• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BSA Factory 1940s Onwards

Re, B.S.A.

The far part of the building in the photo posted by Dollyferret was used as the training centre for first year apprentices in the B.S.A. group, and from some smaller engineering companies in brum. this is where I spent the first year of my working life 1970/71.
I joined Deritend Drop Forgings (Liverpool Street) in 1970/71 as an apprentice tool-maker/setter and we were seconded to that very same 1st year training centre. The only names I can recall of fellow apprentices are. Scott Dunbar and Frankie Franks. The latter used to come in on a 49cc red/white moped! As for the trainer/instructors, there was a Mr Norton (Grinding section... said with a perfectly straight face) and Mr Curry the training manager. Id seriously appreciate some name dropping to jog my fast fading memory of those days!

I joined Deritend Drop Forgings (Liverpool Street) in 1970/71 as an apprentice tool-maker/setter and we were seconded to that very same 1st year training centre. The only names I can recall of fellow apprentices are. Scott Dunbar and Frankie Franks. The latter used to come in on a 49cc red/white moped! As for the trainer/instructors, there was a Mr Norton (Grinding section... said with a perfectly straight face) and Mr Curry the training manager. Id seriously appreciate some name dropping to jog my fast fading memory of those days!
Mr Curry eh? he was the foreman in the Model Room when I worked there during my apprenticeship, next door to the Competition shop. My five year apprenticeship took me to many departments and I was rather glad the "training school opened after I finished. Ten years all told at the BSA and I loved every minute of it, don't remember ever having a day off, great place and the people there were the salt of the earth.
My spiritual home.

Mr Curry eh? he was the foreman in the Model Room when I worked there during my apprenticeship, next door to the Competition shop. My five year apprenticeship took me to many departments and I was rather glad the "training school opened after I finished. Ten years all told at the BSA and I loved every minute of it, don't remember ever having a day off, great place and the people there were the salt of the earth.
My spiritual home.
Hi David and thanks for replying!

Sadly, for us outsiders. (not being directly employed by the BSA) We were only into the first year of our apprenticeships and to the best of my knowledge, none of us were able to complete our time because many of the companies we joined didn't have agreements with the likes of Hall Green Technical Colledge which was necessary for the formal qualifications as you know. So we were unceremoniously packed off into the sunset... The only apprenticeship I could get after that, was with an off-set die printing company. Not nearly as varied and interesting but they promised a lot, if I kept my nose cleen. Sadly the postal strike came along and orders fell through the floor. You may recall that many firms deployed the FiFo rule of the day. So, rather than the foreign Legion. I worked as a Chef for the next 20 years.

I did have a few 'drinking mates' who worked for the BSA itself and they were a bloody good bunch for sure, I know I've sadly lamented my short time there, more than once. My spiritual home said it all right there!

Thanks again,

Antonio Ross

Some of the instructors I remember, Fred Baise, Barry Tallboys, Joe Smith, Harold Naughton and Frank Conlon. Some apprentices, Paul Askill. Gareth Williams, Ansel Pottinger, Colin Roberts, Brian Redden, Alex Blake and Errol Simms.

I was the Training Center Armoury Road 1969-70 circa. It cater for Apprentices from all around the Midlands,indeed, the world, as my best mate then hailed from Mexico City [English father.]
Just three weeks ago I gave a lift to two Yanks up here who'd begin at a BSA bike rally on the Isle Man
Hopefully Irish you are still active - I was there too - Gary McDonnell from Triumph - I remember Mex too - hated the snow ! What was your name and who did you work for ?
I remember the instructors - Fred Baise on Shaping Etc

Hi David and thanks for replying!

Sadly, for us outsiders. (not being directly employed by the BSA) We were only into the first year of our apprenticeships and to the best of my knowledge, none of us were able to complete our time because many of the companies we joined didn't have agreements with the likes of Hall Green Technical Colledge which was necessary for the formal qualifications as you know. So we were unceremoniously packed off into the sunset... The only apprenticeship I could get after that, was with an off-set die printing company. Not nearly as varied and interesting but they promised a lot, if I kept my nose cleen. Sadly the postal strike came along and orders fell through the floor. You may recall that many firms deployed the FiFo rule of the day. So, rather than the foreign Legion. I worked as a Chef for the next 20 years.

I did have a few 'drinking mates' who worked for the BSA itself and they were a bloody good bunch for sure, I know I've sadly lamented my short time there, more than once. My spiritual home said it all right there!

Thanks again,

Antonio Ross
Hi Antonio - Group Midland Training Center - I was there in 69 with Triumph - loved walking around BSA at dinner - Finished working for Triumph Hinckley and then Triumph Australia where I am now
regards

Joe Smith was indeed the West Indian guy with the missing fingers, tutored on the capstans.
Forgive me for coming very late to this thread. My late dad, David Davies, was the apprentice school training manager before Bert Curry. Over tea at home when I was in my teens, we would hear about Joe Smith's latest exploit to wind him up. We were in stitches--although dad was not! In truth, I believe my dad liked him alot for his personality, willingness and the example he set. I would love to have been able to share that with Joe Smith.

My husband Max Griffiths started his apprenticeship in 1955 in the toolroom. He was in the football team in the year 1958/59 whereby they won two cups and three shields. I wonder if anybody has copies of this which was in the blue mail or any advice where I could get hold of a copy.

My husband Max Griffiths started his apprenticeship in 1955 in the toolroom. He was in the football team in the year 1958/59 whereby they won two cups and three shields. I wonder if anybody has copies of this which was in the blue mail or any advice where I could get hold of a copy.
Welcome to The Forum lmg!

That photo posted #225 looks like the frontage when I went there in 1963. The main gates were then situated as shown opposite the middle section but, around 1965 they moved the gates down to the end just before the canal. There is is a photo somewhere purporting to be taken in 1959 which shows the gates by the canal which doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps they moved the gates several times. I worked on the A50 /A65 crankcases in D section which was situated under the ariel sign and I left in Oct 1969 when they ceased production and were winding down.

That photo posted #225 looks like the frontage when I went there in 1963. The main gates were then situated as shown opposite the middle section but, around 1965 they moved the gates down to the end just before the canal. There is is a photo somewhere purporting to be taken in 1959 which shows the gates by the canal which doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps they moved the gates several times. I worked on the A50 /A65 crankcases in D section which was situated under the ariel sign and I left in Oct 1969 when they ceased production and were winding down.
I went there in 1964 the main gate was in golden hillock rd by the side of A section. i worked on the beagle engines

I went there in 1964 the main gate was in golden hillock rd by the side of A section. i worked on the beagle engines
It would have 1964 ish when I would have seen the BSA site and understood what it was and produced , my next door neighbour used to tell me the contribution the factory made to the war effort. I cannot used some of the colourful terms he used re WW2 and the bombing of Birmingham as the moderator’s would not be very pleased with me.
Thank you for the information

It is so very sad that the British motorcycle and car industries are gone and went the same way apparently! Was there a “root cause analysis” conducted to REALLY understand and admit why and not let it happened to other industries?
Hello,
Happy Christmas to you and yours.
I agree with you about the sad demise of our manufacturing and engineering industries, but the root cause, and contributory factors would be a new thread and attract numerous opinions .

Hello,
Happy Christmas to you and yours.
I agree with you about the sad demise of our manufacturing and engineering industries, but the root cause, and contributory factors would be a new thread and attract numerous opinions .
Understand...........And it might not be appropriate to go there! I departed from the subject of the thread which I apologize for.
Something about leadership when you do things you need to understand what went right and wrong & WHY!
Merry Christmas!

It would have 1964 ish when I would have seen the BSA site and understood what it was and produced , my next door neighbour used to tell me the contribution the factory made to the war effort. I cannot used some of the colourful terms he used re WW2 and the bombing of Birmingham as the moderator’s would not be very pleased with me.
Thank you for the information
welcome

Understand...........And it might not be appropriate to go there! I departed from the subject of the thread which I apologize for.
Something about leadership when you do things you need to understand what went right and wrong & WHY!
Merry Christmas!
noughty dont do it again :grinning:
:grinning::grinning:

Edit. Unfortunately the images referred to below are no longer available.

Yesterday, whilst rummaging around in an airing cupboard, my mother discovered a bag containing a vast amount of photos of BSA and it's employees. Frustratingly, I am unable to get my scanner working this morning and will have to wait until my hubby gets home from work this evening. As I can't contain my excitement until then, I will however write the names and notes from the back of the photos to see if anybody can recognise themselves or their relatives!
Photo 1 ....... July 1953 at the BSA. Barbara, Glen, Joan, Phil, Jean, Betty & Me (me is Beryl Sheldon nee Gillett)
This photo is of 7 women sat on a grass verge, on a sunny day (as they are all in summer dresses) next to a fence and a sign 'BRYANT'.
Hi, My Nan is Jean Butler and was there in 1950s,60s,70s I'm hoping your photo is available to view somewhere to see of it her, my mom would love to see her in her youth , I do hope it's possible you still have it, ? Thanks in advance

Unfortunately the member concerned is no longer a member. This means she cannot reply unless she rejoins, though she can still view your post

Hi
I was an Apprentice at BSA From 1953 to1959 initially starting at Armory Rd and finishing at BSA Guns Shirley, ending up in the Drawing Office.
Here are a couple of pics taken at BSA Guns
Pic1[1958] shows me hard at work in the D.O.

Pic2 [1958] this was some sort of social evening and shows me at the table with partner Francis Clayton [who I think was the Toolroom Foreman]
The arrow is pointing to my girlfriend at the time and it must have been serious as we have now been married for 48 years.

Pete
My mom (Emily Millward) worked as a press operator, always mentioned Clayton when she spoke of work. No longer with us.

Back