• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bums Puzzle

a s wood

master brummie
Does anyone have a photo of this place off Duddeston Mill Rd.
POSTIE did put one on the forum in 2006 but its gone now.
I would love to see it
A S Wood

Brighton_place.jpg
Here you go my friend, enjoy.

Thanks to Maria Twist

Last edited:
totally unrelated - just notice the upstairs windows different to downstairs - not sash but opening outwards.........

Certainly remember it. It was between Cato street and the station, on the right up the hill. Sure I saw a photo in a book of old photos of areas of Brum. I have it somewhere.

Just reviewing the picture again, it reminds me of New Vauxhall Terrace rather than Brighton Place as I remember the building at the end as I worked there in 1963. As I remember, Brighton Place was further down the Duddeston Mill Road between Cato Street and Devon Street. A map I have showing the houses seems to confirm my observation.

Is it possible to post the section of the map please PJDews? Interested to see where it actually was. If not perhaps Mikejee could oblige ? Thanks.

Viv.

had to laff at what the locals called it...mike is it my eyes...i cant seem to see brighton place on the map or wasnt it marked..

lyn

This has been on the forum before and there was some doubt as to the photo being of the right terrace, it was though by some including myself to be in fact Vauxhall Terrace on the photo.

phil ...looking at mikes map brighton place has only 5 houses on the left vauxhall terrace shows 12...although on the photo i can only make out 10 houses i think that is because of the angle of the photo...also beyond the end wall in the photo there are no houses looks more like a factory which again shows in mikes map with the entrance in cato st...if it was brighton place we would see housing beyond the end wall because there is a court there..so i will agree that the photo is more likely to be of vauxhall terrace rather than brighton place..

lyn

Last edited:
The Shoothill collection has the following photo and I've put their title in the corner but the house and court numbers do not match the map in #8.
BrightonPlace.jpg

Agree it's not Brighton Place. What/who did the chimney belong to ? Other nearby courts might show the factory/shed. Think the factory/shed at the bottom of the court might have an asbestos roof, when was this first used ? Is the building something to do with the railway (close by) ? Viv

I notice in the pic in #2 the end last house casts a shadow on the factory type building which means the factory is immediately next to the house but this does not show on maps showing Vauxhall Terrace unless the factory was built after the date of the maps.

as i said earlier looking at the map there is a wall running along the bottom of vauxhall terrace behind that wall shows an open space with the entrance from cato st so i thought there was factory there...the original photo clearly shows a factory of some sorts...best guess i can come up with so far..

Having saved the pic and looked more closely, the shadow is only on the wall and not on the factory, so it is Vauxhall Terrace.

Viv, the map above shows New Vauxhall Terrace, back of 42 Duddeston Mill Road. I was born and lived at 2/32 Inkerman Street. It looks as though this has been noticed by a Member before.

Phil

Re: the building at the end of New Vauxhall Terrace, in the early 1960's it was occupied by Queen Street Warehouse Limited, a credit drapery company with a main office in the London area. Sold clothes, furniture etcetera door to do or all over the West Midlands, collecting the money weekly. I worked there for a year when I left school.

A view of the area from the south dated 1935
The yellow spot marks Cato Street.
The red spot marks Inkerman Street.
The green spot marks the houses on the west side of Vauxhall Terrace.
DuddestonMillRd1935.jpg
Image from EPW047855 on 'britainfromabove'

The thing is was it Vauxhall Terrace or Brighton Place that was known as The Bums Puzzle because I lived in the locality including nearby Inkerman Street on and off over a 12 year period and I never heard anywhere referred to as such a name. Though perhaps it might have been used by the Tally men from Queen Street Warehouse that "pjdews" mentions as most of my childhood clothes came from there and all I can say about them is what rubbish they were, but for a couple of bob a week what can you expect.

ahh thats the question phil...now that we have concluded the location of the photo is wrong it could have been either...:rolleyes:

lyn

My brother delivered the papers in Duddeston Mill Road in the early 1950's (for Spiers Newsagents in Duddeston Mill Road). I will ask him which one he knew as Bum's Puzzle.

Also there were at least four other Brighton Places listed in the electoral rolls, in Heath st, Winson green Road, Harborne and Balsall Heath

My Grandparents and 5 children lived at 23Bk42 Duddeston mill road at the time of the 1911 census they went on to have 10 children and went from there to Galton street

My Grandparents and 5 children lived at 23Bk42 Duddeston mill road at the time of the 1911 census they went on to have 10 children and went from there to Galton street

That's amazing. I'm new on here and my great grandfather and his wife also lived at that address ref. 1911 census. They must of shared the property I'd guess.

Back