• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Booths Farm

Unsure just where it stood matey, but your mention brought back memories of working at Williams Greengrocers on the corner of Booths Farm Road and Perrywood. I was going out with a girl that worked at Wimbush's Cake Shop. That would have been back in 1956/7. I have lovely memories of that area.

KW,As a kid I lived on the "Beeches Estate" close to where Booths Farm was.Looking on Google Earth there now seems to be a 9 hole golf course where the farm was located.As I live in Oz now could someone living local confirm that.Les

Will take a photo next time we go to the farm. Will be sometime next week. Has anyone a photo of the old house please?. Jean.

Have tried to superimpose the 1890 map, showing booths Farm onto present day view. Result is below. Map not that clear, but Booths farm is to the left of "ingham" on the view
Mike

Is this the house at Booths Farm? I know the caption says it is but I have learnt not to rely on those when you don't know the site in question.

Phil

GreatBarrBoothsFarm.jpg

Used to play "Over the Brook" which is what we called the old gravel pits near Boothes Farm. Of course everyone knows its famous history of William Booth the forger. The gravel pits were a paradise for kids. Had a friend worked at the fruit shop after Williams sold out.

Have tried to superimpose the 1890 map, showing booths Farm onto present day view. Result is below. Map not that clear, but Booths farm is to the left of "ingham" on the view
Mike
I lived on the Beeches Estate and played in that area and remember the farm, it was derelict at the time, and it position looks about right relative to the original 'Booths Lane' which was in line with the short spur off Sandy Lane which can be seen on your map. I use to love riding my bike along that hilly lane.

thanks for posting those pics...yes william booth the master forger..i used to live a few mins from there around 30 years ago..wished i had realised then the history of it...my brother was fortunate enough to be one of those who helped excavate the foundations when it was demolished...:( all he found was a couple of old pennies....:rolleyes:

lyn

Wasn't Booth (Good for Quiz questions) twice caught, twice tried and twice Hanged!!!!
I played over there 1n the 1950's and in 60's on motorbikes.

hi leonard...i am not sure where he is buried...have to go out now but will try to find out...unless someone else can have a look...

cheers..

lyn

I would like to thank everyone who has helped me find out about the farmhouse and what is now on that site.

kelly:)

I lived on the Beeches as a child just off Beeches Road near the brook. There was an exhibit in Blakesley Hall of some of Booths "coins". My mother took me there several times to see them as she had explained the history of the farm and locality. Don't know if they are still on exhibition as I havent been there since the early/mid 70's when I took my two eldest along.
DJRVST

Back