• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bracebridge Street

Here's a picture of the Junction of Bracebridge and Aston Brook Streets.

Attachments

• Aston Brook St_Bracebridge St_circa late 50s.jpg
    Aston Brook St_Bracebridge St_circa late 50s.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 51
jonob that is a cracking photo...pretty sure i have not seen it before will those little girls please come forward:)...thank you

lyn

john a kellys look up should help with pic 2 but again i cant recall seeing that photo either...mind you the old memory is not what it was

lyn

Have looked through Kellys back to 1913 and only Price I can find is the W Price already mentioned. Would ask John how sure he is that it is Bracebridge St?

john if you look at my original postings of the photos on this thread some have captions...your post 204 regarding pic 1...caption reads its showing nos 123 to127

lyn

john if you look at my original postings of the photos on this thread some have captions...your post 204 regarding pic 1...caption reads its showing nos 123 to127

lyn
Hi Lyn, I did see that caption but on the map there is an entry between 123 & 125 which isn't showing on the picture so I'm not entirely sure it was labelled correctly. John

Have looked through Kellys back to 1913 and only Price I can find is the W Price already mentioned. Would ask John how sure he is that it is Bracebridge St?
Hi Mike, thanks for your help, of the 4 pictures I need to be convinced 1, 2 & 4 are actually Bracebridge Street. I want information that I add to the interactive map to be as accurate as possible. John

Hi Lyn, I did see that caption but on the map there is an entry between 123 & 125 which isn't showing on the picture so I'm not entirely sure it was labelled correctly. John

hi john it is always possible that the caption is not correct over the years we have had many of them...

lyn

remember it well horsencart i was there for couple of the runs so were my lads on their bikes...far as i know they are no more or at least the original organiser has stopped doing them.....my aunts house was just a few yards down from the norton cycle works i must have passed it hundreds of time as a girl never knowing the importance of it

lyn

Astonian, I knew Bracebridge Street pretty well, but can't remember any traffic lights, certainly not Newtown Row end, not sure about the Aston Road end, perhaps someone else might. I don't recall the story about the pawnbrokers - sorry.
I used to live at 20 Bracebridge street in the 60's. The traffic lights were at the aston road end. I got knocked down by a coal lorry at those lights while going to the post office for my mum. Did not lose any of the money though. I went to elkington street school when I lived there. Only remember one other pupil from my class, her name was ann bird. I was only 8, but people used to ask me if she was my girl friend as we were always together in school.

Last edited:
hi guys
does anybody recal bracebridge street aston ,
and does any body recall the pawnbrokers along there on the corner
by the traffic lights in the 60-or the 70.s
when they was burgled and got cleaned out with every think
i beleived the bounders got through the roof and came down through
the ceilings to the shop floor
can any=body recall the name of the people whom owned the shop
and did they ever catch the culprits whom done it
would the peoples property would have ben covered by insurance
for the pawnbroker
have a nice day every -body and be careful out there
best wishes astonian ;;;
I lived at number 20, but do not remember the pawn brokers. I think I may have been too young to notice. The traffic lights were at the aston road end.

Last edited:
I have just found this site and it is great to see pictures of my old haunt Bracebridge Street having lived at no 160 from 1948 - 1969 with my sister Lesley and Mom & Dad (Joan & Samuel Herbert (known as Bert). I went to Elkington Street School, then Summer Lane and finally Holte Grammer (formally Aston Commercial).

I am still in touch with a number of old friends from the Aston area, but would like to contact Robert Parker who lived in Elkington Street between Bracebridge Street and Aston Brook Street.

Geoff (GNC) are you related to Peter Coley?
I used to live in Bracebridge street too. I lived at number 20, & went to Elkington Street school. This was around 1962ish. I can only remember one person from school, that was ann bird, who helped me home after having cramp following sitting for a long time having our christmas party. I can remember being told to take a spoon with my name on it. Such happy times. I also remember the chippy on the opposite side of the road, which was opposite the greengrocers.

I have 4 pictures of Bracebridge Street which I am unable to pinpoint a location for, could any budding detectives have a look and see if they can help.
The 1st pic shows 2 double fronted houses, rather unusual for this area I would have thought.
The 2nd pic shows A Price greengrocer, I have located a W Price at No. 55 but that is a corner house and the pic doesn't seem to be on a corner.
The 3rd pic is I think where Bracebridge Street meets Aston Road?
The 4th pic is a complete mystery.
Thank you, John
If my memory serves me well John, I think picture 4 is showing the house at the back. remember living in a house that I had to go up an entry to get to the front door. We had a large bricked court yard with the brewhouses at the top. I was only about 8ish when I lived there so my memory would be a little hazy right now as I have not spoke of those time for a long time. It is really great that we can now remember & talk about those days. Hope that is a little help.The 3rd picture is where bracebridge street meets aston road. I remember getting knocked down by a coal lorry at those traffic lights, thanks to a lady telling me it was safe to cross the road. I was only about 6 at the time.

If my memory serves me well John, I think picture 4 is showing the house at the back. remember living in a house that I had to go up an entry to get to the front door. We had a large bricked court yard with the brewhouses at the top. I was only about 8ish when I lived there so my memory would be a little hazy right now as I have not spoke of those time for a long time. It is really great that we can now remember & talk about those days. Hope that is a little help.The 3rd picture is where bracebridge street meets aston road. I remember getting knocked down by a coal lorry at those traffic lights, thanks to a lady telling me it was safe to cross the road. I was only about 6 at the time.
Hi Michael, so that 3rd picture shows where the White Hart once stood? When you get chance can you have a look at Bracebridge Street on the interactive map

NOTE: TEMPORARILY DISABLED A NEW VERSION IS BEING CREATED

www.leroux.co.uk/parklane and see if you agree with locations. Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Michael, so that 3rd picture shows where the White Hart once stood? When you get chance can you have a look at Bracebridge Street on the interactive map www.leroux.co.uk/parklane and see if you agree with locations. Thanks
Hello John. Had a look at the map. Unfortunately, it appears that is a map of the Lozells area.unfortunately it does not show aston road/bracebridge street junction, but from what I remember, The white hart once stood on that spot. My dad used to drink in there most of the time. Have not seen any of that area since I left there, as it was all demolished not long after we moved to make way for spaghetti junction.We moved to waterworks street from there. Really loved my days down there. My dad was working at Benton & Stones at the time. Just thought I would mention John. I have joined a group on facebook that also has people with memories of growing up in aston, It is called Aston Birmingham 6. They share memories & photographs on there.

Last edited:
Hi Michael, so that 3rd picture shows where the White Hart once stood? When you get chance can you have a look at Bracebridge Street on the interactive map www.leroux.co.uk/parklane and see if you agree with locations. Thanks
Just been reminded of how our houses were in those days. I had forgotten, but my house was at the front, & other houses backed onto ours. A bricked walled & floored courtyard.A gas light sat on top of the wall to light the whole area up at night. Those were the days.

Its lsited in Kellys as Enots works
Mike
Thank you Mike. Yes, I remember my dad telling me it was enots, but when my dad took me & my 2 brother's there for their christmas party, I remember looking up & seeing Benton & Stones. I never knew why until now why the Enots

hi michael very good chance our paths crossed..my aunt lived at 71 bracebridge st and during the 60s i would stay at my cousins a lot so must have passed your house lots of times..also played in the park

i have also noticed that all the old pre demo black and white photos i posted some years ago are no longer visible this is due to when this forum was hacked and we lost all of our images so later on tonight i will try to re post them all again for you

lyn

hi michael very good chance our paths crossed..my aunt lived at 71 bracebridge st and during the 60s i would stay at my cousins a lot so must have passed your house lots of times..also played in the park

i have also noticed that all the old pre demo black and white photos i posted some years ago are no longer visible this is due to when this forum was hacked and we lost all of our images so later on tonight i will try to re post them all again for you

lyn
hi Lyn. If my memory serves me well,I think your aunt's house was opposite the chippy. I think an irish couple ran it. I used to go to the park too. My memory is not as good as it used to be, but if I can remember, there was a park opposite the bus garage in miller street. I think it was known as bloomsbury street park. (it could be I am thinking of another park in aston, as there was so many I used to go to with my brothers).

michael if you go to the map on post 60 my aunts house is marked in red..the norton factory in green and you can also see the park in a rectangle shape.. one of.the photos i am hoping to repost later shows my aunts house...happy days

lyn

Thank you Mike. Yes, I remember my dad telling me it was enots, but when my dad took me & my 2 brother's there for their christmas party, I remember looking up & seeing Benton & Stones. I never knew why until now why the Enots
i always called it enots. thats strange. Benton and Stone - Graces Guide
becouse the name come from "stone spelt backwards"

Attachments

• 1551177922888.png
    1551177922888.png
    919.1 KB · Views: 11
michael if you go to the map on post 60 my aunts house is marked in red..the norton factory in green and you can also see the park in a rectangle shape.. one of.the photos i am hoping to repost later shows my aunts house...happy days

lyn
Thank you for that Lyn. It was walmer street park we used to go to. i do not know how I came up with bloomsbury street. Maybe another park. From the look of the map. It looks like your aunts house was opposite ours. We was number 20.

i always called it enots. thats strange. Benton and Stone - Graces Guide
becouse the name come from "stone spelt backwards"
Thanks Pete. I never knew that. My dad never told me anything about his work, though he did tell arthur, as he was dad's favourite. I can remember dad bringing some brass buttons home one day after finish his night shift.I can always remember the large sign above the factory. If I am right, the writing was in big green letters. Regards michael.

Attachments

• Benton & stones,Aston.jpg
    Benton & stones,Aston.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Thank you for that Lyn. It was walmer street park we used to go to. i do not know how I came up with bloomsbury street. Maybe another park. From the look of the map. It looks like your aunts house was opposite ours. We was number 20.

mike i think bloomsbury park was or is over nechells way

i will ask mike one of our map experts to go to post 60 and highlight your no 20..were you on the front or the back of 20 ?..dont think it would have been dead opposite my no 71 but not that far off

lyn

mike i think bloomsbury park was or is over nechells way

i will ask mike one of our map experts to go to post 60 and highlight your no 20..were you on the front or the back of 20 ?..dont think it would have been dead opposite my no 71 but not that far off

lyn
Thanks Lyn. I have just remembered. It was nechells.

Back