• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring Shops

Rosie they are still around they moved across to the bottom of dig ETH just about four doors from digbeth police station
By the traffic lights and on the very corner of meriden street which runs into new canal street they have been on that very corner for donkeys years
Best wishes Rosie,,,,Alan ,,Astonian,,,,,

Thanks Alan, I will have a look next time! (My 2x great grandfather lived at 82 Digbeth, details are on the other thread.)
Best wishes, rosie.

My dad lived in the Police hostel in Digbeth in the late 30's, I must say that all the preceding photo's were great.Paul

The 1930s image shows that the later Oswald Baileys premises was previously occupied by the Army & Navy Stores. Viv.

image.jpeg

The 1930s image shows that the later Oswald Baileys premises was previously occupied by the Army & Navy Stores. Viv.

View attachment 116307
Viv
I was always led to believe that there was a connection between Army and Navy Stores and Oswald Bailey's and the change of name was cosmetic because of the big department store in London just down from Victoria Station of the same name, now part of House of Fraser. This came from my Dad who like I am now was the fount of all knowledge and I always believed everything he told me. That is why I don't walk on the joins between paving slabs. My wife says I think I know everything.
Bob

There does seem to be a connection Bob. This 1940s Alamy stock photo shows the building displaying both Oswald Bailey and Army & Navy Store signs. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 23
bleak-bullring.jpg

The Bullring bus station when it was used for awhile to house the Rag Market.

Back