• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Boer War

sheri

master brummie
I have a distant relative - James Sutton b. 1874 Kilkenny Ireland. He is one of many children of Alfred Sutton b. 1840 in Army for 22 years in Corps of Armourers. I think he joined the Army about 1894 - I couldn't find him after this or in Boer War records - in 1911 he was stationed at the Castle, in South Africa - says married but I can't find that either. Any help would be appreciated.
Sheri

Sheri

Ancestry has his pension records. Attested 22nd June 1894 in Birmingham aged 20 years and 5 months in Royal Artillery number 4520.
Name of next of kin : Wife - Margaret, Whitegate Co. Cork. (his records show he was based in Cork at some time.)
Mother - Lidia - 55 Geach Street, Bham
Father - Alfred Sutton - (crossed out)

Marriage - Margaret Lynch Co. Cork - Parish Church 14.1.1905 - witnesses - Annie Watson & Robert Morris
Children - Mary Margaret 26.5.06 Whitegate, Co. Cork
- cant read first name but second name is Christine 21.12.07 Fort Carlisle? 29.12.07
- Alfred James 13.12.09 Cape Town

There's lots more for you to read:)

Suzanne

Sheri

Margaret (born 1880 County Cork) and children, Mary Margaret, Lydia Christina and Alfred James are on the 1911 census at The Castle, Cape Town, No. 97 Company, RFA.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne, Thank you so much for the information - it's very kind of you to take the time. I have been looking for him for ages - couldn't find much on FMP. I will go to the library and go on Ancestry there - it's good as it cost s nothin g for an hour.
Thanks again,
Sheri

hi,forum..i have almost given up,on a search for my ggfather..i only have a small bit of info..as to regarding his Boer war service record1899-1902..nothin..he was married in 1898..in belfast..n,ireland..st patricks church..john mullan v susan mullan[ russell.].both aged 21..susan is on the 1901 census..[vere st] dock ward.. i found my ggfather on the 1911 census..living in valentine st, belfast..i believe he was in the Militia...can you guys help at all..regards..christy..

Back