• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brookes pre 1941

F

Forward

Looking for help on polling register please.

Pre 1941 Annie and Florence May Brookes lived at 4 back of 292 Wheeler Street, Lozells. By 1941 they were in 1 Weston Place Guildford St.

I’m looking for a polling register (Unknown year) which shows Husband’s name?

Once I have that I will try to see if a Annie King 1885 married a ??? Brookes.

Ray

theres this one in 1930 at 4 back 294 wheeler street
william john brookes, annie brookes and florence may brookes

in 1920 william john and annie were at 4 back 296 wheeler street. seems a slightly different number every time!

Shera
Thank you that’s a great help.

I reckon it’s the right family so will go along with slight difference in numbers (Each side of entry will have two ‘back’ numbers that could be used anyways).

Ray

On the map c 1913, no 296 is in red, 294 in blue. It looks like the houses were subdivided after 1913

wheeler_st_296_and_294.jpg

Hello i know this is a old post but here goes i have a florence brookes in my family tree aslo guilford st florence parents where alfred and emily nee smith brookes .

Hi, thanks for posting.

My mother Elsie Brophy got married from Brookes house 4 back of 294 Wheeler St, During war years Annie and Florence moved next to my King grandparents in Weston Place (where my father lived pre marriage at least). Thus I feel there might be a family tie in somewhere in the past, but?

My sister maintains one of the women was named Emily, but that doesn't tie in with Annie and Florence?

Do you now circa what year Alfred died?

Any other thoughts.

Regards

Ray

yes i also have emily brookes nee williams married a alfred brrokes they had a son also called afred born 1897 died 1947 served in ww11 florence brookes would have been alfed the younger aunt. your name Ray rings a bell as the bookes married into the eccles family i recall my late mother joyce eccles saying she had cousins named ray , colin . im sure we are linked but as yet cant work out where. ps i also have a emily brrokes born 1896 aprrox

Sometime back I checked polling registers and found:
1920 Poling register -- William John Brookes, Annie Brookes -- 4 back 296 Wheeler Street
1930 Polling register -- William John Brookes, Annie Brookes, ---Florence May Brookes 4 back of 294 Wheeler Street
1940 Polling register -- Annie Brookes , Florence Brooks -- 1 Weston Place (back of Guildford St)

From previous reply I take it Annie was wife of William. Going on a rough guide to be married by 1920 William and Annie would have been born pre 1900 - does that tie in with any of your records?

Do you know what happened to William?

Do you know Annie's maiden name?

Do you know if Alfred the younger aunt was from his maternal or paternal side?

I will email my sister and see what she can recall of the Brookes - I believe in the past she said one or both were always dressed in long black dresses, bear in mind my sister was very young then, I even younger.

Long shot here: any family from Abergavenny or Ross?

Ray

Hello , Ray i gone through my records and i just cant tie in Annie i have a William Brookes born 1877 the only marriage i can find for him is to a Alice ?
Also with Alfred Florence would have been his maternal aunt, i did a quick census check on William looks like he followed his fathers footsteps and became a painter and decorator (1901 & 1911 census , there is a link here somewhere as we both have same area and lot of same names . They could have been cousins etc.
Also do you know anything about the Brookes George or William designing m@b pub sign the deer leaping over a hedge or fairy washing up liquid logo one of them was a letter cutter etc . yours Dave p.s my home email is gibbo1958@yahoo.com

Hi Dave, I will email you a street map which shows back houses in Guildford St and Weston Place and some other aside info that might of interest.

However to get back to the Brookes - at the moment I'm thinking a possibilty is the first son of William and Annie could well have been named William - is this the William who married Emily/Annie

Ray

yes your right i gone through the records and William Brookes born 1877 married a Alice Elizabeth IN 1899 she was from Dudley their children were William born 1903 Herbert born 1906 so William the younger could have married Emily/Annie.
yrs DAVE

I think there're two confusions: a Annie Brookes family tied in someway (family, friends, etc) to the King family and an Emily Brookes family, quite posiibly both are related.

Referring back to post on 1920 polling register: - I need to double check this - the William (married to Annie) even if he had served in armed forces would not have been eligible to vote in 1920 if born 1903 and Annie would have needed to have been over 30 and occupied a premises with a value of over £5. Thus even the age alone gives a birth date of circa 1890.

Do you have a Birmingham address for William and Emily?

Ray

Back