• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bowley & Co, Glass Cutters And Gun Works On Summer Lane

LSt1603

knowlegable brummie
Hi, I would like to know firstly the location of Bowley & Co, a glass cutters, which existed in the 1890s-1900s.

Secondly, I would like to know the name of the gun works on Summer Lane, between Brearley Street and Lower Tower Street.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you

there is no bowley, glass cutters in Kellys in 1895, 1900, 1904 or 1910.
In 1895 there is only one Gunmaker listed in Kellys on thta section of Summer Lane, Bently & Playfair at no 315, which technically is between Brearley St and Tower St (tower St becoming Lower Tower St at summer Lane)

there is no bowley, glass cutters in Kellys in 1895, 1900, 1904 or 1910.
In 1895 there is only one Gunmaker listed in Kellys on thta section of Summer Lane, Bently & Playfair at no 315, which technically is between Brearley St and Tower St (tower St becoming Lower Tower St at summer Lane)

Thank you very much for your help!

My ancestor gave his employer's name as "Mr Bolli", who lived in Pritchett (or Pritchard) Street, near Brearley Street in 1900.

Perhaps there was a glass cutters near Brearley Street?

there is a Edwin C Bellamy, lamp burner manufacturer at 129 Pritchett St. Lamps would presumably need glass , which would have to be cut. But that is a very dubious guess

there is a Edwin C Bellamy, lamp burner manufacturer at 129 Pritchett St. Lamps would presumably need glass , which would have to be cut. But that is a very dubious guess

My ancestor worked as a glass blower, if that's of any help.

Back