• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Breeze Family - Blakeland St - 1915

Breezy

proper brummie kid
My great grandparents Alfred David Breeze and his wife Florence lived at 74 Blakeland St in the early 1900's.
They ran a small grocers from the house.
I wanted to know if anyone knew anything about them. I have some photos of them but I don't know an awful lot.

I do know that there was a terrible tragedy at that property when their daughter, my great aunt, passed away.
I have a transcript of the police report as follows:-

Alice Nellie Breeze
3 Years. Daughter of Alfred David Breeze, a general labourer of 72 Blakeland Street, died on Friday 26th February 1915.
Florence Breeze states:-
Dear was my daughter. She has been subject to heart attacks (becoming very blue and……..) and has been treated by Dr Murphy but has never had an illness. On Thursday 26th Feb last, about 9.30am she was playing about the house and shop (a small green grocers). There was a fire in the house grate and a guard in front.
I was engaged in filling the cart with vegetables to take out. Mrs Owen, a neighbour was with me. Dear came outside to us and then returned to the home. A moment or two later I heard a crash and a scream. Mrs Owen who was nearest ran into the house and I followed. I saw dear lying with her stomach in the fire, her feet resting on top of the guard struggling to get up.
There was a chair drawn up to the guard and a tin of condensed milk on the mantle shelf. Mrs Owen picked Dear off the fire and we found that she had slight burns to the bottom of the abdomen and on the right thigh. We applied linseed oil and lime water and bandaged her up and she seemed comfortable fairly well. She slept with her elder sister.
During the night she was sick. I fetched her into my bed and towards morning she seemed very bad and became blue. I sent for doctor who saw her about 11am. She became delirious during the day and died at 10.30pm.
I think Dear had stood on the chair to reach the condensed milk on the mantle shelf and had overbalanced into the fire.
I did not see Mrs Breeze but got these particulars from her husband and Mrs Owen (next witness).
Annie Owen states:-
I am the wife of Joseph Owen and I live at 81 Blakeland Street. I have known Dear from birth. On Thursday morning last I was with Mrs Breeze assisting her to load the cart. I heard a crash and scream in the house and ran in. I saw her lying in the fire as described above. I picked her up and said “what were you doing”. She said “Milk! Look!”. I saw that the tin of condensed milk was overturned on mantle shelf and a chair was drawn up close to guard.
She applied oil to Dear abdomen and thigh which were burned and bandaged her up. She seemed to have little the matter with her. By Friday 26th Feb morning about 7am I saw her. She was very ill and blue. During the morning, had a convulsion, became delirious. She died about 10.30pm.

I'd be interested if anyone has any photos of the shop or k does anything else about them.

Thanks

what a very sad story breezy...is blakeland st the one in bordesley because if so looking at street view no 72 is still there in fact it looks like nos 72 and 74 are combined as there only seems to be one front door for both houses..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn. Yes it's the Blakeland Street in Bordesley.
I've been researching my family for a couple of years now and have a few ancestors for this area in the early 1900s.
I can't find any other reference to the shop they ran apart from in this police report.
It's a terribly sad story really and it shows how poor the knowledge of treatment of injury/burns was at that time for the general public!

absolutely breezy...thank goodness medical knowledge has come on in leaps and bounds since those days...as you may know many little businesses were run from the front room of the house and the family lived at the back...may i ask where you got the police report from...have you tried looking at the british newspaper archives to see if there was a report in the papers..i am not subbed to it at the min but maybe members who are could do a search for you

lyn

Hi Lyn
I obtained the police report from a relative who had transcribed most of it.
I have a photo of Alfred and Florence along with the Census and also a trade directory but I'm struggling to upload them from my phone onto here.
Might try on the laptop tomorrow.
I'd be really interested to know if anyone has access to relevant newspapers to see if there were any articles. How would I go about finding out? (Sorry, I'm new to the forum!).
The census has Alfred down as a fish trader.
Thanks for your helpful input Lyn.

Richard

Have looked, and cannot find any reference looking for either Alice, Alfred or Florence Breeze

Thanks Lyn. Can't see anything on there but I'll keep looking.
I'll upload those documents tomorrow

yes thanks mike..

richard it would be interesting to see what the actual cause of death was on the death cert

lyn

yes i found it on ancestry richard but you would need a copy of the cert to give you cause of death..i will keep my eyes open for earlier photos of blakeland st and post them if i find any

lyn

There is one other interesting element to this story....
Alice died on 26th Feb 1915.
My daughter was born 26th Feb 2014.
99 years to the day...

how strange breezy...must say i am still interested in how the police report was obtained and quite surprised that there are no newspaper reports about this sad incident..wonder if there was an inquest into her death and i also noted that little alice was refered to as "dear" in the report not alice...

lyn

I knew a breeze family from Blakeland st, her name was betty breeze and she married Aubrey Walton. One of her Daughters is a member on this site.
I would of thought that they are members of your family...

I knew a breeze family from Blakeland st, her name was betty breeze and she married Aubrey Walton. One of her Daughters is a member on this site.
I would of thought that they are members of your family...

Yes that's Ann Walton I expect. It was Ann that sourced the police report.

how strange breezy...must say i am still interested in how the police report was obtained and quite surprised that there are no newspaper reports about this sad incident..wonder if there was an inquest into her death and i also noted that little alice was refered to as "dear" in the report not alice...

lyn
I think Dear was just an affectionate name they used. Maybe a sign of the times.

Back