• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Burial, Darby End, Dudley

Cassy

knowlegable brummie
Hi I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction to find the grave of my third great grandfather James Hazlewood. He died in 1865 at Dudley Wood. On the 1851 census he was living at Northfield Road - at the end that was known as Darbey Hand and later Darby End. In 1861 his address was Darby Hand - presumably still Northfield Road but the road wasn't shown on the census. I have spoken to the Archives at Dudley Library and they are unable to trace his burial. They advised me to search local churches and suggested it may be Netherton Methodist Church which is now part of the Black Country Museum. Please can anyone suggest who I contact to find out if he is buried there, or if there is another cemetery he could have been buried at. With many thanks, Cassy

Burials can be tricky. Is there any reason to think he was a Methodist?

I think it is just the re-constructed chapel at the Black Country Museum. Not sure if they would hold any records.

Last edited:
There's a burial record on freeReg for a James Hazlewood at St Andrew, Dudley on 1st Oct 1865. Persons abode is listed as Netherton.

Burials can be tricky. Is there any reason to think he was a Methodist?

I think it is just the re-constructed chapel at the Black Country Museum. Not sure if they would hold any records.
There's a burial record on freeReg for a James Hazlewood at St Andrew, Dudley on 1st Oct 1865. Persons abode is listed as Netherton.

Thanks so much MWS, that does sound like him. He died July quarter, so if it was the end of September a burial on 1 October fits and Netherton is one mile from the last address I have for him in Northfield Road. Also age of 62 is correct. I'll get in touch with the church to see if they can locate his grave.

I've not used freeReg before so thanks too for bringing that to my attention, it's going to be useful.

I'm so grateful for your help

Cassy

Back