• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley Green

denji

knowlegable brummie
My Grandparents lived at 40 back 1 Bordesley Green in 1901 are there any photo's thank you.

Hi denji

Are you sure it was 40 back of 1 and not 1 back of 40 or 4 back of 1, because 40 seems a lot of houses for a back court, and looking on the maps I can't see a court that big. Anyway number 1 Bordesley Green was somewhat opposite the Atlas public house just by where the tram on this photo is. I think you will be very lucky if anybody can come up with a photo of the house or even back court, but you never know bigger difficulties have been surmounted by the posters on here in the past.

Attachments

• Bordesley Green - Cattell Road - Atlas Pub.[1].JPG
    Bordesley Green - Cattell Road - Atlas Pub.[1].JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 26
denji

This is my problem with the address given, the attached map shows the approximate location of number 1 Bordesley Green at the end of Cattell Rd. As you can see that none of the back courts/terraces show more than 9 or 10 houses. Perhaps Mike will be able to come up with a larger numbered map that will show more detail.

Sorry I forgot to upload the map with my last post, you will see what I say about the back courts / terraces

Attachments

• Bordesley Green.JPG
    Bordesley Green.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 32
Thank you Phil I have been thinking about the address, do you think it could have been 1 back of 40.

Hi Denji

It's entirely possible except for the fact that looking at the map at the property that would have been number 40 when the houses in the locality were demolished there were no back terraces or courts to the rear of it. Of course because these houses were built on the brickworks site around the time of the marriage (1901) and the houses were new additions to Bordesley Green there may have been a renumbering.

What we need is someone who has access to census records to check and see if the address information on the wedding certificate is correct and if not then what is correct.

Denji
I have examined your certificate. My version of it would definitely be no 1 back of no 40. i don't think i have ever seen a court going as high as 40 houses. i think Phil was hoping that electoral rolls might help, but before 1910 they are not too much use in this sort of case as women , and many men are not included. I did look at the Rate books for 1901, but no-one named Higgs or Williams seem to be listed in Bordesley Green . (I am not quite sure if the area was included on those online anyway).
Apart from that i examined the maps available. there is no indication of any large court around no 1. No 40 would be just to the east of the junction of Crown Road with Bordesley Green. From the 1880s till the 1950s this seems to have been industrial, firstly the Atlas & Crown brickworks, and at around 1900 a coal yard. therefore it cannot be there. Lastly, in confirmation i found the areas around no 1 and no 40 on the 1901 census. There is no no1, or back no 1 listed, and the first number listed is no 7. Similarly there are no occupants listed between no 12 and no 70.
Therefore I think it can be concluded that the addresses given on the certificate were false. It was not uncommon to give a false address, not necessarily for any really dubious purpose, but because, as i understand it to be married at a church you had to live in that area or have regularly worshipped at the church, or obtain special permission. If one of the pair lived in the area it was common for both to say they lived there. Otherwise sometimes a false address was given
hope this had been useful

Last edited:
denji

So there you have it, straight from the horses mouth because if Mike can't get to the bottom of this sort of thing then I don't believe anybody can.

Thank you Phil ,Mikejee,you have done great with this Thread...I am reseaching my Family tree,i have found that it was my grand-mother who has the secrets.She ran away from home when she was very young,maybe 15 or 16 year,She got married 1901,where she went i dont know.I cannot find her on the 1901 march censor.So now i have completed her life after she married,July 1901.Sincere thanks for your work.

HarryWilliams who married my grand-mother was on the 1901 censor with his parents (single).

Bordesley Green police and fire stations, possibly around 1920s. One section between the fire station and the police station seems to have gone, probably to give wider access to the rear of the buildings. Viv

48C5F21B-BF6E-4B2C-86C4-56B9595816B0.jpeg
E598E2E1-8616-4F6B-892B-B0BD9C90D2C0.jpeg
5458F8CE-4BC0-4AFE-8E99-4682F9811E7B.jpeg

Last edited:
Bordesley Green police and fire stations, possibly around 1920s. One section between the fire station and the police station seems to have gone, probably to give wider access to the rear of the buildings. Viv

View attachment 168993
View attachment 168994
View attachment 168995
They kept the foundation stone for the fire station. The area beyond the fire station used to be a large area of open ground that was full of large wooden cable rolls and other construction materials belonging to a factory/office site down Fordrough Lane. I think it was GPO. The police station building has a sign for Heartlands Hostel.

Back