• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brookvale/Witton Lakes Hidden History Video

SquattersWrongs

Brummie babby
Hi all,

I've had a very long furlough period which has resulted in me getting a dog (finally!) and since I've been walking him around the area, I've found myself very intrigued with all of them random bits of masonry that are left along the waterway running between to two reservoirs. This led me to pulling a little history slideshow together to present them all and try and give it all a sense of a timeline, whilst also showing what we have been left with.

All in all, its quite a haunting message of acknowledging that with have been left with sad shells of what once were glorious parks - parks that were built for the peoples' physical wellbeing as well as their spiritual wellbeing.

I ask you to suspend your imagination and wonder if the remnants that we do have left (as lucky as we are to have them!) might just be the discarded remains of a 'civilisation' that knew how to look after its people - and I'm only talking over the last 150 years or so. Perhaps they went through a similar reset to what we are witnessing now? Myself, I can't imagine a time in history where the local people of Brookvale just accepted the destruction of such a beautiful space without a fight. This leads me to believe that there simply wasn't a choice.

I hope you enjoy!

1609552811968.png

Nice to see a young person taking an interest in the history of the surrounding area. It took me about 60 years. My mother and old man were born in Witton in 1918 and 1908.

The Forum will hold quite a few answers to the questions posed in the video, however it could take quite a bit of sifting through. I reckon that if you made a future video with the answers it would be of epic proportions.

Can just imagine Pippin fast out of the traps at Perry Barr.

Back