• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley Green Doctors...

Dr Jones was our doctor (we lived in Park Villas, Witton Street), and I seem to remember the names of Drs Bowen and Benbow.

Memories of the surgery: the sound of the gas fire, the padded bench that ran round the walls, and the way patients used to move around like a snake (as I thought as a child) when the next in the queue went in. I think there was pale green paint.

I can't remember a receptionist, but surely there was one? What I can remember is a medicinal smell, and that as you went down the corridor to Dr Jones' room, there was a partitioned-off part of the corridor (green paint again?) on the left, behind which was...what? An office, a nurse - i really can't remember.

Dr Jones was a very nice person. My mother told me that his wife died young.

Dr Jones was our doctor (we lived in Park Villas, Witton Street), and I seem to remember the names of Drs Bowen and Benbow.

Memories of the surgery: the sound of the gas fire, the padded bench that ran round the walls, and the way patients used to move around like a snake (as I thought as a child) when the next in the queue went in. I think there was pale green paint.

I can't remember a receptionist, but surely there was one? What I can remember is a medicinal smell, and that as you went down the corridor to Dr Jones' room, there was a partitioned-off part of the corridor (green paint again?) on the left, behind which was...what? An office, a nurse - i really can't remember.

Dr Jones was a very nice person. My mother told me that his wife died young.

yeah, the manky old gas fire stuck in my mind as well, and the wooden partition that you had to ait by when it was your turn next. it was where the Nurse/receptionist hung out, all the old buff medical records were stored in there.

Docs Bowen & Jones were quire old, or at least seemed to be to me when I was little, but who was the younger one with I think an Irish accent ?

Hello there, col h,
"....... the younger one with I think an Irish accent" would have been Dr Aidan Martin; he was the only Irishman in the 5-doctor, 3-surgery practice. The other four doctors were all Welsh and had the associated, pronounced "sing-song" accent. Although younger than both Dr Bowen (the senior partner) and Dr Jones, Dr Martin was not the youngest of the five GPs. The youngest - and "newest" - was Dr Benbow, who joined the practice in 1957.
Dr Aidan Martin's son, Dr Niall Martin, was also a member of the practice prior to and after their joining other local doctors at the Yardley Green Medical Centre. David

Hello, Maria,
Dr Jones's wife, Myra, outlived him quite handsomely. David

Hello again, Maria,
I've sent you a private message (IM: Instant Message); I hope you've found it. Best regards, David

There was a doctors practice in Blake Lane at the top end, where Dr Williamson, Dr Ellis and Dr Gregory practiced. They also had a surgery in the middle of Finnemore Road opposite the park.
At the bottom end of Blake Lane was the practice that had Dr Bembow and others.

Re: Bordesley green

With respect ,if the Forum owner sees fit to post non Doctor Etc posts on this thread then i shall continue to do so , i posted on this thread due to placing a photograph of what was said to have been the Doctors house !!!! Next door to the Victoria Pub , the beauty of friendly forums as this one is that one thing leads on to another and our knowledge in history of given areas grows .

I am looking for a photo of this house as I lived there with my parents for 10 years. They were caretakers for the Doctors . Just one room used for a waiting room the rest was an add on we had the rest of this very large house as our home.

Re: Bordesley green

With respect ,if the Forum owner sees fit to post non Doctor Etc posts on this thread then i shall continue to do so , i posted on this thread due to placing a photograph of what was said to have been the Doctors house !!!! Next door to the Victoria Pub , the beauty of friendly forums as this one is that one thing leads on to another and our knowledge in history of given areas grows .
Did you ever find the photo of the Doctors Surgery next to the Victoria Pub I am trying to find one, My parents were caretakers for the practice and we lived there as a family for 12 years

Hello there, col h,
"....... the younger one with I think an Irish accent" would have been Dr Aidan Martin; he was the only Irishman in the 5-doctor, 3-surgery practice. The other four doctors were all Welsh and had the associated, pronounced "sing-song" accent. Although younger than both Dr Bowen (the senior partner) and Dr Jones, Dr Martin was not the youngest of the five GPs. The youngest - and "newest" - was Dr Benbow, who joined the practice in 1957.
Dr Aidan Martin's son, Dr Niall Martin, was also a member of the practice prior to and after their joining other local doctors at the Yardley Green Medical Centre. David

Hello, Maria,

Dr Jones's wife, Myra, outlived him quite handsomely. David

Afraid your wrong there David, my parents were caretakers for the practice lived in the house attached to the surgery. My Mum was also the receptonist :) this was in the 50's - 60's I was 14 at the time. Dr Jone's wife along with his 8 year old young daughter were killed in a car accident on their way to Wales for a family holiday. Very sad time.

Back