• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brunswick school Alcester Road South

brumierelat

Brummie babby
Hi,

Does anyone know anything about an old private school called Brunswick. It was on Alcester Road South near the cricket club.

Possibly been knocked down now.

Many thanks

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about an old private school called Brunswick. It was on Alcester Road South near the cricket club.

Possibly been knocked down now.

Many thanks
Hi brummierlat, welcome to the forum. Could it be this? the building was originally Brunswick House apparently.

Brunswick at 231 Alcester Road South is listed for sale in 1945 Bham Daily Post as a Freehold Residence, 6 well proportioned bedrooms...

First mention of Kings Heath High School at 231 Alcester Road South is 1954. As mentioned in the link above Kings Heath High School was also at 148 Alcester Road South and mentions of this address predates those at 231 and in some of these private school is mentioned.

So (speculation) could it just be that Kings Heath High School was a private school that was at 148 and then expanded into 231, and maybe still called Brunswick to distinguish it from the part at 148?

No. 231 does appear to have been knocked down.

This makes sense as my mother who is 80, remembers it being at 231 Alcester Road. Many thanks for all the replies. Any pics of the house would be great?

This makes sense as my mother who is 80, remembers it being at 231 Alcester Road. Many thanks for all the replies. Any pics of the house would be great?
The link in post #2 takes you to another thread. On there post #12 has a pic of the148 Alcester Road premises. There is a suggestion that the property my have been renumbered but I am not sure about this.

Back