• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bulpitt and Sons Birmingham

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Does anybody recall Bulpitt's the electric kettle and pots and pans makers of Camden St Hockley and the warehouse used to be a dance hall before the war I think it was called paise palace they moved from Hockley and went to the black country ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: OLDLADYWOOD

I remember Bulpitts, my mother worked in Hockley and some of her workmates had relatives or friends working there, through them I had all my saucepans, frying pan, kettle, teapot, colander etc., when I got married in 1957, believe it or not the colander and teapot are still in use. I think the whole lot only cost something like £2.00

hi sylvia nice to know you remember the factory, my younger brother roy worked there for years , he was in the polishing section , and the brother inlaw was on security at the gate, our kid bought our mom all her pots and pans there for virtualy nothink i think they employed half the area, and the mint employed the other half , as you say they was of good qauilty, and they was known world wide , our kid has still got his , i think the down fall of bulpitts was the introduction of the common market . and they started to bring cheaper imports bulpitts started to cut there work force down very drasticaly, many , many times over the years ,and finaly reduce it to the mimium , and moved to the black country my brother took his redundancy money , and the brother in law moved with them , but he found it abit to much to travel there every day , so he threw the towel in , best wishes , astonian ,;;;;;;;;;;;

hi sylv, top of the morning to you being you had connections with bulpitts, i was wondering weather or not , you can recall wilmott and breedands whom was in the other half of camden street along from bulpitts , or did you know of anybody whom may have worked there, they made car parts i believe i would like to know if they was the biggest car part maker or lucas,s. in brum they also had a factory in cheston road aston off the rocky lane b,ham 6. or do you think some of our other members may know or worked there, have a nice day ,, best wishes astonian ,.;;;;;;;;

Hi Astonian, I know the name of Wilmott Breeden, but have never had any connection with it or the people who worked there.

Re: Bullpitts

I remember Bulpits, but for some reason Mom always had SWAN Brand where was their factory :-\

We had a big Swan brand kettle and probably other things in our kitchen made by Bulpitts when I was growing up.. Bulpitts held the leasehold on our house until my parents bought it from them in the l950's.

My Uncle Frank was a toolmaker for Wilmot Breeden's for many years. He worked in their Yardley plant. So many people collect Wilmot Breeden car keys going a long way back plus some of their other accessories.
I remember vaguely going for an interview for a job at Wilmot Breeden's must have been in Hockley. Can't remember much else except that it was the same company my Uncle worked for.

top of the mornin to ya alf . bulpitts factory was in camden st , hockley by war stone lane , there name came from two gentlemen , who was known has mr bull .. and a mr pitt. whom got together to form the bussiness , hence the house hold name bulpitts, there bussiness grew and grew , they virtualy taken over the area , they owned both sides of camden st up to albion st and around to pope st, where they sold there products to virtualy anybody whom wanted any of there products, if you went up the road to ingleby st there was a massive old dance hall that w3as there before the war after the war the bought it and turned it into there ware house, ,alf if you have got one of there kettles its gonna last you donkey s years . i think it was the late eighties they made redundies and one of them died they changed the name to swan brand for what ever reason , and they kept the excisting staff and moved to the black country,they did open a trade ware house in chester st by the old meb , then finally took it all to black country, and they provide a coach for the employee from hockley today and still carrying on , my relative did tell me the new name they are trading but the kettles are plastic now so hang on to your bulpitt kettl it will be worth a few bob ,

Praps we should form a Bulpitt club! My dad and my grandad worked there and probably other members of the family before them. I still have a big saucepan and steamer attachment made by dad, it has to be at least 50 years old now and I still use. Also my sister has an oval-shaped tray with matching milk jug and sugar bowl, all made by dad, we believe, but definitely from Bulpitt's.

:D

ChrisB

Wilmot Breeden had a massive factory in Tyseley. They used to make car bumpers, door handles, locks and ignition switches for the Austin factory.
They also did a lot of work for the Aircraft Industry. O0

Yes thats where I remember seeing it, I went with Mom there once don't know if it was for a job or what. :) O0

Bullpitt & Sons, 46, Northwood Street, Birmingham, later 153, Camden Street, taken over by BSR Group in the 1970's. Made lamps, copper presswork for kettles, lamps etc., later 'Swan' Brand kettles.

They also had a factory on the Walsall Road (near the Perry Barr flyover, where the Birchfield Harriers grounds used to be). That place closed down about 11 years ago.

ChrisB

Bulpitts were bought up by Molineux, I think they were a French firm.
I can't remember the date. I thought SWAN brand had been Bulpitts trade name for many years, although I do know the memory plays tricks.

Hi Sylvia

I'm certain Swan Brand was Bulpitt's trade name.

ChrisB

Back