• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bournville Open Air Lido

I would imagine the Library at Bournville would have more photos and info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bournville Girls Baths

Anne, not a photo of the Lido but of the Girls Baths which was built in 1905, in those days the building held 87 dressing boxes as they were called, 27 spray baths (showers) also slipper baths etc. the photo shows learners in a single year.
The baths held 105,000 gallons and measured 80 ft by 60 ft

Anne you are welcome to use this if you want to .... 1931 (just by the football pitch behind the goals) is what I thought was the Lido but on checking an old map it is a lake from the River Bourne
The Lido was built in 1896

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a photo I found of Rowheath Lido.

The Rowheath Pavilion is in the foreground, also showing the 2 bandstands.

The Lido can be seen over in the field furthest away. That area is now occupied by Oak Farm housing estate.

The actual Lido pool area is now occupied by a small group of newly built houses overlooking the lake, built in 2006.

I used to spend many days at the lido back in the 60+70s until it was closed. They seemed such sunny days back then. The tubs of ice cream from the lido cafe made it just perfect!

Im always looking for photos of the lido so if anyone has any more please can you post them here?

Thnx

Andy

Yes, lovely aerial shot. I remember training there when the queues for Woodcock Street Baths were queing up all up the street and around the corner on hot summer days. My diving coach used to perch me on the back of his motorbike again and off we'd go to Bourneville. I associate this with the lovely summer days and the green leafy suburbia. I loved it and hoped he'd take me there everytime he picked me up from Snowhill from my journey from West Bromwich straight from school (nearly every day of the week) for my training.

I used to go to Bournville lido and the one in St Nicolas park in Warwick happy days

Mossy

Do you really think so? Wow!!!!!

What you don't see anymore are those queues clammering to get a cool dip. Did the filtration units cope in those days I wonder?
Those were the days

Sorry to have been away so long

Was this the one opposite Kings Norton Girls Grammar? We used to go swimming from the school in the summer term.

Yes Anna, thats the one. Must have been nice on warm summer days, but not too good in the spring/Autumn, as I dont think the pools were heated.

You could have always kept warm with a cup of hot chocolate from the cafe there!

I dont suppose you have any photos of the lido do you?

In reply to this unfortunatley it was filled in and house built on it approx 10 years ago.
I did ask why? I was told "the Skin was split in the pool and it would cost too much to replace and also health and safety it would have to have a full time life guard which would be too costly?

Absolutly interesting . Thanks for all these posts. The lido is grassed over and possibly the area not recognised, but I can guess Sorry I haven't participated of late. Lots of thing to sort out. Not bad! But I'll be back
Anne

Having been a regular visitor to the Rowheath lido in my younger days I was sad to see it go and then the land get developed with a small housing estate.The Lido would have been in the red circled portion of the attached picture.

View attachment 50573

I can not remember the Lido shown in photo but we spent many a happy day at Rowheath Lido, I learnt to swim in the baths that were to the right of the road that took you to number 2 lodge.

Thank you for posting up the aerial photo of the Lido site. Gosh how things change. I can see now - getting bearings from the direction of the road where this pool would have been located. All I remember was a very leafy lane with the entrance to the pool adjacent to this. Gosh, the Lido hosted important swimming events even with International status. They were very happy days in my young childhood. The warm balmy summer days with just birdsong and fresh air. Now what do we get? I suppose my childhood memories would be far different to an adults memory at that time however.

My children take their children to Droitwich spa Lido so Lido's are still enjoyed, ita a pity so many have dissapeared.

That's a pity Anne that the Cadbury/Bournville lido was removed. But at least the Pavilion remains. Thanks for posting as I never knew about the lido. Viv.

Back