstones etc ?

Hello Spugalugs and carolina! I only found out last week how to do it! Glad it helps.
"Laid out as a a garden" means the graves are sometimes left, headstones laid down and buried, as at St. Pauls, or sometimes they are removed and re-buried as at St. Thomas Bath Row. (Removed to Warstone Lane Cemetery). Sometimes the gravestones are re-used as paths, which I think is awful!
There's a little book called "In The Midst of Life" by Joseph McKenna, which explains a lot, mine was from Birmingham Library.
rosie.

The actual church was consecrated in 1838 and closed in 1973. Certainly in the 1950's I can remember there were headstones and graves still there There is a little more info on Ted Rudge's site. I did visit about 6 years ago to the school, but it is now used as a correctional place for people within the area. The playground which would have been at the back of the church had broken open, so whether there were catacombs underneath which could have caused it, I am not sure, but it was very close to Hockley train lines, so that may have caused the upheaval of the ground. Oh how I remember harvest festival at the church, plus Christmas time. One of our neighbour's daughter got married there and the groom had to use our address in Ford Street to allow him to get hitched there.

Back