• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

burial look up please

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks..really stuck on this one so if anyone on fmp has the records of buriels for aston parish church and also st james the less church i am looking for any crutchley family buriels in perticular george crutchley who died in 1901...thanks for any help given as ive rung round a few churches with no luck so far..

lyn

Last edited:
Re: buriel look up please

Hi lyn,
For Georges, FMP gives the 2 for Key Hill which you know about, and one for Handsworth Cemetery, 1958. They don't do all the cemeteries.
On Hunnimex.com (Pink Pages) there's a Crutchley in the index for St. Peter & St. Paul, but it is only an index for the fiche.
Hope this helps a little.
rosie.

hi rosie... although it wont be george does it give the name of the crutchley 1958 handsworth please..im not very good yet with churches but is st peter and st paul the aston parish church or have i got myself confused as usual lol..

thanks rosie..

lyn

It's probably this one,Lyn
Deaths Sep 1958
George CRUTCHLEY aged 88 Birmingham 9c 115
Wife Martha died the year before and is buried at Handsworth Cemetery.
Had at least 2 daughters,Martha (1897) and Amy (1898).(Amy was blind)

thats great lynn thank you so both george and martha buried at handsworth then...although not the george crutchley who died in 1901 he could be linked..
just need to find out now the name of the crutchley at st peter and paul and the year died..
cheers

lyn

Last edited:

Hi lyn and well done ladylinda!
Yes I believe St. Peter & St. Paul is the Parish Church. FMP do have a lot of Crutchleys but I only did the Georges!
rosie.

P. S. Our posts just crossed!

lynn i spoke to clff about you looking for a george crutchley,he said his granfather was edward crutchley, who had a brother called george, but originaly didnt come from birmingham, i think his granfather started work at H P SAUCE in 1902 as a blacksmith, [ i will check the date it was 1902 or 1904 ]

Thanks Pam, I cant believe there were so many Crutchleys and most of them are named George or related to one.
Lynne.

There are loads of them over here in Tamworth too Lynne and Lyn, a friend of mine thought she may try to research her family, but with no info further back than her dad born in 1940, she has thrown in the towel! There is even a Crutchley Avenue here.
Regarding the Aston parish Church, got onto the website and they do have burial records but charge £19 a look up, thought that was a bitsteep, will send you website link if you want it.
Sue

Thanks Sue but no thanks, he's not one of mine but wouldn't pay that if he was.
Lynne.

I thought it was a bit steep too Lynne, can see that they would want to raise money for the church, but it would put me off lol.
Just a thought, have you looked at West Bromwich Cemetery, wouldn't that have been one of the areas Handsworth/Soho came under?
Sue

If the 1901 is not entirely certain, there's a George Crutchley of 27 Reginald Road buried in St Saviour's, Saltley, aged 70 buried 27 May 1902. There are quite a few CRUtCHLEYs buried at St Saviour's.

HI PAM
Many years ago when i was a kid and went to upper thomas street aston my mate was ronald crutchkley
and he lived at the top of upper thomas stret in a back house of hortons the builders and a mrs jackson shop
and just reading that a crutchley was working in HP Sauce ; it may be just possible that they are related after all your crutchley are from aston ;
ronnie lived next door to carol lane that could have been spelt laine ; but it was definately carol lane of surname whom lived next door to crutchleys
i did not know the parents nam,e at that time so it may be some think to work on for adress and dont for get in those days you could have got burried in aston parish church and that was my church as well attended regular and ui was in the aston parish church choir ; alongwith my two brothers
and with the jarratt brothers and johny lloyed from white house street aston ; the jarratts are friends of our family as we alll grew up in cromwell terrace ; lichfield rd and we done our choir pratice at dyson hall in park street under the choir mistress of miss rice and miss burrows and we got paid half a crown for the attending the choir pratice and five bob [ two half crowns for the service] every week i reckon there could be a family connection for the address of the crutchleys
have a nice day best wishes astonian;;

Back