• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

brearley street newtown.

Was it the 1960s when Brearley St (Great Hampton Row end) was cleared/renovated?

Thanks

Was it the 1960s when Brearley St (Great Hampton Row end) was cleared/renovated?

Thanks
yes i would say so mark because we moved to uxbridge st in 71 and our house was built on where that part of brearley st once was

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thanks Lyn. My (step) grandparents moved from there (246) to Yardley and I thought it was about then.
my aunt lived in that section of the street mark cant recall the number but i think it was almost next to the star and garter pub which was on the corner i think with gt hampton row..its just bought to mind that one day workmen had to dig up the pavement outside our house in uxbridge st and they found an old silver spoon which must have belonged to one of the brearley st residents..i will stand to be corrected here but i think at some point (maybe way back ) that part of the st was called brearley st west...maybe just by the locals so i would have to check that one out

lyn

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Not too far away then. My (step) great grandmother ran a grocery shop there in the 1930s.

There appear to be lots of mentions of Brearley St West in the papers so you're probably right.

you may already have this mark but a map showing 246 and only a few feet from the star and garter pub...asked mike to send me the map

lyn

brearley st map no 246.jpg

Thanks Mike I found the map it is 270 I am looking for not 217.
270 is just on the map, I always thought Brearley street only ran between newtown row and Gt Hampton row are there any more properties to the west of 270?

Hi can any one see of there were any Field family members in Brearley street between 1850 and 1900 , im sure there was , if so what no did they live at as they are my direct paternal decedents

There is a Henry Field living at 316 Brearley St in 1891 with his wife, Dinah, 2 children and 5 step children. He is listed as a Silversmith.

mmm I dont think hes related ...dont recog the name anyway

There are a William and Ann, and there 3 children in 1871, he was a spoon polisher.

Also a Joseph and Sarah, and there 3 sons in 1871, he was a gun finisher.

You would need to see the scans to see if there are any numbers.

There are a William and Ann, and there 3 children in 1871, he was a spoon polisher.

joseph and sarah yes ....he died in Rubery asylum in I think 1890 and left sarah a widow and yes thats a sad story as he was only 47

what no was it on the street that joseph and sarah lived please

Wales, when I was a tipper driver I worked for W.J.Law Demolition and they knocked Brearly St. down. I could not swear to it but I think most of it went under the runway at the airport.
what year would that have been ?? ...and you are talking about Bham airport ?

if this is to be a family research enquiry could you please continue on the surname interests of the forum as we are going off topic now...thanks

the team

Back