• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brummie Ghosts

Hi Tali - re. the article..... I must admit, I find this sort of alleged activity - what amounts to direct physical assault - highly dubious indeed!!:shocked: It sounds very much like the sort of thing that would be reported on Most Haunted, to be honest?

Astonian - be sure to keep us posted about your visit!! My daughter went to Warwick Castle a week or so ago - but any ghosts would have beat a hasty retreat as soon as they saw her coming, if they had any sense!!:D

Tezza - welcome back mate!! I hope it's not just a fleeting visit this time!! Your presence on this thread has become something of an institution, I must admit!! :D:D

I do understand that the media are pretty much working on 'results' to a great extent, but this shouldn't really give them the go-ahead to invent stuff when there isn't really anything there to report! It doesn't make a researchers job any easier when you're trying to figure out exactly where a particular aspect of a haunting came from..... when it has just been invented by some journo wanting to keep his editor sweet!:D

I know the 'running recordings in vain' scenario all too well - it's part and parcel of our investigations, it has to be said..... I couldn't tell you the amount of time when we've sat - post investigation - listening to the steady hiss of static, or staring at a 3 hour video of a wall.... :D:D

Best wishes to all,

Nick
www.westmidlandsghostclub.com
https://westmidlandsghostclub.blogspot.com/

NICHOLAS
Thanks for the welcome back Nicholas, I never thought I would be missed!!!
I agree with you : RE The media making tales up, just to sound interesting (excuse the pun), Most journo's are very skeptical people anyway and, I have to say, not the best people in the world to send to any sort of "ghostly happenings". But, its also true to say, that without them, we would not be aware of any happenings at all, in particular the older tales from earlier years. These relied on newspaper reports and that is how we know about them today.
I still find it a little odd, that now we have a huge sophisticated news gathering media sytem, Ghostley reports seem to get less and less, could there be a moral there somewhere?
Glad to be back, and read all your opinions with great interest, more later
TEZZA

Can't see a reference on here so does anyone have any info on a the old Hadden and Stokes factory in Digbeth? I knew two people who worked there and they both made reference to a ghost that, if memeory serves me right, was refered to as George. The building was around where George Heath motors is today near to the Old Crown. The stories related to overalls being pulled with no one around etc.

hi nick
you say you research the spirit worldly ghost
have you ever excactly seen one for your self
or have you concluded its science
best wishes astonian ;;

Hi Dwilly - I think you're referring to the building that has the plaque dedicated to the martyr, the John Roger on it(?) If memory serves me right, Rogers was the 1st Protestant dispatched in the mid-1500's by Queen Mary. (Executed at Smithfield). I've heard a number of stories about this place and think I've got a photograph somewhere taken during a visit a few years ago......????

Regards,

Nick

Dunno if you are familiar with this one Nicholas - (couldn't find any more on it)
Article: FRIGHT NIGHTS; Family living in fear of a poltergeist called Tom A Midland family say they share their home with... a knife-throwing poltergeist. CAROLINE WHEELER speaks to experts baffled by the case and asks if things really do go bump in the night.

Article from:Sunday Mercury (Birmingham, England) Article date:January 21, 2001
MUM-of-six Julie Shiel woke up in the middle of the night and trundled sleepily down the stairs.
She was walking into the kitchen to pour herself a drink when she noticed a knife dug deep into the wall.
Frightened, she screamed up to her husband who arrived downstairs, knowing already that the poltergeist had struck again.
Joey and Julie Shiel, both 30, from Acocks Green, Birmingham, say they are now us

Dunno if you are familiar with this one Nicholas - (couldn't find any more on it)
Article: FRIGHT NIGHTS; Family living in fear of a poltergeist called Tom A Midland family say they share their home with... a knife-throwing poltergeist. CAROLINE WHEELER speaks to experts baffled by the case and asks if things really do go bump in the night.

Article from:Sunday Mercury (Birmingham, England) Article date:January 21, 2001
MUM-of-six Julie Shiel woke up in the middle of the night and trundled sleepily down the stairs.
She was walking into the kitchen to pour herself a drink when she noticed a knife dug deep into the wall.
Frightened, she screamed up to her husband who arrived downstairs, knowing already that the poltergeist had struck again.
Joey and Julie Shiel, both 30, from Acocks Green, Birmingham, say they are now us

How about that for a coincidence Tali - but I only came across a mention of this matter a couple of days ago while re-indexing my diaries!!?? I received a phonecall from Joseph Shiel in late October 2000 (regarding their case) after he saw an article of ours in the Evening Mail. (I think it was a mention of our BBC documentary, or some such?) I was invited to go and investigate at the time, but the case did seem rather convoluted and - as the family concerned were seeking relief from the alleged activity - I didn't follow the matter up. (I'd much rather leave well alone than go and lie to people about having special powers, etc!!:D:D)

Re. your second post Tali - the stories seem to hail from a time when the site was still a factory, etc, the main account I can find hailing from the early 1970's. The figure seen was allegedly that of a man in long, grey clothing, with something like a prayer book held out in front of him. The man appeared to be reading, his lips moving, but no sound heard by witnesses.

The inference seems to be that the ghost was that of the Blessed John Rogers - saying his final devotions prior to execution, as one source suggests - as mentioned on the heritage plaques attached to the building in question. Most sources tell of poor Rogers' fiery death at the stake on the site of the factory during the 16th Century....... at least one explaining that the area was the old Bull Ring and site of executions, etc, etc.

Having said the above, it seems that one key factor in the story is overlooked..... the simple point being that John Rogers seems to have been burned at Smithfield in London and not Digbeth / Deritend in Brum!!:D:D I believe this oversight is a result of the potentially misleading heritage plaques that, if read without too much care, seem to indicate that this was indeed the execution site, etc(?)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Blue_plaque_John_Rogers.jpg

As mentioned numerous times previously, this sort of thing is why I find ghost stories and the like interesting from a cultural / social / psychological standpoint. The fact that people presumed Rogers was burned at the site seemingly leading to his appearance at the place........ :D:D:D Of course, it could be argued that the figure seen isn't John Rogers, of course, but it's a bit of a coincidence that such an apparition should appear in such a spot that holds this particular (even if presumed) heritage, eh?

Regards,

Nick

Nicholas, i stumbled upon the Shiel one as i was looking for the Stechford poltergiest which was coming into a little boy's room about 10 years ago -it was featured on Central News and a priest was summonsed to exorcise the room
Earlier there was reported in Evening Mail about poltergiest which knocked over furniture in a Northfield house
Do you recall these two?

Hi Tali,

I'm not at all sure about the Stechford Poltergeist you mention......?? The main one I recall from around a decade ago (in the press concerning the Brum area) was a young boy and his Mom (no dad in the picture, as far as I can recall) having to leave their home because of ghostly goings on, etc. Can't recall the details without checking, but I'm sure this was from the Shard End area.... so perhaps it's the same case you're referring to(?) I might be going cuckoo, but I'm sure there was some form of Vampire related reference put on the case by the media for some reason???? I will have to check the files over the weekend and see what I can find.......

Re. Northfield - I'm afraid this seems like the poltergeist capitol of the Midlands Tali!!:D:D:D I've a handful of cases on file about the area..... We did conduct background research on the region for the company responsible for the (god-awful) 'Haunted Homes' series, when they contacted us about their (then forthcoming) Northfield episode. (And no - after all of our effort / input - we didn't receive a mention in the show either!!:D:D:D).

Regards,

Nick

Hi Tali,

Just dug my index card out for the Shard End case (forgive note form, please, but it's only a brief ref. point for my folder index and so on!!:D):

6 yr old boy refused to live in house for 4 to 5 months because he claims to have seen woman and baby and / or man and woman in bedroom. Made such claims since moving in 3 years ago. Boy now lives with grandparents nearby. Mother (aged 30) called in 3mediums. Mediums say ghosts are elderly lady and baby, poltergeist and 'housebound vampire'. (WHHHAAATTTT????) Gen. Activity: Figures seen. Mother in kitchen and knobs flew off cooker. Grandfather in house and heard banging upstairs. In childs room, drawers found hanging out, clothes all over the place. Council refused to take plea for rehousing seriously. Official said council awaiting written evidence from mediums...... etc, etc.

Northfield has always puzzled me, I must admit, as there does seem to be a fair amount of stuff reported from that region (seemingly more than any other suburb of Brum) for some reason......???

You made me laugh when I read some of the quotes from the 'HouseBusters' link!!! I (sort of) quote:

"What was it about?
Ghostbusters meets Changing Rooms with a bit of Blue Peter thrown in.

What to say if you liked it

A fascinating look at why some houses feel cold and uninviting and make the people who live there very unhappy.

What to say if you didn’t like it.
A load of new age mumbo jumbo. What the owners need is a bit of taste rather than tat.

What was good about it?
For once, the couple who owned the house were not thick.

• The experts all homed in on the real problem – which was the couple’s relationship rather than the furniture.

• The experts all pinned the problems down to the couple – which left the programme’s original premise in trouble. All they could do was do a bit of decorating, rather than sorting out the real issues.

• After a solid start, it degenerated a bit into all that new age ........ with crystals and candles etc."

I've seen something along these lines years ago - possibly the same programme, in the past - and had to laugh at the concept of an allegedly haunted house being 'exorcised' by a lick of terracotta paint and a few scatter cushions!!:D:D (Having said that, I'll admit that I'm being highly flippant here, as a bit of non-'new age boll****' therapy is the key to most allegedly haunted situations, I think!:D) Some of the comments higlighted were very pertinent indeed to what people frequently construe as a 'haunted' situation, it has to be said......

Regards,

Nick

Does anyone remember a house that was supposed to be haunted near Edgbaston reservoir? I think it might been Coxwell rd or Reservoir rd.
Probably late 50's early 60's.
We used to pass it on our way to the "rezzer" and dare each other to touch the door.

Hi Bill123,

I'd guess you are referring to the fairly famous case involving the Pell family of Coxwell Rd from the mid-50's? Without checking up, I believe it was a reasonably standard poltergeist-like effect (?) though held one feature which has always made my hair curl when I read it.... Following the (presumed cot) death of a young baby in the house, one of the children of the family claimed to have seen the ghost of a small, white dog sitting on the babies face as it slept......

Never fails to give me the creeps, that one!!!

Regards,

Nick

The 'Manor House' in West Bromwich.....there have been many, many articles written about its resident ghosts. As I child I witnessed a strange event in the Great Hall area.....the Manor House was under reconstruction and various archaelogical digs were being carried out...the House was then a mere shell....my father and I were standing at what is now the 'bar end' of the hall, as we stood and looked about us, a large builders' plank took flight from the right hand side of the far wall and flew horizontally across the hall and hit the opposite wall with a thunderous clatter!

I looked up at my father for a brief second before taking flight myself! A couple of minutes later my father found me hiding in a medieval drain; only my head was above ground! I may not be very brave but I'm damned quick when I have to be!

My father chuckled to see my hiding place, but I wasn't fooled by his apparent calm, as his hair had literally stood-up on end. He looked like a somewhat abashed porcupine!

We saw that plank shift from one wall to the other, at a sustained height......no one other than my father and I were present. Unless fired from a canon, nothing could have thrown such a heavy plank in such a manner. I have no doubt myself, that it was due to some mischievous spirit.....even my old Dad, who was a pronounced 'rationalist' could offer ANY other explanation. Indeed, he didn't even attempt to do so; he KNEW that he had witnessed something unearthly!

Hi JohnO The Villa Tavern Nechells. Bill Pearson a member of the forums son owns it and they hope to have a Halloween haunting. Can't spell the other word where they sit round a tabe and hold hands. Send Bill a message and he will let you know where the pub is. Bye. Jean.

The 'Manor House' in West Bromwich.....there have been many, many articles written about its resident ghosts. As I child I witnessed a strange event in the Great Hall area.....the Manor House was under reconstruction and various archaelogical digs were being carried out...the House was then a mere shell....my father and I were standing at what is now the 'bar end' of the hall, as we stood and looked about us, a large builders' plank took flight from the right hand side of the far wall and flew horizontally across the hall and hit the opposite wall with a thunderous clatter!

I looked up at my father for a brief second before taking flight myself! A couple of minutes later my father found me hiding in a medieval drain; only my head was above ground! I may not be very brave but I'm damned quick when I have to be!

My father chuckled to see my hiding place, but I wasn't fooled by his apparent calm, as his hair had literally stood-up on end. He looked like a somewhat abashed porcupine!

We saw that plank shift from one wall to the other, at a sustained height......no one other than my father and I were present. Unless fired from a canon, nothing could have thrown such a heavy plank in such a manner. I have no doubt myself, that it was due to some mischievous spirit.....even my old Dad, who was a pronounced 'rationalist' could offer ANY other explanation. Indeed, he didn't even attempt to do so; he KNEW that he had witnessed something unearthly!

Thanks for that cracking story JohnO!!;)

For some stuff on the Manor House - re. ghostly encounters - please see the link below:

https://westmidlandsghostclub.blogspot.com/search/label/West Bromwich

Best wishes,

Nick

The red lion acocks green the clanging of chains and even more than that what will wake you up is the rolling of the barrells
around the floor in the middle of the night
it was some-think to a legond of the old ye red lion which was demolitioned and rebuilt and the story goes of an old nun
whom was murderd at the old place which was in mant years before hand possible late 1800 .s when the nunnery was closed down and the old ye red lion was built and even when that was knocked down and re built and renamed the trader it did not go
and when they moved the pub foreward to another postion
and brought the name back as the red lion
these carrying on still carried on and stil does today
i know because we ran that puband lived there
best wishes astonian ;;

I was speaking to another researcher last night who had investigated the Manor House pub - and we ended up spending a couple of hours or so recounting all of the stuff that had seemed to happen to our groups while we were there..... :D:D This - as possibly mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I believe - is an absolute rarity for both of our groups, but the Manor house is just one of those places. If I am going to put an argument forward on the existence of ghosts and endeavour to provide proof for my claims.... the Manor Hse would definitely be my focal point.

By the way - on haunted Brum pubs - I had forgotten our report on the White Hart at Tile Cross, which can be seen here:

https://westmidlandsghostclub.blogspot.com/2009/07/birmingham-investigation.html

Regards,

Nick

I had never heard about the white hart being haunted, and I didn't know that it was the coach house for sheldon hall, thanks for posting that link Nicholas I enjoyed reading that.

Just happen to be reading a very good book titled.......
Haunted Birmingham by Artur Smith & Rachel Bannister.
Publisher....TempusPublishing Ltd
Worth a read

Hi Macca and Dennis,

Dennis - we had a good, if albeit passing association with Arthur before his untimely death a short while ago..... As you probably know, he ran the Birmnigham Ghost walk and was always kind enough to pass anyone on to us who mentioned personal ghostly experiences during his tours. We did ask him if he'd like to join the group at one point, but - sadly - he had already become ill at that point. He seemed a genuinely lovely bloke....

Coincidentally, I was asked by Tempus to write their Haunted Coventry book, but asked if I could do a Birmingham related volume instead..... I was told that they'd already got Arthur writing that particular volume - and he did do an stirling job in the end!;)

Regards,

Nick

Hi Bill123,

I'd guess you are referring to the fairly famous case involving the Pell family of Coxwell Rd from the mid-50's? Without checking up, I believe it was a reasonably standard poltergeist-like effect (?) though held one feature which has always made my hair curl when I read it.... Following the (presumed cot) death of a young baby in the house, one of the children of the family claimed to have seen the ghost of a small, white dog sitting on the babies face as it slept......

Never fails to give me the creeps, that one!!!

Regards,

Nick

32 coxwell Rd - but today there is only 32 coxwell gardens - is this same location ?- anyone pinpoint it?

Found this
"The Ghost that Smothered a Child" True Story! ...Ashley...

One of the most frightening accounts in the annals of the paranormal is this report of a ghostly dog-- or an evil entity manifesting in the form of a dog-- that suffocated a child. In May 1955 the Pell family moved into their new home on Coxwell Road in Birmingham, England. During their first weekend in the house they wer awakened by the sound of a slamming door. Frank Pell was puzzled because he knew that he had carefully locked all the doors before retiring that evening , so he got out of bed to investigate. As he stood in the kitchen, he heard a scraping sound like the noise of a scrambling animal. After that the house was silent, and Pell returned to bed. As time passed, the Pells received nightly visits from an array of strange sounds. The greatest concentration of noises occurred around midnight, and no matter how the doors had been secured, they would bang to-and-fro as if they had a will of their own. Eerie whispers and incomprehensible phrases echoed in the air around the family. Both Frank Pell and his wife lay awake at night, listening and wondering, knowing that what was ahppening in their home could not have a natural explanation. Their dream house had begun transforming itself into a nightmare. Once while she was cleaning the bedroom, Mrs. Pell felt a cold draft and what she described as "icy, intangible fingers" running over her body. Even though the sense of evil had clearly presented itself to the Pells, both were sure that fear of it would only give it greater power over them. Then one hot June morning, the family awakened to find their baby had suffocated during the night. The child had been in the best of health and no mark of violence appeared on its body. Shortly after the child's burial, one of their sons startled them by asking if the baby had gone with the little white dog. The Pells knew that no dog had ever entered their house, so they asked their son when he had last seen the white dog. "On the night the baby left us," the boy replied. "The dog was sitting on the baby's face." Mrs. Pell became hysterical, and Frank could not calm her. The thought that a super-natural force had suffocated her baby to death horrified her. Although they summoned a priest to exorcise the negative spirits from the house, the bumping and banging continued with even greater regularity. By early July the feeling of evil in their home had become very strong, and Frank Pell feared for his wife. One day he rushed to the stairs where a frightening scene awaited him. His wife stood on the upstairs landing, transfixed with terror. Her limbs had stiffened and her hands clutched frantically at her side. The veins along her neck had swollen. Her eye bulged with terror, and her mouth gaped open in a silent scream. When Pell ran up the stairs to help her, he ran directly into an invisible force that would not let him pass. It seemed to shroud him like a net. At last he broke through the wall of evil with a powerful lunge. At that instant, his wife's screams filled the house. Without bothering to pack, the Pells took their children and left the house. Later, friends collected their belonging. They, too, heard the strange whispers and the weird thumpings, and once they finished packing, no inducement could bring them back into the house"

Hi Tali,

Coxwell Gardens was formerly Coxwell Road..... My old A to Z from the late 60's shows Coxwell Road as being substantially longer then that Coxwell Gardens are now, so there have certainly been alterations to the immediate area over the past few decades.

I hate to sound like one of these 'hysterical' researchers in voicing such a statement, but that general area is notoriously (and some might say 'overly') haunted. I say this from coming across many different hauntings and ghost sightings associated with the region over a considerable amount of time. I even received a report from an ex - travelling salesman about some of the roads around there many years ago!! He had almost run a phantom monk over one distant morning - back in the 70's, I think - and one of his customers in the area suffered poltergeist activity. (Though they didn't live in Coxwell Road, I hasten to add). The region has such a reputation, I was even phoned by an an Asian businessman who was looking into buying property around there about 10 years ago. He wanted to know what properties were allegedly haunted, because he was afraid of buying them!!!! Other, alleged 'ghostly' aspects of the area have been covered in different publications and periodicals.

Cheers for the story Tali !!! I have to admit that I don't for one second believe that any form of evil entity chose to appear as a phantom dog in order to smother a child as it slept........ Ths does sound like high-drama right out of a Victorian novel to me........

Regards,

Nick

Re. poltergeist cases in general, I don't know if anyone has read the following elsewhere, but there are some similarities with the Pell case and one that we were (in passing) involved with a few years ago:

The Darlaston Poltergeist(s)
Written: October 2002

Introduction

In early June, 2002, W.M.G.C. members learned of two poltergeist outbreaks which took place in Darlaston during the mid-1990's. Unfortunately, our involvement with these matters came much too late for us to have been involved in the first hand investigation of the sites concerned – such events having already taken place and premises long vacated. However, the heads of both households involved proved to be most obliging with regards to being interviewed and, as a result, detailed reports of all of the activities concerned were duly recorded.

" All the time you are sitting there and you are thinking: these things don't happen - well, at least they don't happen to me! These things happen on T.V.; these things happen in cinemas; these things happen in videos - they don't happen to me. This isn't real, it can't be real…. You know it's there, you know it's happening, but you don't want to believe it".
Mr. Thomas Whatmore

Part 1: "You cannot touch it or feel it, but you know it's there…"

At the time of the Whatmore poltergeist outbreak, the family were living in a council house situated near to the Herberts Park area of Darlaston. The family consisted of Mr. and Mrs. Whatmore and their three daughters.

In hindsight, Mr Whatmore now believes that some form(s) of minor paranormal activity may have actually been occurring for up to two years before the main (brief) effect. However, as these events were mainly limited to such matters as small object movement - putting something down and finding it in a completely different place when you came back for it, etc - he tended to regard such occurrences (at the time) as sheer absent mindedness.

The first incident that actually caused concern for Tom was when a light bulb inexplicably fell from an overhead socket and landed on him as he lay in bed one night. Upon going to put the bulb back the next day, he found that it had already been replaced. No one in the house admitted to having touched it.

This innocent enough incident would seem to have been the precursor for what Tom terms the 'Violent' or 'Frightening' period of potential activity and, over the next one and a half months, the family were to experience a wide range of disturbing activity.

Within a short period, knocking noises and disembodied voices - those of a man and a woman - were heard about the house. Often, these voices would appear to be arguing, though the conversation was invariably muffled and you could never quite make out what was being said. If you were downstairs, you could hear the conversation upstairs and vice versa. Sometimes, the voices could be heard calling out the names of people within the household; always a male voice calling a female name and a female calling a male. Tom suggests that the voices were unfriendly; something in their tone holding an air of general ‘nastiness’.

The T.V., radio or downstairs lights were often found to have been inexplicably switched on after the family had gone to bed at night and strange smells - some pleasant, some like rotting vegetables - regularly flooded the house. An unnatural darkness would envelop a room, even on the brightest days, and extreme temperature changes turned the air icy cold.

Family members and visitors to the house began reporting varying degree's of physical contact from something invisible.
A friend of the family was once pushed into a bath full of water while visiting the toilet. Despite the fact that they were drenched from head to foot, the bath was found to be completely dry upon investigation. Some while later, the same friend reported the sensation of someone stroking her hair. Tom reported that you could actually see the girls hair moving, as if a hand were physically touching it. Another family friend fled the house after feeling someone touch her on the shoulder and both Tom and his eldest daughter found themselves violently shoved against walls and pushed to the ground.

Somewhat typical of even the most vicious poltergeist effects, some of the phenomena experienced could be uncharacteristically playful or helpful. Following an argument over which family member should make a drink, Tom entered the kitchen to find a piping hot pot of tea already waiting for him! No one had been into the room for some time and he admits to having immediately emptied the pot straight into the sink! (The poltergeist also enjoyed making freshly brewed tea disappear from cups!).

On another occasion, the Whatmores eldest daughter asked for a school blouse to be ironed for her. Although no one in the household admits to having touched the blouse, it was found waiting for her, freshly ironed, as she left for school the next morning.

One amusing incident occurred as Tom was idly flicking through the T.V. channels one day when he came across a programme featuring Elvis Presley. Mr. Whatmore absolutely hates Elvis, but his wife is an avid fan! As Mrs. Whatmore was upstairs at the time - out of earshot - he quickly changed channels again, intending to say nothing about the matter. Only seconds later, Mrs. Whatmore came back downstairs and, as she stepped into the living room, the television suddenly changed stations of it's own accord…… back to the channel with Elvis on it!!

As well as poltergeist effects, some 'apparitions' were also seen around the house. Tom saw an old woman in their kitchen one night and his wife once saw the figure of a man in the same area. When she came to describe the latter mentioned to her husband, Tom believes that the man's appearance fitted that of his father who had died when his son was only 19. Mrs. Whatmore had never met - or so much as seen a photograph of - Mr. Whatmore Snr.

One particular apparition that Tom was understandably most reticent to mention was that of a half man-half horse creature that he saw snarling at him from the corner of the living room one night. He points out that, at this point in time, he was already at his wits end from the effect of the haunting and, as a result, almost constantly in a confused state of mind…….

One of the younger Whatmore daughters - a mere toddler at the time - was often heard holding long conversations with someone. Her parents constantly asked who it was she was talking with and the girl would simply reply: 'friend'….

It is only recently that the Whatmores daughter has actually described her visitor. She claims that a young boy – his face apparently covered in blood - used to sit at the foot of her bed and speak with her.

Two visits from the (then) Vicar of Darlaston brought no relief to the Whatmore family and an attempted blessing ended prematurely when a sound like 'furniture being thrown around' was heard from upstairs during the early stages of the rite. The Vicar is said to have abruptly left the premises. (Previously, a bottle of Holy Water, which had been brought to the house by a family friend, inexplicably shattered of it's own accord).

As matters worsened, the family took to sleeping downstairs in the living room. (Tom admits that he didn't even dare to visit the toilet by himself for some while). One night, Tom detected the now familiar sound of a muffled altercation taking place, seemingly on the landing at the top of the stairs. As he listened, he suddenly heard a sound - like that made by an object travelling very fast - and something struck him hard, just above the right eye.

Initially thinking that his wife or eldest daughter had thrown something at him, his first reaction was to cross his arms in front of his face. As he peered out from behind his arms, he saw what he can only describe as a 'black cloud', that seemed to stretch from floor level to only a few inches below ceiling height. Tom says that this is a sight that will remain with him forever and, at that point, he actually believed the form would kill him….

This turned out to be the final straw for Tom and he and his family fled the house that night. For the subsequent 3-4 weeks, they stayed at the home of friends. The family still visited their house on a daily basis, but only to check the property over and occasionally retrieve clothing and other essentials.

Still, even during these brief calls - always made in company, never alone - some form of activity usually occurred. On one such occasion, the visitors were approaching the house when they saw the bedroom curtains 'billowing' into the room of their own accord. Tom and his eldest daughter were violently pushed against a wall while retrieving food from their deep freeze and a neighbour saw an 'unnatural darkness' at the top of the stairs. Tom went to the house one day with a group of friends and was pushed to the living room floor while one of his companions fought with the front door which seemed wholly intent on closing itself……..

While staying with their neighbours, a friend of the family suggested that they contact a 'Born Again Christian' group from the Walsall area for help. Remarkably, this advice turned out to be something of a positive step for the family as certain advice proffered by the group did prove to be of benefit. Tom says that he now became able to take control of some of his fears - a step which made him feel more relaxed and positive about their situation.

Whether as a result of Christian guidance - or the simple fact that the activity may now have run it's course - the effect itself appears to have soon begun losing momentum. (Generally, poltergeist effects are commonly said to be fairly short lived affairs). The Whatmore family eventually moved back into their home and remained in the property for a further 6 - 12 months. Tom admits that things were much better after they returned, but, quite understandably, he always had the feeling that something was still there - waiting. As with such cases, the local Council would not recognise the Whatmores problem and, because of this, refused to re-house them. As a result, the family were eventually forced to seek private accommodation…..

Part 2: "Now you tell me there was no sort of malicious intelligence behind that…!"

Ray Selman and his wife had lived on the 10th floor of Great Croft House, Darlaston, for 6-7 years when they first started noticing 'odd happenings' around their flat.

Remarkably, at the time that Mr. Selmans activity began, he had only just recently struck up a friendship with Tom Whatmore. Ray had only previously visited the home of his new friend on a couple of occasions and a third visit happened to correspond with the most virulent period of the Whatmore activity. Upon being informed of the latter mentioned, Ray actually joked with his friend, saying that he 'hoped no ghosts would be following him home that night'….

Ironically – and almost immediately – Ray’s own 'odd happenings' suddenly began.

Objects were found to have been inexplicably moved around the flat - or blatantly hidden - while the Selmans experienced a constant feeling of being watched. Doors closed of their own accord, inexplicable noises were heard, and a pile of loose change left lying on a sideboard was found to have been neatly stacked, in a vertical column.
Ray was cooking one day, when his wife suddenly burst into the room and angrily accused him of almost scaring her to death.

Unfortunately, her husband had no idea of what she was talking about. Mrs. Selman explained that she had been watching television, when, from her peripheral vision, she suddenly became aware of a head poking through the kitchen / living room partition. As she turned to look at it fully, the head quickly withdrew into the kitchen. Ray maintains that he had been busy cooking at the time and had, at no point, looked through the partition.

On one occasion, Ray had a pen bounce off the top of his head as he lay on the floor watching T.V. one night. The pen in question had been resting on top of the television set only seconds earlier and had to travel some feet 'across' the room in order to land where it did.
While some physical interaction was light, almost playful at times, Ray also found himself suffering inexplicable scratches on his arm and, one morning as he lay in bed, something slapped him hard across the face.

Unfortunately, life in the flat was becoming increasingly disagreeable and Ray eventually turned to the Church for help. (He was actually advised to contact the vicar of Darlaston by Tom Whatmore). Unlike the Whatmore outbreak, the blessing actually seemed to have a positive effect on the troublesome activity and it abruptly stopped.

Sadly, this respite was not to last however and, only a month later, Ray claims to have witnessed an exceptionally tall, dark, transparent form float across his hallway from the living room to the kitchen area. This proved more than enough for Ray and he sought alternative accommodation immediately.

Having soon cleared his former home of all furniture and belongings, Ray took one last look around the flat with a friend. As they made to leave, the friend pointed out that a front door alarm had somehow been overlooked during the removal. Endeavours were made to unscrew the device, but, with all of the tools having been taken from the flat, their ministrations were in vain. Angered and frustrated, Ray admits that he finally ended up taking one of his shoes off and smashing the alarm to pieces. Upon finishing, he then decided to take one last glance around the flat. There - sitting dead centre in the middle of the bedroom floor - he found a solitary screwdriver…..

Part 3: Brief Speculation And Potential Foundation Stones?

The key point of interest surrounding these happenings, from a research point of view, is the fact that there are not just similarities between the hauntings themselves, but certain elements within the cases which would appear to undeniably link the two outbreaks together.
The concept of 'paranormal activity as a form of contagious effect' is quite rare, but certainly not unknown. (Members of the W.M.G.C. may have experienced a mild form of this kind of influence during our 1997 investigation of Northycote Farm in Bushbury, Wolverhampton). Believers in this type of occurrence maintain that the 'contracted' phenomenon somehow becomes 'attached to' - or possibly 'rubs off on' - visitors to the haunted site in question. Both Mr. Whatmore and Mr. Selman are convinced that this sort of effect was the cause of the Great Croft House outbreak. This 'residual' activity is generally restricted to poltergeist manifestations, though instances where other ghostly phenomenon has been 'transferred' have also been recorded.

Invariably, the 'residual effect' is considerably weaker than the original activity, as with the Whatmore / Selman outbreaks.

Both households are reported to have been experiencing considerable levels of 'stress' prior to their respective hauntings, a state which is constantly associated with poltergeist outbreaks. Sadly, Ray’s marriage broke up while he was still living at Great Croft House and he clearly blames a considerable, subsequent spate of ‘bad luck’ – ill health, loss of job, etc – on his experiences in the flat. Tom Whatmore also separated from his wife following their move from Herberts Park Road.

As with any form of serious paranormal investigation, no self respecting researcher should be happy in endeavouring to consider aspects of a case without first looking into the general topography, history and any possible ‘ghost-lore’ already associated with the area concerned.

The entire region surrounding the Whatmore house had, for well over a century, been an area of heavy mining activity. Such a considerable disruption to / drain on the very structure of the locality would, by some, be regarded as a potential link to certain forms of paranormal activity. One specific mine in ‘The Lunt’ area – some 200 yards distant from the address in question – is alleged to have been the site of ghostly happenings in the early 19th Century. Legend has it that the activity concerned only ceased due to the intervention of a well known Bilston ‘wise man’.

With regards to other local ghost stories, the canal which runs within 20 yards of the former Whatmore home has no less that three separate female ghosts associated with it; the first at Wards Bridge (300 feet from the house concerned); the second at the rear of the old Moxley Isolation Hospital (approx. 0.75 miles distant) and the third at a site known as The Broken Bridge in nearby Bradley. (Around 1.5 - 2 miles away).

Finally, while considering the history of this specific corner of Darlaston – especially in light of the aforementioned data – one particularly ‘dark’ aspect of it’s none too distant past cannot help but be mentioned.

A number of years ago, a young Darlaston schoolboy was discovered, lying unconscious in some bushes, on a patch of waste ground known locally as 'Wardies'. (So nicknamed after the ‘Wards Pot Factory’ situated at the edge of the land concerned).

Horrifically, the boy was found to have been savagely beaten about the head with a heavy, blunt object. The person who discovered him reported that he couldn't actually see the boy’s face because he had been bleeding so badly from his head. Still alive when he was discovered, the boy was rushed to hospital, but died only hours later from a brain haemorrhage caused by depressed fractures to the skull.

The patch of land known as 'Wardies' (above) lies only 200 yards distant from the property which had been occupied by the Whatmores. Furthermore, the house in which the unfortunate boy had been residing at the time of his demise was none other than the property situated directly ‘next door’ to that which was to be occupied by Tom and his family many years later. The boy’s murderer is said to have lived in a house in the same street, some 50 yards distant.

While perhaps only being a matter of sheer coincidence in relation to the Whatmore case, the close proximity of figures and events surrounding the murder would, needless to say, be considered by a great many as a direct, contributing factor in the subsequent disturbance.

Whatever the readers personal viewpoint on this matter might be, it is of interest to now recall the details given by Tom Whatmores youngest daughter when describing the figure of the ‘young boy’ which she allegedly experienced a number of times at the property….. At the time of my interview with Tom, I specifically asked him about this matter and he earnestly insisted that neither he nor his family had ever heard of the affair previously.

Regards,

Nick

Nicholas - just recalled another one.
About 15yrs ago Evening Mail story about trucker who hit a "creature" that ran off on the M6 motorway or a junction area /near to it in North Bham
The Police confirmed that a distressed driver reported the incident and the Police were convinced enough to visit the scene but nothing was found

Hi Tali - thanks for that..... I shall certainly try to chase the matter up!! I might not employ the Evening Mail Archive service, as a source, as the last time I spoke with them, they asked for £50 for the first hour of searching and x amount for every hour after that!?!?:D:D I yearn for the good old days when the likes of the Express and Star used to have a library that you could just go in and search - for free - for yourself, if you made an appointment!! Unfortunately, the library service had been disbanded some years ago now.....

Anyway - your mention of the M6 reminds me of some of the alleged 'werewolf sightings' addociated with Cannock Chase - you've no doubt all read / heard about them again over the past few days! - as such sightings were first reported on a particular junction of the M6, it seems!? This was not a stereotypical werewolf-style motif, of course - no Lon Chaney Jnr, loping around with a fuzzy face - but an overly large, wolf-like creature, apparently!!

Recent notes on the subject:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/articles/2009/09/29/werewolves_in_staffs_feature.shtml

Regards,

Nick

Hi all, I'v just joined the forum, and seeing this thread thought you might like to hear a few of my experiences.

I tried to put my bit on this thread, but after typing for a good half an hour, the d**n thing must have timed out so couldn't submit. I will have to split it up a bit.

Hospital ghosts - part 1

I worked at the Birmingham Accident hospital in Bath row from 87' till the bu**ers closed us in 92'
I worked in the admin block, which was the main part of the old Queens hospital, for a while as chief clerk.

The offices that I worked in, had above them the old wards of the Queens (now converted to the Physio and OT depts). The coloured domestics refused to clean these depts after dark as they said they saw people walking around.

While I was there, a BBC film crew came to film for a 'cops and robbers' series (city blue I think it was called) They wanted to film at the back of the hospital which had the canal running past, it also had a pretty good view of the Birmingham skyline.
Next to where they were was an old building called Detached (for obvious reasons) it was also part of the Queens hospital. This building was now used as a storage area for the hospital supplies.
The producer thanked Pete, but said that he thought Pete had assured him that they would not be overly disturbed while filming, but a few times they had to stop because an elderly woman was getting in the shots, looking down on them from the second floor of detached. Pete said that was impossible, as the second floor was blocked off by the stairs as the floor was rotting and therefore unsafe (only the ground floor was used for storage).

Detached was originally the doctors residences, and it was the hospital matrons job to look after their needs.

Archie

Hospital ghosts - part 2

As I have said my office was situated in the building of the old Queens hospital (joined and to the right of the accident hospital entrance) - catering in the basement, admin ground floor, Physio and OT plus heamatology and the skin lab 1st floor and on the 2nd floor, the labs and offices of the MRC (medical research council). it was a tall georgian style building. This was joined to the hospital proper by 2 adjacent corridors (which were separated by an enclosed piece of waste ground) these corridors had large windows that faced each other across this waste ground along the length of them.

The threat of closure of the hospital had commonly been a threat, but it surely looked ominous this time - to say feelings were running a bit high during this period would be an understatement.

One day I felt the need to go to the loo, which was at the end of the corridor, next to flap doors that led through to the hospital.
As I walked into the loo, past two toilets, I was surprised to see in the second that the door was wide open, with a seated man, head in his hands and trousers round his knees.
Modesty made me hurry past to the urinals, but as I was finishing what I was doing, I had a thought that I should ask him if he was okay (my office had to deal with sometimes very distraught relatives, or he may even have been patient from one of the wards)
I walked the couple of steps back to the toilet, but there was no one there. He couldn't have left the toilets as I would have certainly have heard the loud squeek that came from the outer door. And anyway he must have moved pretty sharpish as he had his trousers down only just before!

Archie

Back