• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bsa Factory 1900s - 1930s

1964 i left school and was found a job there number BA 414, i remember the canteen,it had not changed over the years we had a huge lunch for 6d subsidized. bet they thought we were undernourished. it was in Armoury Rd, a huge shed. at the top end it was also used as a concert hall/dance hall for the workers with benches and tables at lunch time it was a mass exodus to get first in the The Queue. i cant remember the shifts. i was on days only, a very nice place to work

Yes Pete, I can imagine it must well have been a massive task to feed all these workers if they were heading for the canteen. Viv.

thanks viv i wonder how many yards to a gallon they did:grinning:

The Lanchester Motor Company Limited was a car manufacturer company. It was located until early 1931 at Armourer Mills, Montgomery Street, Sparkbrook, Birmingham, and afterwards at Sandy Lane, Coventry England. It was founded in 1899 by three brother Frederick Lanchester, George Lanchester, Frank Lanchester. Lanchester was bought by the BSA Group at the end of 1930. After that its cars were manufactured by Daimler on Daimler’s Coventry sites. So, with Daimler, Lanchester became part of Jaguar Cars in 1960. The rights to the Lanchester brand now belong to Tata Motors of India, though Lanchester has been dormant since the last Lanchester rolled off the line in 1955. The Lanchester Motor Company Limited is still registered as an active company and accounts are filed each year, although as of 2014 it is marked as “non-trading
1667325055247.png

Last edited:
Attached a short history of BSA source the Small Heath Local History Society

Attachments

• Document_2022-11-02_095648.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Those house on the left are those referred to in the document I attached earlier , two lads I use to play football with lived there but moved out in the late 70’s

This is labelled “dinner time”. Would they have all returned after lunch or was this the end of their shift ? Viv.

View attachment 174343
great photo viv....as you have said if the workers are all heading for the canteen this would have been a massive job for canteen staff not to say anything about the size of the canteen..looking a bit more closely it looks to me as though all the workers have their backs to the camera and are walking into the factory to start work for the day..that is of course if that shows the entrance to the works also depending on where the canteen was they could as the caption suggests have been returning from dinner break...either way a nice photo

lyn

Last edited:
Back