• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Building Preservation

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Just when we thought the 1960s was all about 'if it's old, knock it down', these two projects pop up.

The first is a canal side project to renovate a Georgian terrace. The second, also a terrace renovation: Ashted Row Terrace.

Articles extracted from the Birmingham Post; the first April 1969, the second September 1959. Viv.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Of course Mort, I remember now. How good to see it's survived. And, it's nice to know it was an early (well 1969) preservation project. Thanks. Viv.

Thanks Alan too. So Phyllis Nicklin photographed it 2 years before it was agreed to try and preserve Kingston Row. She'd be very pleased to know it survived into the 2000s ! Viv.

Not sure, but I think this might be the Ashted Row terrace (referred to in the article above which was eventually renovated in the 1960s ?)This debate appeared in the Birmingham Gazette in June 1950. It puts the artists view vs the resident, who at this time was living in extremely poor conditions and would happily see the building demolished.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Can anyone pinpoint these on a modern day map please ? Thanks. Viv.

Of course Mort, I remember now. How good to see it's survived. And, it's nice to know it was an early (well 1969) preservation project. Thanks. Viv.

After working on the grid project and analysing her images we think that she had a direct link to the planning office and was notified of potential demolition applications.

It may explain why a lot of her images are of buildings and houses now gone. It may also explain why she would visit the same spot and take several images over a number of years.

I wondered about her re-visits over time. I just thought it might have been something to do with her University work, but 'inside knowledge' makes more sense. Viv.

chuffed that the kingston row houses were saved viv....i have visited them many times since restoration..

Back