• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bull Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
bull st corner of crooked lane 1865

lyn

Attachments

• Bull St - Crooked Lane 1886.jpg
    Bull St - Crooked Lane 1886.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by a moderator:
Hope Mike has a look at this one,he will probably check the tradespeople named here.
I clicked on your avatar again and went to your home page....old fool.

i was thinking the same thing ray...be nice to see if they were good and true....

lyn

they are good and true lyn. 1866 morris`s commercial directory

william hayward hosier, shirt maker, and pearl button manufacturer 109 bull street

john suffield wholesale draper, milliner, hosier and manchester warehousemen union passage, crooked lane and 107 and 108 bull street

also white & pike copper-plate, lithographic, letter press, and general printers, stationers. publishers of the universal railway guide, bookbinders etc. - commercial buildings, crooked lane

Well done Shera,now I'm wondering where Crooked Lane was.Somewhere near Greys there used to be a twisted little alley,and up there was a pub known as the "corner cupboard",could that have been Crooked Lane?.

thanks so much chris...its just nice to know that those shops were actually there at the time...

lyn x

The end of Crooked lane was cut off with the Corporation st development, including where the shop in the picture was, but a bit remained up until the redevelopment of the area after the war. Here is the lane c 1910

crooked_lane_c_1910.jpg

thanks john and mike....just to the right of crooked lane on your map mike it says tunnel and there are two dotted lines...has anyone any idea what this tunnel was...

lyn

thanks john and mike....just to the right of crooked lane on your map mike it says tunnel and there are two dotted lines...has anyone any idea what this tunnel was...

lyn

A guess, I would say the tracks from Snow Hill to Moor St.

Terry

Hi Ray, thank you for your reply - so interesting as my early Haywards were bellows makers close to Snowhill.
I wonder if someone would look this William Hayward up on earlier and later directories - I looked him up on 1861 and 1871 census but couldn't find one that seemed to fit. Any information would be helpful as I feel this one is possibly connected to my family.
Thanks so much,
Sheri

I don't know if this is the right Suffield, but JRR Tolkein's grandparents were called Suffield and had a draper's shop on the corner of Ann Street (Colmore Row) where the Council House is now. Both Suffields are buried at Key Hill. Shortie

hi shortie...i would imagine that the shop was somewhere on the left of this pic..this is where the council house is now...if you go to the ann st thread started by me under streets and neighbours there are quite a few other pics....thanks for that info..i didnt know that...

lyn

Attachments

• City Ann St c1868.JPG
    City Ann St c1868.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 25
Hi Lyn, this picture is fabulous! I have seen a pen and ink drawing, but taken from Colmore Row, not from the Town Hall. I am not sure exactly where the shop was, but the rest I know is correct. My dad used to say 'you learn a little every day' and usually it is other people teaching me, it's nice to be able to contribute to this forum constructively for a change! Shortie

shortie..the forum is not just about contributing. so you must not worry about it.....its also about learning and i dont think we ever stop learning about things...i will bring the ann st thread back to the main page so that you can see the other pics.....

lyn..

Sheri
I realise you will know the first few entries, but have put them in to show that, apparently, when the bellows business closed, then the hosier etc started. I am not quite clear how many William Haywards are referred to here.

Before 1839 there was no William Hayward, hosier etc, but was William Hayward:
1818 Hayward & sons, bellows makers, Snow hill

1823 William Haywood, Bellows maker 142 Lionel St
1829-1830 William Hayward Bellows maker, 8 court, Snow Hill & 142 Lionel St
1833 William Hayward Bellows maker 142 Lionel St.
1839-1841 William Hayward Hosier & pearl button maker, 109 Bull St
1845 William Hayward Button manuf. 106 Bull St
1855 Hosier 109 bull St
Haberdasher & fancy trimming depot , 106 Bull St
1858-1866 William Hayward, hosier & pearl button maker, 109 Bull St
1868 William Hayward, button maker, 5 Crooked Lane
William H. Hayward, (successor to William Hayward, Bull St). pearl
button manufacturer, shipping & emigration agent,American & Australian passenger offices, 18 Union passage(The entry in the street index just gives pearl button manufacturer, so other bits were probably only small,)
1872 William H.Hayward, pearl button manufacturer, 18 Union Passage
1873 William Harry Hayward , pearl button manufacture and emigration agent, 18
Union passage.

1876 William H.Hayward, pearl button manufacturer, 18 Union Passage
William Henry.Hayward, United States, Canadian & Australian passenger
& emigration agency; booking office for Cunard, Inman, Allan, White Star,
Guion, National & all principal lines, established 186 . 18 Union Passage

1879-1884 William H.Hayward, shipping agent, 18 Union Passage
1888-1900 William H.Hayward, shipping agent, 42 Union Passage
1903-1905 William H.Hayward & Son, shipping agent, 32 Union Passage
1908-1921 William Henry Hayward & Son, shipping agents, 36 Union passage. TA"
Hayward; " T N 642 Central
1932-1956 Willaim Henry Hayward & Son, passenger agts. 41 Union pass.T A "
Hayward;" T N Midland 6,242 (TN alters with year)
1962 Hayward W. H. & Son Ltd. passenger agts. 43A, Station st 5. T A
" Hayward " : Midland 5252
Hayward W. H. & Son Ltd. travel agts. 57 Temple row 2
1963-1965 Hayward W. H. & Son Ltd. travel agts. 57 Temple row 2.Midland 5252/3
1966 Hayward W. H. & Son Ltd. travel agts. 1/2 Bennetts hill 2 (Central 1765) &
65 Alcester road south 14. Highbury 2570
1967 Hayward W. H. & Son Ltd. travel agts. 1/2 Bennetts hill 2 (Central 1765)
1969-1973 Hayward W. H. & Son Ltd. travel'agts. 20 Waterloo st 2.T A " Hayward,
B'ham 2 " ; 021-643 8841
Kellys stop at 1973
Home addresses of William Hayward (in commercial section after commercial address, so we can be sure it is same William)

1849 2 Sussex Place, Bristol road
1858 Brighton Place, Moseley Rd.
1873 164 Coventry road, Smallheath

Hope that is useful
Mike

Yes Ly, I know, but others have such a wealth of knowledge, far beyond mine, so when I can contribute it makes me feel a little less selfish! Shortie

Hello Mikejee, Thank you so much for all that information - I think there is a connection with my Haywards as the elder William is the father of my gt.grandmother, Elizabeth who married Henry Blackham - you may not rememver but I have been looking for a Hayward -? accountant and my gt.aunt Emily Blackham for years - this family of Haywards would have been wealthy enough to have educated their children well so perhaps this where the connection is. So I have quite a lot of work to do now!!
Mike I can't thank you enough and all from a photo.
Do you know anywhere I could buy a copy of the photo.
Sheri

Another map, 1900 Baedeker

Attachments

• birmingham city centre.jpg
    birmingham city centre.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 16
The old picture post#1 has been on here before and I think it is one of the great links to the past here and gives us an insight to then. At the bottom of Croocked Lane was a building that housed Cadbury's first factory and have wondered where abouts it was. The old coloured map post #8 is super and shows a very old layout that is quite different from the later map. It looks like some of the cherry orchard still remained at that point and I wonder which building was Cadbury's. Also notable is the fact that Union Passage does not appear on this map but does on the later one...from New Street to Bull Street and split by the later Martineau Street...no more. I remember the last of Croocked Lane and getting off the tram there and walking down Union Passage to New Street. Never thought anything about it then but it was there. Actually the top part of the Lane was called Lower Cherry Street I think and looks like it might have become a section of Corporation Street when it was put through. What a major development and upset to the area Corporation Street must have been back then. The Cadbury's confectionary shop was in Bull Street up by Temple Row somewhere but the factory is only known to be at the bottom of Croocked Lane and Bull Street somewhere.
The old map may not be accurate to scale but if you look at Cannon Street which is shown as a major road; you can get an impression of how close and cramped the rest must have been. We all know that Cannon Street is pretty narrow still.

lower bull st 1886..on the left is the old lamb house c 1600 as you can see it was badly damaged wen the previous owner mr pole hung 16 oxon to front bressumer as a christmas show..the tall building further up bull st is newbury store on the corner of corporation st..

img670.jpg

bull st dated 1975

img671.jpg

Blimey Lyn, I thought you'd mis-typed " bressumer" but I Googled it and now I know what it means. Ain't yow clever!

I looked it up too, thought you had made up a new word Lyn lol!
What a good comparison but essentailly it hasn't changed so much, justthe loss of the lovely buildings.
Sue

Back