• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bulpitt and Sons Birmingham

120 posts have been made, but has anyone noticed that Birmingham is incorrectly spelled in the thread title.
It reminds me that some Devonians pronounce the city name as Birminum. :eek:

Re: Bullpitts

Yes thats where I remember seeing it, I went with Mom there once don't know if it was for a job or what. :) O0
I had a job there, back in the 70s my dad worked there for 40 years, he was one of the last members of staff to go, his name was Syd webb any body remember him.

Does anybody recall Bulpitt's the electric kettle and pots and pans makers of Camden St Hockley and the warehouse used to be a dance hall before the war I think it was called paise palace they moved from Hockley and went to the black country ?

I remember them very well they were great kettles at the time , the only competition at the time in the late 60's were Russell Hobbs models K2R and K2S first automatic kettles they used to switch themselves off when boiled

Thankyou all so much for the photos. I'm sure my friend Keith will know a lot of those places. Does anyone recall Aliminium Holloware works? Not too sure where that was though. Gill Brooks Kidderminster.

Anyone know or have heard of Irene May Bishop. 27. Rann Street. Ladywood. Birmingham. Worked as a typist for Aluminium Holloware Works. Any descendants of Irene, please get in touch. Thankyou.
Moved to this thread

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_1054.JPG employees of 156 dept. Bulpitts & Sons top first four were from other dept. Vera, Sharon, (me - Jackie) Said, Lil (wages on Thursdays) Sheila shop steward. Bottom left Doreen, Janis, Mrs Stanley, Stella, Maura, and Ann Finnigan. I think it was Mrs Stanley's retirement.

Hi Lyn, I worked there from 1977-85. I am sure it was early 80's. No dates on the back, it was taken by Geoff Lewis, Wolverhampton and negative no.

Jackie

well its a great photo jackie...would have to check with her but i think my sister worked there as well..if she did i will let you know

lyn

I had two sisters working there as well. I think most people who worked there also had family members, glad they were in different depts. I enjoyed my time there.

dont think ive heard a bad word about working there jackie...mind you i think in those days workers of most companies were looked after i know i was

lyn

I had a job there, back in the 70s my dad worked there for 40 years, he was one of the last members of staff to go, his name was Syd webb any body remember him.
Hi Andy,
Certainly do remember Syd. I worked with him in the early 80s then we worked together at the very end. I moved the factory to France. Syd was a great friend.

Re: Bullpitts

Does anybody remember John Maguire who worked at Bulpitts up until 1985 when he passed away ,i am his son Lee and would be very intrested in contacting anybody who new my father.
I worked with John. Your dad gave me your lounge carpet when I got my first home in 1984 to help us out.
If I recall he did martial arts?
It was quite a shock and a sad time when he passed away.

Hi, would anybody know what was the name of the pension scheme used by Bulpitt & Sons. My dad use to work at the metal finishers on Dugdale Street. Any help would be much appreciated

This is a very long shot especially as his thread goes back some years but my mom worked there in the mid-late fifties. Her name was Elinor and she would have been either Kellner or Gallet she was there in 1956 and would have been 32 years of age at the time

Anyone know or have heard of Irene May Bishop. 27. Rann Street. Ladywood. Birmingham. Worked as a typist for Aluminium Holloware Works. Any descendants of Irene, please get in touch. Thankyou.
Moved to this thread
Hi, I was born at 1/No.27 Rann Street. Not a works, a Vic terrace house where Mrs Bishop lived ( I think alone).
She was a lovely kind lady. The devastating storm of 1953 damaged our house and we had to evacuate in the middle of the night. Mrs Bishop at No 27, took us in. Adjacent to us was a factory called 'The County Water Works'? They made soft fizzy drinks. Keith Sanders.

I think this might be Mrs Maurice Bulpitt, taken at the old Solihull Council House in Poplar Road.
bulpitts.jpg
She was an American lady and both she and her husband died in the USA.

Does anyone have memories of this wonderful factory? I worked in the Contracts Department until 1979, my dad worked in the Transport Department, his name was Dennis Need, does anyone remember his?

Last edited:
Welcome Gailbt. We have a thread about Bullpitts here which might be of interest. I’m moving your post to that thread. Viv.

Hello nzl1a1collector. Yes Bulpitts did make ammunition supplies. I worked in the office that dealt with the MOD and the Admiralty.
Hi, I worked as a typist in the Contracts Department up until 1979. Inside our office was Mr Maurice Bulpitts office. He used to visit when he came over from America and sit in his office eating chocolate. I loved working in that office. On Friday lunchtime, we used to go to the Florin pub, fantastic days

does anyone know if bulpitts became the swan company..somewhere in the back of my mind im sure my sister worked there..would have been in the early 80s so i must ask her

lyn
Bulpitts made a variety of things. There were 3 works, there was Albion Works, but I’m sorry I can’t remember the names of the other 2 works. We made Swan brand items, kettles, teas made, coffee percolators, Cygnet dishwashers, pots, pans, gas masks, swing fire warheads, nose cones, pots and pans for the military, we took over plastics from Judge International and many, many more items

I worked there until 1979 in the contracts department, where did you work?

I worked at Bullpits in the as a youngster in the 1970's, on the maintenance department and so had access to various sites in Hockley. Swan Brand was indeed their trade mark. I remember also one day finding myself in the area that made bullets, not sure if it was just the cases before the exploding bits were added elsewhere. It was fascinating to watch the pots and pans being spun from flat discs of aluminium.

Back