• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Breezes? sweet shop, Green Lane, Small Heath

That's about where I have a vague memory of a sweet shop a sweet shop too Annie perhaps they have been renumbered there was a tobacconist around there too and an outdoor on the corner of Charles Road

That's about where I have a vague memory of a sweet shop a sweet shop too Annie perhaps they have been renumbered there was a tobacconist around there too and an outdoor on the corner of Charles Road
Hi there yes my mum was told it was bear the corner of Charles street but back then the address was 324 green lane which a Bert hands used to work in I'm just hopping if any one reads this they might know the hands family Agnes hands was whetton I would like to know if they had kids and really want a photo of Bert hands if any one can help plz do x

The photo I posted was next to the junction of Victoria Street and Green Lane, opposite the Vine public house. There was an outdoor, the sweet shop, and a newsagent next door to that two or three premises were bombed out during the war. This site was eventually taken over by a old mate of mine Ray Swift for his Estate Building Company.

My in-laws bought the sweet and tobacconist shop 324 Green Lane, in the late 1960's, but I have no knowledge of previous owners

324 Green Lane Confectioner

1973 Smith S.L.
1968 Freeman C.
1966 not listed
1962 Freeman C.A.
1955 Taylor Leslie. W.
1950 Hands Bert East.

SL Smith was my father in-law. He bought the shop in the late 1960's, and sold it around mid 70's we used to help in the shop on odd occasions when he was ill etc. My husband used to love penny 'whurley gigs', but if he had helped himself to one his dad always seemed to know and made sure he got the penny off him.

green lane  from the top of Grange Road.jpgAn old picture taken from around the Green Lane Grange Road junction showing the row of shops between Palace Road and Charles Road

Hello Annie,

I was born and grew up in Carlton Road (No 44). Our house backed on to Tennants Furniture Removals, in Victoria Street, which was destroyed by a landmine in 1940. I left when I got married in 1950 but my mother was there until she passed away in 1965.

In my day the greengrocers at the corner of Carlton Road and Green Lane was Blandfords. We used to buy specklled oranges and apples from there for a halfpenny. I got to know Les Ward later and we became good friends. When he sold the newsagents he and Mrs Ward went to live in Partridge Road, Yardley but they have both passed on now.

Did you go to Somerville Road School as I did?

Old Boy

Hi Annie,

You are quite right about Chapmans the newsagent in Carlton Road. We lived three doors from there. They had a daughter Renee. My brother, Arthur, did a paper round for them. There was another paper shop on Bordesley Green just round the corner from Carlton Road. It was Winfields and I did a paper round for them until we were bombed out and went to live with my sister, Florence, in Marcot Road, South Yardley. I then did a paper round for Cartwrights on Coventry Road opposite the Wagon and Horses.

Old Boy
Was walkers cycle shop on opposite corner?

According to Kelly's Trade Directory Walkers Radio, Television & Cycle Dealer later to become Motor Cycle Dealers were at both 280-288 Green Lane and 338 Green Lane which were located at the corners of Whitehall Road and Charles Road.

Was walkers cycle shop on opposite corner?
Hi All,
Walkers Radio Shop pre war and until I left in 1950 was on the corner of Carlton Road and Green Lane. Mr Walker had 2 sons whose names escape me but the eldest may have been named Reg. About 1953 or 54 I met Reg who opened a television shop in Witton Road near Witton Square. In fact I bought a TV set off him in 1956 so that I could see the cup final B'ham City v Manchester City.
Old Boy

According to Kelly's Trade Directory Walkers Radio, Television & Cycle Dealer later to become Motor Cycle Dealers were at both 280-288 Green Lane and 338 Green Lane which were located at the corners of Whitehall Road and Charles Road.
I have photo of Walkers cycle shop on Green Lane/ Carlton Rd. junction other shops you mention are a bit further along later selling Fiat and Simca cars.Will try to learn how to send photos.

Hi All,
Walkers Radio Shop pre war and until I left in 1950 was on the corner of Carlton Road and Green Lane. Mr Walker had 2 sons whose names escape me but the eldest may have been named Reg. About 1953 or 54 I met Reg who opened a television shop in Witton Road near Witton Square. In fact I bought a TV set off him in 1956 so that I could see the cup final B'ham City v Manchester City.
Old Boy
Hi, the sons were Wilf, Ray ( my dad) and Graham eldest was Wild. Wilton Rd. sold motor bikes later I have photo but need to learn how to send them.

Hello Berniew,
On that corner used to be Brocklesbys (the chemist). The 'other sweetshop' was about three doors up from there ?
I do remember the Becket family - quite a few children; and I think, after my time in Victoria Street, one of them actually owned or run what had become the Candy Shop.
Annie
Hi there would you know if any one that might know of the man with one leg in a sweet shop? Is wife’s name was Agnes ha da and he was Burt east hands plz? Amanda does any one know the chap and his wife in this shop plz ? Bert east hands and his wife Agnes

Attachments

• A199F622-ADE5-46F1-A2BE-9A9FB567098D.png
    A199F622-ADE5-46F1-A2BE-9A9FB567098D.png
    478.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back