• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bracebridge Street

I'm sure I remember the steam engine - it would've been there in my time. I also remember the shop on the corner which sold penny bottles of pop. The bottles were green and once had those glass balls for stoppers. Although not in Bracebridge Street, sorry, but I liked the machine which had pull down handles which injected fizzy water into the different syrups.

Vantas?

Dave A

Lyn & DJB, posts #10 (last pic) and #114. I came across this photo of Dolly and Arthur Clifford (my Mom's sister and b-i-l) taken outside their shop, Clifford's Cafe, at the corner of St Stephen's Street / Bracebridge Street. It either says 1956 or '58 on the back.

Attachments

• Cliffords Cafe.jpg
    Cliffords Cafe.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 77
  • D & A Mid 1950's.jpg
    D & A Mid 1950's.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 71
Hi, not sure if you've already found it but there's a picture of the bandstand just after the war on the Walmer Rec thread.

Hi all, my name is Doug O' Brien. Our entire family lived at 2 back of 212 Bracebridge St from around 1963 to 1966. Our wonderful mother Anne raised six of us single handedly. We have vague memories of the McCormick family as specifically we remember Veronica as she sometimes baby sat for our mom & she was in & out of our house all day long. We also remember her brother Peter too.

Because it was so long ago we are not entirely sure where our house was on Bracebridge St so we would be extremely grateful if someone could provide a map with an exact pinpoint location.

We remember The Woodcock family, the Broome family who we used to tease over the wall whilst they were all taking it in turns to have a bath & the Beatlestones & a lovely lady called Audrey who sadly passed away. We also remember Bowaters Grocery shop, The House that Jack built & the rag & bone man who used to hand out balloons to the kids. We also used to attend William Cowper St Infant School too.

Somewhere nearby was a large concrete park or recreation ground which we seem to remember contained a large old train engine & a bandstand. Again we would be grateful if anybody else can shed any light on this & oncemore pinpoint their location. Again if anybody could provide any photographs that would be truly wonderful.
[/QUOTE]
Hi Doug, I remember your family. I am Billy Woodcock from the Woodcock family number 212, you lived at the back of our house number 2? I also remember the Broome family, Beatlestones and Peter Mcormick was my best friend. We also went to William Cowper Street school. Nice to hear from you on here.

Whilst going through some old slides when we got the projector out for some other pictures I found these from the 1950's. Although they are snaps of people two do show Bracebridge Street and others Walmer Rec. So in this case the background is the reason for posting. Someone may spot something of interest. I realise they are not of the best quality but the have been photographed from a projected image. I have one more which I will post later.

Attachments

• P2260025 (2).JPG
    P2260025 (2).JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 93
  • P2260098 (2).JPG
    P2260098 (2).JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 94
  • P2260026 (2).JPG
    P2260026 (2).JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 89
  • P2260027 (2).JPG
    P2260027 (2).JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 89
oh gosh pen those are wonderful photos:) and bring back memories to me of the days i used to visit my aunt in bracebridge st..myself and my cousin would always play in that park which as you pointed out was once the walmer rec..so named because prior to becoming called high st newtown it was formally called walmer lane

lyn

Last edited:
Just a couple more. These aren't very sharp due to the original slides. One is another of Bracebridge Street and the other is taken in St Stephen's Street overlooking the rec.

Attachments

• P2270133 (2).JPG
    P2270133 (2).JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 82
  • P2270132 (2).JPG
    P2270132 (2).JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 84
thanks for the other two pics pen these photos are rare as they are private ones..brill....the memories have come flooding back:)

lyn

hi stars as ever no thanks needed but thank you anyway....didnt need to use my scanner for these as i had to take pics of the pics at the library so just uploaded them from my camera..resized and posted them..will have a look at that other thread you mentioned after dinner...

lyn
Lyn have you reposted these again? ( fingers crossed )

I think we had this photograph of George Formby visiting the Norton motorcycle works on Bracebridge Street previously but it was one of the photographs that was hacked. Apologies if it is elsewhere on the site.

nortonFormby.jpg

Below is a photograph of Norton motorcycle workers doing a photo shoot, I'm not sure if it is connected with Formby's visit. It's interesting because if you look closely, the men have got their feet on the 'pedals' and the motorcycles themselves are supported by house bricks! Again, apologies if is posted elsewhere on the site.

257jad.jpg

This is Bracebridge St.on the occasion of the unveiling of a plaque on the wall of Norton Motors.The unveiling was done by the lady mayor,and Geoff Duke.
These are the pics which are missing from post#15 ... does the plaque still exist ?
bracebridgest2.jpg

bracebridgest1.jpg

Last edited:
short answer to that phil....no....as this is not the main bracebridge st thread i will get them merged

lyn

Back