• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bums Puzzle

Re: the building at the end of New Vauxhall Terrace, in the early 1960's it was occupied by Queen Street Warehouse Limited, a credit drapery company with a main office in the London area. Sold clothes, furniture etcetera door to do or all over the West Midlands, collecting the money weekly. I worked there for a year when I left school.

A view of the area from the south dated 1935
The yellow spot marks Cato Street.
The red spot marks Inkerman Street.
The green spot marks the houses on the west side of Vauxhall Terrace.
DuddestonMillRd1935.jpg
Image from EPW047855 on 'britainfromabove'

The thing is was it Vauxhall Terrace or Brighton Place that was known as The Bums Puzzle because I lived in the locality including nearby Inkerman Street on and off over a 12 year period and I never heard anywhere referred to as such a name. Though perhaps it might have been used by the Tally men from Queen Street Warehouse that "pjdews" mentions as most of my childhood clothes came from there and all I can say about them is what rubbish they were, but for a couple of bob a week what can you expect.

ahh thats the question phil...now that we have concluded the location of the photo is wrong it could have been either...:rolleyes:

lyn

My brother delivered the papers in Duddeston Mill Road in the early 1950's (for Spiers Newsagents in Duddeston Mill Road). I will ask him which one he knew as Bum's Puzzle.

Also there were at least four other Brighton Places listed in the electoral rolls, in Heath st, Winson green Road, Harborne and Balsall Heath

My Grandparents and 5 children lived at 23Bk42 Duddeston mill road at the time of the 1911 census they went on to have 10 children and went from there to Galton street

My Grandparents and 5 children lived at 23Bk42 Duddeston mill road at the time of the 1911 census they went on to have 10 children and went from there to Galton street

That's amazing. I'm new on here and my great grandfather and his wife also lived at that address ref. 1911 census. They must of shared the property I'd guess.

Back