• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring 2003

It's a shame that new development has spoiled some of the views of St. Martin's. I preferred it when it was open space with those box water features. The service at that new Brown's restaurant there is also rubbish. It's well worth paying a bit extra at Janie's Italian.

I wonder what ever happened to these, once they started the Spiceal Street development 2 years ago?

That's what I'd like to know. It would be a shame if they wound up in a skip like the old bull sculpture did during the most recent re-development of the Bullring. But at least that had lasted from the sixties whereas those water features lasted less than 10 years!

Not sure I quite get these features although I do like the illuminated version. All adds to the atmosphere of a place at night (and maybe helps to keep the vandals at bay too!). So what are these? Viv.

Not sure I quite get these features although I do like the illuminated version. All adds to the atmosphere of a place at night (and maybe helps to keep the vandals at bay too!). So what are these? Viv.
Water used to cascade down them into pools but they were removed as they built more restaurants and called it spiceal St.

Hi Brumgum and Ell. Think water features must have added soothing dimension, so pity they've gone. The disappearance of the bulls on the exterior walls of the 1960s Bull Ring doesn't seem to have ever been fully explained. And there were at least two, maybe even three of them. Pity really because not only did I like the style but they were also a distinctive feature of the 60s Bull Ring. Viv.

Ditto to all of that but sadly we're well used to such acts of vandalism in this City, you might like to see this corner of the Birmingham it's history it's people exhibition in the museum as they did manage to save a flag from the old Bull Ring of that same design..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/birminghammag/8102685330/lightbox/

Some pics taken from the balcony at Costa (accessed via Forever 21).

St Martin's Church

Moat Lane

Opened 10 years ago (the new malls and Selfridges)

Spiceal Street seen from Costa at the Bullring (balcony).

Nelson standing above the new structures.

Loads for me!

Was there always a Upper Dean Street and Moat Lane?

Moat Lane as it is today

Bull Ring Tavern

Is this where Woolworths used to be in Viv's pic above? #627 picture 2

Jamaica Row must be where the Wholesale Market is now.

The 2003 Bullring sits on the site where Bell Street used to be!

Some new night shot pics of the current 10 year old Bullring!

Christmas in St Martin's Square - Spiceal Street. Quiet

An unusually quiet Edgbaston Street at 9 in the evening

Selfridges and Moor Street Station

Think I remember the buses going down Edgbaston Street until 2000 or 2001. Then they moved them to Upper Dean Street!

Is there any one else beside me who has not visited the 'new' Bull Ring or the new Library. I guess I don't like change, silly I suppose as you cannot halt 'progress'. Eric

Bullring opened in 2003. While the Library of Birmingham opened in 2013. Both need maintenance, escalators breaking down etc.

A couple of photos from the last year or so.

Back