• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Broad Street

Vivienne,

Parker Winder Achurch were on the corner of Berkley St, the site is now taken by the Jurys Inn Hotel.

Phil

Attachments

• City Broad St Parker, Winder Achurch 1934.JPG
    City Broad St Parker, Winder Achurch 1934.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 46
Thanks Rosie and Phil. Can't be 100% sure it's the place I remember as it looks quite different, but could well be the place as the shop would have later been modernised. I don't remember it occupying such a large site either, but perhaps they downsized over time. I do remember the entrance to the shop was on the corner and the inside I think was painted in pastel greens. Above the corner entrance was a large sign with the name of the company on, like the ones that used to be painted above pub doorways, pretty large and the name had a panelled border around it. Thinking a bit more about it I think it only sold brass fittings, so maybe it was connected to a local brass foundry. I've also wondered if Lee Longlands is still along there too. That was an Art Deco place, must be quite unique. Viv.

thanks for that pic phil its nice to see what was there before the jurys inn hotel...

lyn

I've also wondered if Lee Longlands is still along there too. That was an Art Deco place, must be quite unique. Viv.

Yes Viv Lee Longlands is still there, the oldest shop on Broad Street still trading. There are talking of a major refurbishment to the site. Don't know what that means. Hope it does not mean losing the curved glass windows. I know that Heals, a furniture store ion Tottenham Court Road Lopndon used to have similar windows. If you type Lee Longlands, Broad Street into Google Maps and thenuse Street View you will see the store as it is today.

Thanks David. Had a look at LL, good it's still there but looks ready for a wash and brush up! It would be improved if they got rid of the 70's (I assume) canopy. The entrance looks out of keeping. Just 'wandered' up and down Broad Street on Streetview and it ocurred to me that it isn't particularly 'broad'. Maybe it once was - well at leasst the Hall of Memory end has a broad appearance, possibly because it's uncluttered by high rise buildings. Further along Broad Street looks much more enclosed than I remember it. Viv.

My brother worked for Parker Winders in the 60s. He was an electrician there and wired a crematorium in Taunton. Quite a journey then as there was no M5.

img343.jpg
Lee Longland were in fact a partnership between Robert Lee and George Longland, they took over a business on broad Street where cabinets were manufactured. That business was called Gaunt & Co. and Lee Longland transformed that business premises into a furniture manufacturing establishment and it is now the longest surviving business on Broad Street'.

img344.jpg
This was the workshop of yesteryear with direct rear access to the canal. The timber was delivered via canal boat so it was unloaded straight into the premises.
Below is a picture of Lee Longlands first mechanically powered vehicle, this of course bought an end to the horse drawn vehicle previousy used for deliveries.

img345.jpg

Fascinating Stitcher I used to look in their window such swish furniture in the 70's when we bought our new house. It was a bit beyond our price at the time! I didn't even realise it was still there. Great pictures keep them coming please!

That's interesting Stitcher, can now see why Lee Longlands were based in Broad Street. Your photo #320 would have been their first shop, the current one replaced it in1932. The whole building looks like it's lost a wing - to the right of the current entrance. Viv.

560791fc-7bc0-a24b.jpg

Thanks David. The building hasn't lost a wing, it gained one to the left! This is the original sketch of the art deco building from the link David provided. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329302759.015264.jpg

I think I posted this comment a while ago on the Forum. But as it is pertinent to Lee Longland I mention it again.

In 1948, after my father refurnished the house he bought a very large Indian carpet from Mr. Lee. It weighed a ton from what I remember - well, it seemed to when the guys carried it in.

This was still in the 'austerity' period when many items were hard to obtain.

I had a nose around to see if I could find out anything about Dunlop's in Broad Street, but couldn't find anything. However this came up. Birmingham Motor Tyre Repository - Jack Smith's shop Broad Street in about 1928. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329331292.098377.jpg

If anyone wants more info about BMTR this is the link. https://www.tyrepress.com/index.php?news=17586

A couple mote Tyre Sales companies on Broad Street, they may have sold Dunlop Tyres but I don't think there was any direct connection.

Phil

Attachments

• City Broad St 1948.JPG
    City Broad St 1948.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 57
  • City Broad St 1956.JPG
    City Broad St 1956.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 62
  • City Broad St The Granville.JPG
    City Broad St The Granville.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 62
That makes quite a few tyre sales outlets in one road Phil ! Must be at various times.Viv.

img362.jpg
Sheepcote Street off Broad Steet was a Warren of factories and workshops all contributing towards a large manufacturing area.

A bit of info for non- seagoing members. Thimbles are used on rigging. Another great example of the vast range of products which came out of Birmingham. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329400819.994144.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329400837.997975.jpg

That makes quite a few tyre sales outlets in one road Phil ! Must be at various times.Viv.

Viv

Now that I look closely at them I think they are all of the same premises but taken at different angles and different times.

Phil

Being from the east side of Dartmouth Street area; I never realised the extent of industry on the other side (west) of town and the aerial photo's show the stacks and industry that was there. I suppose that industry gravitated early towards the canal side 'lot' or close to. The post on thimbles brings to mind also the number of Rope Walks there were around...some roads still named such...producing rope. Lots of it. The old full rigged ships would carry about 20 miles of rope for operations, so, with the number of ships around back then, this gives some idea of the large amount required for this aspect alone. Maybe the rope required for sea going vessels was made closer to the ports. Still canal boats and industry and farming required lots of rope also.

I have never thought of it in that way Ruoert but it certainly makes a lot sense the way you have put it.

I don't know where they came from or how long they were ther but I loaded a large lorry with rope several times from a place in St. Pauls Square. That may have no connection with Broad Street but I thought I would tell you.

Last edited by a moderator:
another industry in sheepcote street off broad street was with moult and meal casting ; was baxters bolts always burning dwn the waterlane you had british rpopes whom made different ropes wire ropes for alsorts of jobs and nylon ones as well ; they had a big stack you could have seen from broad sreet
aluminuim die casters off broad street just down from five ways as its known to day [ it was early known as islington row ; the caster heading down to there was ickneild port rd ; there was just right behind broad street its self behind broad st and i mean lee long lands ; behind there premises on broad stret there was oneyou could choose any one in view from broad stret in those days the coop dairy had one down bt watery lane
astonian;;

The The Royal Naval Reserve on Broad Street with Rum Runner door next door to right (offices or back door?) Above this Rum Runner door it says "Peter Hurley Ltd, Rum Runner Club" Must be very late 1970s or very early 1980s. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329430448.031719.jpg

Rum Runner entrance (a later entrance?) It looks like this was to the left of the Royal Naval Reserve in the first photo. I never went in there so don't know.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329430522.270685.jpg

img372.jpg
This is the workforce of 'SYKES' woodworking business, Sheepcote Street in 1898.

Another interesting photo Stitcher. I like the (apprentice?) lad on the end adopting all the mannerisms of his colleagues. They've quite modest advertising along the top of the wall showing all the types of carpentry jobs they handle. And the structure above the wall seems to be vented. Wonder if that would be the workshop or the storage area for the timber? Viv.

Timber storage areas are well ventilated, Vivienne. Protected from the weather, yet allowing the timber to 'breathe' and not dry out, when it might warp.

The 1901 census has a John Sykes aged 80, retired timber merchant, living in St Bernards Rd, Olton and George Sykes aged 50, timber merchant and family living next door.

Thanks Lloyd. Maybe Mr Sykes is on the end of the row. There's a chap in a boater too, possibly a family member or clerk perhaps. They employed quite a few people. Viv.

Thank you again Lloyd for your input, it is very helpful because as I have said before I have little or no information with some of these pics.

Back