• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Braithwaite Road Sparkbrook

S

Sue Mac

Tracing the Brassington family of Betley, Staffordshire.One of my Grandfather's sisters Nancy K Brassington was living in Braithwaite Road in the early 1920's , as was a Mr. Edward Platt.
They married and went to live in Canada ?

What was the history of Braithwaite Road in the 1920's please .

Can anyone give me any further help.

Sue Mac

Welcome Sue.:)
Do you have anymore dates that would help, but I'm sure the good folks here are digging as we speak. enjoy:)

Try this Sue may lead to other things

https://www.betley.net/

Last edited:
My grandmother, Margaret Lucy Bent née Brown lived at number 23 from 1890 until she married c.1910. Her father was Luis Brown from London. The family continued to live there probably until 1930s

Tracing the Brassington family of Betley, Staffordshire.One of my Grandfather's sisters Nancy K Brassington was living in Braithwaite Road in the early 1920's , as was a Mr. Edward Platt.
They married and went to live in Canada ?

What was the history of Braithwaite Road in the 1920's please .

Can anyone give me any further help.

Sue Mac

Braitwaite street spark hill was a posh quarter in those days
Alot of huge white victorian houses especialy the top end of the street
In later years during the fortys and fifties they became lodging houses ie, rooms to let
And almost taken over by the Irish community
What we called the Navvies , Ie, road workers whom built our city ,sub contractors
From the Gallaghers and the Murphy,s and may i had its an insult if you said that to an irish
Road worker in those days there is more contracters names i could tell you
But it would take to long
Stratford road which is Braitwaite road is just off and not far from the mermaid pub
Where they used to place themselves hoping to get chosen for a shift , a days work, to them
Some was chosen regular and some was not
Stratford road became the Irish quarter and later ve tured as far as digbeth in later years
Best wishes Astonian,,,

This 1921 view shows the former Lloyd’s Bank on the corner. It was once a much leafier road. Looks to me like the young girl and boy are pushing the pram through the gate of the house one or two doors along from the bank. Perhaps they lived there ? Viv.

C6BDD71F-DDBC-4A8D-A171-D9C7F203AC56.jpegF3D7991A-44E5-4A31-A9DA-EB8B758327E2.jpeg

Back